Shop NGEN Performance
Shop 500 Madness

Low oil pressure + high oil consumpion/leak + unrelated CEL

Hello everyone. I have a couple of issues I would like some guideance with regarding my 2015 manual Abarth. I doubt these two problems are related to...

Tiers already balanced. In what way? Did he just look at the balance weights on the wheel or did he actually spin them on his machine?

Ok... When I did all the work on the front end, I brought the front tires to get balanced. The tire shop told me they were already balanced. The car...

Need a good tire balancing. Run you car by a good alignment shop....

Tell us how you really feel. LOL

Sounds like a bent axle.

Tire shake at 45mph...

Hi all!
I have just completed a rebuild of my front suspension. I replaced both lower control arms, the left tie rod end, both front and rear...

500 Madness lists a pre-2016 T4 head unit, but all the pictures for it show the T2, which practically eliminates the center vents. There are dozens of...

update if anyone is interested

i found the correct transmission, but its at a dealership in washington. im from massachusetts. theyre selling...

Our car is compatible with the idatalink / maestro system but that's only on double din. I have it in my Toyota, it's nice. Too bad the android models...

The 500 Madness T4 is for Fiats from 2016 and up. I assumed yours is an older model since you were considering the Spiral Audio kit.

There...

MADNESS Spring Savings!

Save $70.00 on this Vertical Chassis Brace Kit by SILA Concepts for your FIAT 500.

Improve the handling...

It really depends on where dealers are. I surprisingly see more Alfas than Fiats around here. I have the feeling it is because the resale value is so...

I only ever seen one Alfa here. Since their reintroduction here....

post her car for sale, on Facebook market....

Nice white Abarth at the 2023 Fiat Freakout

New Milano to Junior!" mixes history and marketing strategy in an interesting way.​

It sounds like it could be a transmission issue or a problem from the car sitting for a while. It's a good idea to have a mechanic check it out.

My Iphone (kind-of) integration

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • babelhoo
    • Apr 2012

My Iphone (kind-of) integration

As I commented in another thread, I have my iphone setup to automatically fire a few actions when connected to the 500 (calling this an “integration” is probably too much). I believe this can be helpful to others with the same device so I’m posting this how-to (bare with me… it’s a bit long just because I’m detailing each step for JB noobs, for anyone who already feels comfortable with iphone’s Activator, it’s just a couple of minutes!)
    For other platform users; let’s not get into childish fanboy comments, I know the iphone is a closed platform by default, that’s why this is needed.

I use the phone for the functions I mostly need in a car stereo; music, GPS/camera-alerts, hands-free phone/SMS,
    The iphone already functions quite well as a music playing device when connected through USB with the 500, mostly as it is recognized as an iPod, so besides playing you can control it with the wheel buttons, have the track name on the stereo’s strip and even go through the library on the tiny cluster screen (not recommended, quite a cumbersome experience). The telephony part continues to integrate vía BT.
    As all runs on the same device, the GPS will mute/fade-out (depending on the app) the music when it has to speak a notification. I use Sygic which is the best of the bunch I tried (especially in my country), also because it let’s me load my own alerts, but this will work with any GPS app.
    Lastly; getting notifications (SMS, WhatsApp, etc) spoken out-loud only when connected to B&M.
    As a bonus with iOS 8; when charging you can invoke Siri by saying “hey Siri”, so music search, SMS reply, etc, became much simpler.

This is explained with an iphone, but will work even better with an ipad (I would love to integrate one, much nicer/flexible and less fuss than a 2 DIN stereo, while keeping B&M and wheel controls, problem is; the 500’s dash it too tiny to put it in an elegant way, that is, no suction cups or dangling cables, please let’s see other’s ideas on how to get it done nicely!)

Here’s a short demonstration of my setup:
    EDIT:
    I just noticed that my original, shaky video was “fixed” by Youtube resulting in it shaking like crazy! So, I removed the original one, stabilized it in my Mac and re-uploaded.

The triggers I have are;
    - When charging AND connected to Blue&Me do ALL the following; unlock device (even if requires an unlock code), pump-up brightness, fire Music app, fire GPS app (in that order, so music plays and the GPS is in the foreground).
    - Spoken notifications over BT while connected to Blue&me
    - upon disconnection from Blue&Me; kill GPS app, put brightness for MY normal level (about 50%), lock device.

To replicate this (or better yet, use it as a starting point for your own setup), these are the steps involved:

1. If you still haven’t jailbreaked your iphone… do it! (before the upcoming 8.2 update). There are a lot of sites explaining how to do it, so I’ll leave this to them. As a reference check: http://www.idownloadblog.com/2014/11...-1-on-windows/
    If you never jailbreaked before, don’t be intimidated, it’s simply a matter of downloading a program to your pc, connect the iphone and click a button. Don’t forget to backup to your PC vía iTunes (pc not iCloud!) before starting in case something does go wrong, you can just revert to that backup.

2. Once on a jailbroken device, you’ll see a new app installed; Cydia, it’s like the appStore for tweaks. most are free, a few are about a buck. Go there and download the following:
    - Activator
    - ActIf
    - Activate Command
    - ByPass
    and if you want spoken notifications, highly recommended, one of these (all 3 are remarkably similar, just download one!):
    Speak-Notification OR Aloud OR Secretary (these are the only paid one in this setup, again, not a big deal, about $1 to $1,50)

I have other tweaks installed, but these are the main ones in the demo.

3. Setting up the spoken notifications is done by just going to the app’s setting (you’ll see a new option in the Iphone’s setting for each new installed tweak).

Here I show Speak-Notification, but it’s almost the same for the other two;

- Applications: set for which app’s notifications you want this tweak to read them out-loud (SMS, WhatsApp, etc)
    - Speak options; set volume, speed, language, select over BT and delay before reading (have it set to 2 seconds)
    - Speak conditions; set it to read only when connected to BT (I also have it set to when headphones are connected, not relevant for car use, but saves me from getting the phone out of my pocket when listening to music in the street and a message arrives)

4. Set the conditions for all the automatic behavior when connecting/disconnecting from car.
    This involves a few tweaks, without going into much detail; Activator is possibly the best tweak available for the iphone, here you setup a series of triggers in pair of event/action, just as an example; when tapping twice on the status bar (event) lock the device (action).
    As you can only have one condition/event with Activator, and we need a combination of two (in our case; charging AND connected to Blue&Me, otherwise these actions would fire even if we have the phone in our pocket in a short journey, or when charging the phone at home), ActIf comes to rescue!
    Finally, there’s also one action that can take place with Activator (well, not completely true, there are a few combinations allowed, but you can’t for example fire two apps for an event), to overcome this limitation we use Activate Command (which essentially sends commands directly to the iphone upon an event). Lets put it all together:

- Go to Actif settings page

and in Bluetooth / Device name put Blue&Me

- Go to Activate command’s setting page

scroll down the settings page and turn “Show Output” to OFF
    Then up for Command 1 put the following;
    killall -9 SygicNaviNative
    if you use Waze instead of Sygic, replace SygicNaviNative with Waze (mind the upper/lowercase!)
    if you use google maps, replace SygicNaviNative with “Google Maps” (it would be: killall -9 “Google Maps” )

for Command 2:
    activator send com.bd452.bypass && sleep 2 && activator send com.apple.Music && activator send com.sygic.world && activator send libactivator.screen.brightness.90

Again, if you use Waze replace com.sygic.world with: com.waze.iphone
    and if you use google maps with: com.google.Maps
    if you use another music app, for example Spotify, replace com.apple.Music with com.spotify.client

- Now head for Activator’s settings page, a few steps here… but the last ones!

If you want the brightness of the device to be modified when connected/disconnected from this “car mode”, you have to create two brightness actions.
    In case you don’t want to affect the brightness, remove the last part from Command 2 in the previous point (this part; && activator send libactivator.screen.brightness.90) also if your high brightness level is not 90, put the correct number in that line.
    Go to “Anywhere” then any event, for example in bluetooth devices “Connected to Blue&Me” then “More” (upper right corner)
    There is an option Set Brightness, set 1 for 50%, save it, and another for 90% (or the level you want as long as you then put the correct number in the command 2 for the brighter level as explained above), save it.

Again to the main Activator settings page, from there “Anywhere” -> “ActIf Conditions” -> “bluetooth condition passed” (note there are 3 bluetooth conditions, set the one with no number) search for the action “Activate Command 2” and tap it to assign it.
    Go again to the main Activator settings page, from there “Anywhere” -> “ActIf Conditions” -> “charging condition passed” search for the action “Activate Command 2” and tap it to assign it. We do the same action for both conditions as we want to have both scenarios covered; when 1st connected to B&M and then to the USB and viceversa.

Now we have to assign these actIf conditions to events, so; again to Activator´s main settings page -> Anywhere -> Bluetooth Devices / Connected to Blue&Me -> ActIf actions: Charging condition
    then; Activator main settings page -> Anywhere -> Power / Connected -> ActIf actions: Bluetooth condition

now to the actions when disconnecting;
    Activator main settings page -> Anywhere -> Bluetooth Devices / Disconnected from Blue&Me -> Activate Command 1
    for the SAME event you can optionally do; (scroll down on the same page) Brightness level 50%
    (Activator will ask if you want to assign multiple actions to this event, reply Yes!)
    and finally, if you want your phone to lock, still on the same page, select: Lock Device (and again confirm you want multiple assignments).

That’s all! I have a few other setting (like two finger swipe to switch between music and gps apps), but these are the important ones and I don’t want this post to become (way) too long.

Sorry if my English isn’t that great…

cheers!
    Last edited by babelhoo; 01-02-2015, 05:41 PM.
  • user name
    • Mar 2014

we have the same mount but mine is set up horizontally on top of the hazard button. admittedly, it's not the best spot but I love that I can do quicker inputs before I set off on my drive without having to reach.

this is a great write up! I was using the similar SBsettings prior to iOS 8. I'd have it launch music + GPS just like you and additionally would have dash command launch when connected to my bluetooth OBD2 module.

Comment

• babelhoo
      • Apr 2012

I was considering moving it to the center... the place I have it is not great, but it's handy as the 500 is so narrow.
      When possible, post a picture of your setup.

Comment

• user name
        • Mar 2014

image by nes☆, on Flickr

...and that's the screen for my backup camera in place of my visor mirror.

Comment

• babelhoo
          • Apr 2012

is that a Golf image in the phone?

Comment

• user name
            • Mar 2014

yes it is.

Comment