Shop NGEN Performance
Shop 500 Madness

Low oil pressure + high oil consumpion/leak + unrelated CEL

Hello everyone. I have a couple of issues I would like some guideance with regarding my 2015 manual Abarth. I doubt these two problems are related to...

Tiers already balanced. In what way? Did he just look at the balance weights on the wheel or did he actually spin them on his machine?

Ok... When I did all the work on the front end, I brought the front tires to get balanced. The tire shop told me they were already balanced. The car...

Need a good tire balancing. Run you car by a good alignment shop....

Tell us how you really feel. LOL

Sounds like a bent axle.

Tire shake at 45mph...

Hi all!
I have just completed a rebuild of my front suspension. I replaced both lower control arms, the left tie rod end, both front and rear...

500 Madness lists a pre-2016 T4 head unit, but all the pictures for it show the T2, which practically eliminates the center vents. There are dozens of...

update if anyone is interested

i found the correct transmission, but its at a dealership in washington. im from massachusetts. theyre selling...

Our car is compatible with the idatalink / maestro system but that's only on double din. I have it in my Toyota, it's nice. Too bad the android models...

The 500 Madness T4 is for Fiats from 2016 and up. I assumed yours is an older model since you were considering the Spiral Audio kit.

There...

MADNESS Spring Savings!

Save $70.00 on this Vertical Chassis Brace Kit by SILA Concepts for your FIAT 500.

Improve the handling...

It really depends on where dealers are. I surprisingly see more Alfas than Fiats around here. I have the feeling it is because the resale value is so...

I only ever seen one Alfa here. Since their reintroduction here....

post her car for sale, on Facebook market....

Nice white Abarth at the 2023 Fiat Freakout

New Milano to Junior!" mixes history and marketing strategy in an interesting way.​

It sounds like it could be a transmission issue or a problem from the car sitting for a while. It's a good idea to have a mechanic check it out.

Does anyone have a dyno of 91 vs (93/94) octane fuels?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • doverosx
    Lifetime Member
    Lifetime Member
    • Jul 2014

Does anyone have a dyno of 91 vs (93/94) octane fuels?

Hello all,

I'm currently running 94 octane (93 octane + 10% ethanol); with my last car, I took 4 years of fill-ups and economy measurements recorded with fuelly and observed approximately 5% better MPGs with 94 octane. I'm hoping for more concrete evidence (Knock retard logs or dynos) that will definitively show some evidence of the stock ECU tuning on a stock car. If that isn't available already, I do have Torque (APP for reading OBD2 on phone) and an OBD2 reader. I can certainly run some logs...hopefully there is a knock retard value. I had to go by the timing advance (provided by VVT signals on the Spec-V.

Please refrain from turning this into a discussion of "that isn't what octane means", "ethanol is good/bad" because there are just way too many already to list and the SRT/petrochemical engineers have already done that homework for us.

Thank you!

2015 Fiat 500 Abarth
    Power:ATM Fender Intake, Forge BOV, ATM FMIC, Tork AutoX Tune, Tork CC Catless DP, Turbosmart WGA, Ragazzon Twin Muffler Cat Back
    Handling: H&R 5mm spacers, El Gato Front Braces, Tork Collars, DoverLabs Coilovers, CPR lower brace, DNA Rear Sway Bar
    Misc: Schrothe QuickFit Harness, OBDLink MX+, Race Tires: 205/45/16 Falken RT660, Street/Drag: 205/45/16 Conti ECS, HAWK HPS5.0
    DSP/D-class (local club classing)
    #notscare
  • Tweak
    Rest In Peace
    • Nov 2012

I know one member (zyxelenator) has been toying with E85, maybe he can offer some useful information.
    Show us your pride in your ride & win free prizes by entering (and winning) Ride of the Month!

Comment

• zyxelenator
      • May 2013

I can't really provide any logs at the moment. Since I'm not at home and not driving my 500t. But per butt dyno 3 gallons of E-85 in tank felt better without AFRs going crazy( per Torque app).
      sigpicDmytriy
      Red 2013 500T
      Forge blow off plate, Injen intake, TMC catless DP, Tork Tune, TuningPros lowering springs, Boomba check valve, Neu-f short shifter adaptor,Red leather shift boot, STS rear sway bar,CPR lower brace bar,CPR engine cover (RED), Madness upper strut bar, Ported TB, Red PTP turbo Blanket,Red HPSI silicone hoses, CPR red X bar, CF hood,AAD AOS, EL Gato braces.
      Silver 2006 BMW 550i -stock
      Silver 2006 Nissan Frontier XE 5 speed -stock

Comment

• moosestang
        Banned
        • Jul 2014

why do you think you are running 94 octane? if the pump says 93, then that is what the octane rating is including the ethanol. You'd get better performance, mpg and less chance of knock with ethanol free 93 octane, if you can find it.

Comment

• doverosx
          Lifetime Member
          Lifetime Member
          • Jul 2014

Originally posted by zyxelenator
          I can't really provide any logs at the moment. Since I'm not at home and not driving my 500t. But per butt dyno 3 gallons of E-85 in tank felt better without AFRs going crazy( per Torque app).
          Ahhhh, perhaps you can lend some insight into whether the Toque app shows a knock retard value; I know that Subaru's have one which is perfect for "this octane vs that octane in this weather" type of comparos. You know...I guess I can go check myself - perhaps after GT6 this evening.

2015 Fiat 500 Abarth
          Power:ATM Fender Intake, Forge BOV, ATM FMIC, Tork AutoX Tune, Tork CC Catless DP, Turbosmart WGA, Ragazzon Twin Muffler Cat Back
          Handling: H&R 5mm spacers, El Gato Front Braces, Tork Collars, DoverLabs Coilovers, CPR lower brace, DNA Rear Sway Bar
          Misc: Schrothe QuickFit Harness, OBDLink MX+, Race Tires: 205/45/16 Falken RT660, Street/Drag: 205/45/16 Conti ECS, HAWK HPS5.0
          #notscare

Comment

• doverosx
            Lifetime Member
            Lifetime Member
            • Jul 2014

Originally posted by moosestang
            why do you think you are running 94 octane? if the pump says 93, then that is what the octane rating is including the ethanol. You'd get better performance, mpg and less chance of knock with ethanol free 93 octane, if you can find it.
            I know I'm running 94 octane because Petro Canada sells 93 octane + 10% ethanol up in Canuckistan (except for some locations in Quebec which are straight up 94 octane with NO ethanol).

Fueling options are 91 without ethanol, 91 with ethanol OR 94 (w/10% ethanol) where I live. I'm really just looking for conclusive evidence on a purely stock basis or maybe a lightly modified basis.

2015 Fiat 500 Abarth
            #notscare

Comment

• moosestang
              Banned
              • Jul 2014

Originally posted by doverosx
              I know I'm running 94 octane because Petro Canada sells 93 octane + 10% ethanol up in Canuckistan (except for some locations in Quebec which are straight up 94 octane with NO ethanol).

Fueling options are 91 without ethanol, 91 with ethanol OR 94 (w/10% ethanol) where I live. I'm really just looking for conclusive evidence on a purely stock basis or maybe a lightly modified basis.
              Well I don't know how they rate the fuel in Canada, but in the US, 93 octane with 10% ethanol is still 93 octane. If you can get 93 or 94 octane ethanol free gas, then that is better than anything with ethanol. ethanol in gas is crap, unless you are running e-85 to make big power.

Oh, i don't need a dyno to know that you aren't going to see any significant gains by running 93 vs 91, unless you have a tune specifically for 93.

Comment

• slowbird
                • Dec 2013

The way Doverosx is explaining it sounds confusing. But up here we have 91. 91 without Ethanol. 93 w/ethanol and Petro Canada gas stations sell what they call Ultra 94 which is 94 Octane with ethanol.

Doverosx, like Moosetang says, if you're filling up with 93 octane. The octane rating is 93 whether there is Ethanol in it or not. You're only running 94 Octane if you're filling up with Ultra 94.

For your original question Dover, a member has done Dyno runs with different ECU/Piggyback setups and has tried using Octane with waaaay higher rating than 94 and it made no difference.

Between 94 and 91 there won't be any noticeable difference. You may notice better fuel economy using the Shell V-Power fuel as it is Ethanol free. There are some studies that show Ethanol decreases fuel economy.
                Last edited by slowbird; 10-27-2014, 10:20 PM.

Comment

• doverosx
                  Lifetime Member
                  Lifetime Member
                  • Jul 2014

Originally posted by slowbird
                  The way Doverosx is explaining it sounds confusing. But up here we have 91. 91 without Ethanol. 93 w/ethanol and Petro Canada gas stations sell what they call Ultra 94 which is 94 Octane with ethanol.

Doverosx, like Moosetang says, if you're filling up with 93 octane. The octane rating is 93 whether there is Ethanol in it or not. You're only running 94 Octane if you're filling up with Ultra 94.

For your original question Dover, a member has done Dyno runs with different ECU/Piggyback setups and has tried using Octane with waaaay higher rating than 94 and it made no difference.

Between 94 and 91 there won't be any noticeable difference. You may notice better fuel economy using the Shell V-Power fuel as it is Ethanol free. There are some studies that show Ethanol decreases fuel economy.
                  Thanks guys and I admit the way I was explaining it was horrible. Our 94 is *only* with 10% ethanol and is a custom blend of 93 octane with the added ethanol to boost it up 1 octane point; at least this is what e-mailing them yields as a response from "petrochem. eng."

I'll do one more fill-up of 94 to ensure that the 87 octane that Peel filled up with is removed successfully. I'll check tomorrow what sort of logging I can expect from Torque and determine what sort of stuff I can expect from my "tests".

2015 Fiat 500 Abarth
                  #notscare

Comment

• slowbird
                    • Dec 2013

Ugh. Peel Chrysler on Lakeshore?

Don't go there. They are awful. It's worth the drive to Gerogetown Chrysler for service. They don't hassle you for service packages and they don't stress me about waranty repairs.

Comment

• doverosx
                      Lifetime Member
                      Lifetime Member
                      • Jul 2014

Originally posted by slowbird
                      Ugh. Peel Chrysler on Lakeshore?

Don't go there. They are awful. It's worth the drive to Gerogetown Chrysler for service. They don't hassle you for service packages and they don't stress me about waranty repairs.
                      That's the one! Good to deal with for the sale, but I'm in Ottawa so I won't be going out of my way to go there for service. Thanks for the tip on Georgetown, I'll check it out of Ottawa dealers end up being stingy.

2015 Fiat 500 Abarth
                      #notscare

Comment