Shop NGEN Performance
Shop 500 Madness

Welcome aboard! Pictures?

LED dome light issue

I've seen a few posts of people having issues with led dome lights but no real answers other than to not use them. Oddly enough though many people use...

Yeah, I'd say they break easily. My neighbor got in my car and the passenger side made an ominous groan. Like you, I don't use the rests but the dog sometimes...

Are they difficult to swap out? I don’t see where the connection is done - does the padding have to be removed from the seats? Any side airbags to...

Texanbrit: You're exactly right!
I pulled it apart today and the overflow hose is sticky and moist.
Everything else looked to be buttoned...

FIAT 500 1.4L SOHC (Naturally Aspirated. Non Turbo)
Ignition Coil
MOPAR 68070492AD

FIAT 500 ABARTH 1.4L SOHC (Turbo)
Ignition...

I believe the Alfa coil packs only work on a Turbo, and Abarth vehicles....

The connection at that side of the radiator is pretty solid, so if it's not the radiator itself then I imagine the coolant is running down the lower coolant...

Cheers from CO!

Hello all, I recently acquired '13 Abarth and decided to join the forum.
I owned in the 90's a Fiat 126p and now the Abarth.
Thanks for all...

There is no light for low coolant, so you need to keep an eye on it. A light means an overheat, and that is something you do not want to do.

F/S - 500X Roof Rails and Crossbars $ 175.00 for all

Purchased for my 2020 Trekking; did not realize will not work with sunroof.

Rails are new in original box. Part #68281916AA.
Crossbars...

Rocco Reviews...

Rock Auto has lots of quality/reasonably priced ignition coil choices for the 2014 N/A Engine, use GOOGLE to find a 5% off...

As we prepare for the 2024 summer season, prepare for some great news about our meets and drives !

Registration is now open, if you'd planning to display your vehicle sign up soon as space is limited, avoid disappointment! 😮

Fiat Club America events are always welcoming and friendly, no animosity or preferential treatment for anyone!

Nice Family environment for...

First off, what brands of bearings are you using? Even a couple of the name brands have been noted to fail (front and rear) on the Fiat. Are you sourcing...

Ah, I've missed you Ted. Yeah, $145 is MSRP (dealer price). Around $16 to replace each unit. That's why people don't go to the dealer until they've checked...

OK, so you guys say Turbo coils won't work on the non-turbo. We know Alfa coils work on the turbo car... but they also work on the N/A models?

Rear Torsion Bar Upgrades...worth it?

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • shadowshaggy
    Super Tech
    Lifetime Member
    • Oct 2013

Indeed sir, cant wait for my monster to arrive
    Mods I don't have:
    cage
    stripped interior
    chassis braces
    cam
    big turbo
    new internals
    ....pretty much everything else

Sponsors:
    Eurocompulsion
    AAD
    Cipher Auto

Pending:
    Megan Racing (coil-overs)

Comment

• cy-clone33
      • Sep 2013

Originally posted by nilfinite
      For normal daily driving, either the Neu-F or the RRM bar will be an improvement to stock. They are both easy to install, whichever one ends up being cheaper should be your choice. There might be some on the classifieds soon with people replacing their bars with Ron's bars.

Now that we have Ron building custom torsion bars, we can start experimenting with them to dial in the rear suspension for racing applications.
      In addition to this ( PLUS THANK YOU ) my bars are currently less $$ than the others, I only have a $20 markup on them
      CPR 2013 NERO 500T (frankenstein) CPR ENGINE COVER , CPR TUNNEL BRACE , CPR INTERIOR X BRACE , E and D TUNE , BOOST FIX , MEGAN RACING COIL OVERS , 2 1/4"DROP, CUSTOM BORIS STRIPES , V4 , GTR RIMS /FALKIN RT613K TIRES , rear seat delete , CPR weld on rear torsion bar assembly.

Comment

• Abarth Fun
        • Apr 2014

As others have pointed out, for a given material the torsional stiffness of a circular cross-section is given by the Polar Moment of Inertia, J

For a circular x-section J = (PI*r^4)/2 or (3.1416*r^4)/2 , where r is the radius of the cross section. So in comparing the stiffness of a 25 mm torsion bar to a (stock) 22 mm bar, calculate the numbers and compare the ratio.

The ratio is 390625/234256, or 1.67

This means that the 25mm bar (if made of the same material) is 67% stiffer than the stock bar. If comparing two bars made of steel, one alloy may be stronger than another but the Shear Modulus, G doesn't vary by much. Hence a round bar of mild steel will be as stiff in bending and in torsion as the equivalent bar of alloy steel ( it won't be as strong though).

Steel has an elastic modulus and shear modulus that is about three times greater than Aluminum ( it also weighs three times as much). Consequently for this application Steel is what is used for these bars.

Having said all of that, what constitutes the OPTIMUM bar diameter for our cars is not so easy to figure. Most reports I've read about the Abarth say it under steers a bit, so I felt it would be a pretty low risk to put on a 25 mm bar. I haven't had any problems with this bar. At some point I should take the car to an empty lot, shut down ESC and drive a constant radius turn at increasing speed until it under steers, over steers, or is pretty neutral. So far as reducing body roll, the thicker bars will help with that although at some point there will be a diminishing return.

So have fun. Realistically, for daily driving you probably won't notice much of a difference, but it's a pretty easy mod to accomplish that can improve the car.

Comment

• cy-clone33
          • Sep 2013

Originally posted by Abarth Fun
          As others have pointed out, for a given material the torsional stiffness of a circular cross-section is given by the Polar Moment of Inertia, J

For a circular x-section J = (PI*r^4)/2 or (3.1416*r^4)/2 , where r is the radius of the cross section. So in comparing the stiffness of a 25 mm torsion bar to a (stock) 22 mm bar, calculate the numbers and compare the ratio.

This means that the 25mm bar (if made of the same material) is 67% stiffer than the stock bar. If comparing two bars made of steel, one alloy may be stronger than another but the Shear Modulus, G doesn't vary by much. Hence a round bar of mild steel will be as stiff in bending and in torsion as the equivalent bar of alloy steel ( it won't be as strong though).

Steel has an elastic modulus and shear modulus that is about three times greater than Aluminum ( it also weighs three times as much). Consequently for this application Steel is what is used for these bars.

Having said all of that, what constitutes the OPTIMUM bar diameter for our cars is not so easy to figure. Most reports I've read about the Abarth say it under steers a bit, so I felt it would be a pretty low risk to put on a 25 mm bar. I haven't had any problems with this bar. At some point I should take the car to an empty lot, shut down ESC and drive a constant radius turn at increasing speed until it under steers, over steers, or is pretty neutral. So far as reducing body roll, the thicker bars will help with that although at some point there will be a diminishing return.

So have fun. Realistically, for daily driving you probably won't notice much of a difference, but it's a pretty easy mod to accomplish that can improve the car.

You are easily smarter than I am..LOL still all that"smart stuff" breaks down to the diameter to the 4th power, and I used numbers instead of percentages to show the drastic differences, 1.67 times compared to 234,000 to 390,000 All rounded numbers of course

Het when did they start teaching physics in SC Im from West Virginia and they havnt started "new math" yet HA HA
          CPR 2013 NERO 500T (frankenstein) CPR ENGINE COVER , CPR TUNNEL BRACE , CPR INTERIOR X BRACE , E and D TUNE , BOOST FIX , MEGAN RACING COIL OVERS , 2 1/4"DROP, CUSTOM BORIS STRIPES , V4 , GTR RIMS /FALKIN RT613K TIRES , rear seat delete , CPR weld on rear torsion bar assembly.

Comment

• nilfinite
            • Feb 2014

Originally posted by cy-clone33
            In addition to this ( PLUS THANK YOU ) my bars are currently less $$ than the others, I only have a $20 markup on them
            Ron is the best. If you are going to be buying a new bar, definitely get it from Ron/CPR. I have one of his awesome torsion bars right now and will be installing it this weekend. I will be providing impressions next weekend at my next autocross event.
            Last edited by nilfinite; 08-16-2014, 04:33 PM.

Comment

• nilfinite
              • Feb 2014

Originally posted by Abarth Fun

Keep in mind that the Neu F (28mm) and RRM (25mm) bars taper down to the stock (22mm) diameter to fit the stock bracket. The tapering decreases the stiffness of the bars. The RRM bar is published 15% stiffer than stock. The Neu-F is published 50% stiffer than stock.

I got a 30mm bar from Ron tapered down to 22mm on the ends. It'll probably be somewhere around 100% stiffer than the stock bar.
              Last edited by nilfinite; 08-16-2014, 04:33 PM.

Comment

• slowbird
                • Dec 2013

Thanks for the replies everyone. So I have tally'd up the replies to this thread and these are the types of replies so far (and yes I'm paraphrasing):

"I haven't installed a bar yet but looking forward to it." x1

"I have installed a bar but haven't driven alot yet to comment." x1

"ZOMG! The BAR is BEST! MUST HAVE!" x1

"Installed bar but with other/supporting mods." x2

"Miscellanious comments." x10

"Yes I installed the bar. yes I like it. No reason not to install it." x2

I started a fresh thread to find out the Pros/Cons to installing a bar from those that have them on their Fiat500/Abarths. I'd like to hear more from people that have installed a bar and what they noticed if anything.

Which bar have you installed on your car. and what difference did you notice?

Originally posted by cy-clone33
                no body has posted a BAD review on any of the after market bars that I am aware of...
                Exactly! I want to give someone the chance to point out any negative traits of a larger rear torsion Bar.

Here's a perfect example: I purchased a certain "shifter accesory" that was getting rave reviews on the forums and websites. No one said anything negative about it. What a great mod.
                As soon as I purchased it someone made a new thread and asked if anyone else was experiencing the same negative effects they were. All of a sudden numerous people were coming forward with their similar problems.

I ended up seling the part at a small hit to my wallet. I don't want the same thing to happen if I purchase a larger rear bar.
                Last edited by slowbird; 08-16-2014, 05:35 PM.

Comment

• shadowshaggy
                  Super Tech
                  Lifetime Member
                  • Oct 2013

My answer to your question was one of the first responses, that being - yes it will affect ride quality. Positively, indeed it will tighten up the rear of the car.

Question to you: How much do you want to tighten the car prior to other suspension mods?

A little - go with a 25mm

Moderate - 28mm

With that in mind, what other mods are you interested in that will relate to suspension?

The negative side of all this? The car will get stiff fast with suspension mods, but it won't wander all over the road whrn its windy or you hit a small bump.

You really need to drive a car with just a new rear bar on it, it is easier to understand once you drive a car with it installed.
                  Last edited by shadowshaggy; 08-16-2014, 05:37 PM.
                  Mods I don't have:
                  cage
                  stripped interior
                  chassis braces
                  cam
                  big turbo
                  new internals

Sponsors:
                  Eurocompulsion
                  AAD
                  Cipher Auto

Pending:

Comment

• slowbird
                    • Dec 2013

Originally posted by shadowshaggy
                    My answer to your question was one of the first responses, that being - yes it will affect ride quality. Positively, indeed it will tighten up the rear of the car.
                    I apologize Shaggy, and I do NOT want to start an argument but you did not answer my question. Your quoted response is below:

I will be installing the largest rear torsion bar for this car in a few weeks, waiting for the brackets to be made , and I will be talking about it after the install.
                    Very interesting, and I'm excited to hear about the large bar but not a review of your experience with a installed bar on your Fiat.

I say largest because it is going to be the only one in the world made and I assume I will break something lol
                    Again...very interesting. AND I'm not being sarcastic. It is interesting and I'm looking forward to your review!

Driving wise, mine will be uncomfortable daily duty; the 25mm is good daily and good for a spirited drive. The 28mm is a little stiffer, so I would recommend, for example, the CPR 25mm with new brackets. That way you get a solid 25mm bar with new brackets, not tapered to the 22mm mounts.
                    Do you have a 25mm CPR bar installed? Do you have a 28mm bar? What bar is currently installed on your car that you can give me a review on how it feels over stock.

Question to you: How much do you want to tighten the car prior to other suspension mods?
                    I don't neccesarily want to tighten the suspension. But I like the claimed effects of adding a larger bar. (i.e. making the car more stable, reducing understeer, reduce twitchness etc etc etc )

With that in mind, what other mods are you interested in that will relate to suspension?
                    IMO the ride is too bouncy, twitchy, and rough as it is. I f I were to do anything it'd be adjustable Koni's front and rear.
                    Last edited by slowbird; 08-16-2014, 06:02 PM.

Comment

• shadowshaggy
                      Super Tech
                      Lifetime Member
                      • Oct 2013

See pm, I will butt out of this conversation.
                      Last edited by shadowshaggy; 08-16-2014, 06:59 PM.
                      Mods I don't have:
                      cage
                      stripped interior
                      chassis braces
                      cam
                      big turbo
                      new internals

Sponsors:
                      Eurocompulsion
                      AAD
                      Cipher Auto

Pending:

Comment

• Gundy
                        Lifetime Member
                        Lifetime Member
                        • Nov 2013

The red bars and yellow shocks are pretty too. Just saying.
                        2013 Abarth

Comment

• Tweak
                          Rest In Peace
                          • Nov 2012

Originally posted by Rossonero404
                          Anybody have the Road Race bar? Thoughts?
                          Yes. I have the rear RRM bar and the front braces from RRM as well as Bilsteins and I like them all a great deal. My thoughts were mentioned previously.
                          Show us your pride in your ride & win free prizes by entering (and winning) Ride of the Month!

Comment

• Haring
                            Lifetime Member
                            • Feb 2012

Originally posted by Gundy
                            The red bars and yellow shocks are pretty too. Just saying.
                            Agree
                            2018 Luminoso Orange 500c Lounge - H&R/Koni - Abarth Interior, 17" Wheels & Exhaust

Comment

• slowbird
                              • Dec 2013

I recently drove an Abarth with Bilstiens and on anything but smooth surfaces I found the ride Bone Jarring. I couldn't live with that as a daily driver but boy did it look nice.

Everyone has different preferences...hence my request for everyones experiences with an upgraded rear bar.

Comment

• cy-clone33
                                • Sep 2013

If you are wanting to tighten the steering and not worried about racing etc I would buy a lower chassis brace and a set of the RRMS corsa chassis braces RRMS has the corsa on sale for $189 and I sell the lower brace for $100 shipped, it would be worth while to ask as you have here about the effect on understeer

I have over 30 of the lower braces on the road including tweaks car I am confident that you will here nothing negative about the quality or performance

Comment