500 Madness

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Fiat 500 Abarth Automatic Video

Fiat 500 Abarth Automatic Video

Fiat500USA.com Has Just Posted the Following:

With the new 2015 Fiat 500 Abarth Automatic set to arrive at Fiat Studios by the end of summer, Matt Davis, Head of Product Marketing and Jason Stoicevich, Head of Fiat Brand for North America, give an overview of some of the features and rational behind the car.

Read about it here...

abarth500forum.com fiat124spiderforum.com fiat500lusaforum.com fiat500xforum.com

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Fiat500USA For This Useful Post:

Andree (07-07-2014)

Chief Car Looker Upperer Lifetime Member Andree's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,152 Times in 897 Posts
    Guess of 20-30% increase in sales? That would certainly make Fiat very happy.

I had to laugh at the "we're going for a younger demographic" in regards to the automatic being offered. In my youth was when the stick shift was used, it's now that I have health issues that I find I need the automatic.

But, they're right on top of all the reasons to bring in an automatic, and have tried to duplicate the manual experience the best they can.

Very glad they're keeping the Abarth Experience, including the automatic. I'm hoping that once folks have a chance to see both vehicles, head to head, that perhaps some of the angst about an automatic Abarth will disappear.

Wish there was a way to get current manual owners into the automatic for a decent test drive. Because the manual owners are the ones who can best rate the new automatic in terms of how close it comes to the manual. What similarities there are, and what is different, from a true driver's perspective.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Andree View Post
    ...Because the manual owners are the ones who can best rate the new automatic in terms of how close it comes to the manual. What similarities there are, and what is different, from a true driver's perspective.
    Sorry to disagree Andree. I am sure that there would be a lot of biased opinions for a variety of reasons. Also, it seems like you are implying that "true drivers" drive manuals and those that drive autos are not "true drivers." Two different approaches to the same end IMHO. There are some things that this AT does that mimics a manual, but there are also other things that it does that expose that it is a completely different animal. Just in terms of the gears themselves, you are asking for someone to compare a fairly close ratio 5 spd to a touring set up 6 spd. Not really comparable IMHO.
    2013 Sport Argento SR
    Neu-F Springs|STS Rear Bar|Koni Rear Shocks|Norcal SS Rear Bumpstops|16mm Wheel Spacers|RRM Upper and Mid Chassis Braces|Subframe Collars|Trimmed Neu-F Torque Arm Insert|Madness Niveus CAI|E+D ECU Phase 2|TMC AutoFlash TCU Tune|ADD Oil Catch Can|MPx Underdrive Pulley Kit|Magnaflow 15088|Go-Pedal|Custom CF Shift Knob|3G Customs Engine Cover|Grigio Dash & Mirror Caps|Necking Knob|Mopar Hitch

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by lammie200 View Post
    Sorry to disagree Andree. I am sure that there would be a lot of biased opinions for a variety of reasons. Also, it seems like you are implying that "true drivers" drive manuals and those that drive autos are not "true drivers." Two different approaches to the same end IMHO. There are some things that this AT does that mimics a manual, but there are also other things that it does that expose that it is a completely different animal. Just in terms of the gears themselves, you are asking for someone to compare a fairly close ratio 5 spd to a touring set up 6 spd. Not really comparable IMHO.
    Oh! I didn't mean it to come across as the way it sounds. The people who are already Abarth drivers are all manual drivers too. Because that's all there is right now. Seeing as how they have driven the manual, in some cases for years, they would be the ones who I would be very interested in getting the feedback from. I want to compare Abarth to Abarth, and I want to have seasoned manual Abarth drivers checking out the automatic Abarth.

True drivers roughly equals experienced drivers or seasoned drivers, in regards to the current manual transmission Abarth. That is different from "Average guy at auto magazine/review site". The reviews that come in from people who have not been long term Abarth drivers may be significantly different. Maybe they'll compare the two, in a jiffy, just by hopping in each, on one day.

But I want to hear from the people who have been jumping into their manual Abarth every day, who will quickly note the differences, perhaps in handling or acceleration or feel of the car in general. They'll already be totally used to the feel of their own Abarth, whether stock or modified.

True as in:
    accurate or exact.
    "it was a true depiction"
    synonyms: accurate, true to life, faithful, telling it like it is, fact-based, realistic, close, lifelike

I expect the long time Abarth manual drivers will not mince words, and may also provide some very good feedback.

I mean, the car looks the same, the seats will probably feel the same, but when you start up the automatic, does it have the same growl? That will be the very first thing noticed by the long term manual Abarth drivers.

I think it would be especially cool to do a blind passenger ride, in both Abarths, and ask people after the drive is over to figure out if they were in an automatic or a manual.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Andree View Post
    ...I want to compare Abarth to Abarth...

...and I want to have seasoned manual Abarth drivers checking out the automatic Abarth...
    Apples to oranges. And I am sure that there will be quite a few existing Abarth drivers checking out new AT's just out of curiosity. I am sure there will be some opinions posted on these forums. I also think that people won't realize that most everything that they do not like about the AT can be sorted to work to their satisfaction.

If you can't tell I like debating the AT vs. MT issues. I have owned more MT's than AT's in the past. I don't see the enthusiast versus non-enthusiast argument as being valid. I view AT's as techno-savvy and MT's as mechanically basic. I like some things that are more basic like non-tremolo electric guitars. But I also like some tech things like computers. We are living in the year 2014 and it is nice that we have so many choices for products that are either one or the other, or a blend of the two.
    Last edited by lammie200; 07-07-2014 at 10:43 PM.
    2013 Sport Argento SR
    Neu-F Springs|STS Rear Bar|Koni Rear Shocks|Norcal SS Rear Bumpstops|16mm Wheel Spacers|RRM Upper and Mid Chassis Braces|Subframe Collars|Trimmed Neu-F Torque Arm Insert|Madness Niveus CAI|E+D ECU Phase 2|TMC AutoFlash TCU Tune|ADD Oil Catch Can|MPx Underdrive Pulley Kit|Magnaflow 15088|Go-Pedal|Custom CF Shift Knob|3G Customs Engine Cover|Grigio Dash & Mirror Caps|Necking Knob|Mopar Hitch

Thanks
    I love my Lounge. I do not want to sell him. Now I want two. Damnit.

Thanks
    I really don't want an auto but since my wife can't drive standard trasmissions my Sport has caused some inconvenience. If i could use an automatic to justify an Abarth as a "family need" so much the better!

Thanks
    Thanked 2,401 Times in 1,964 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by papermaker View Post
    I really don't want an auto but since my wife can't drive standard trasmissions my Sport has caused some inconvenience. If i could use an automatic to justify an Abarth as a "family need" so much the better!
    I may personally prefer the manual but in a case like this I have to say I really like the way you think...good luck convincing the wife!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by papermaker View Post
    hahahahaha!

It IS a valid point though. You never know when there will be an emergency, where she will need to drive. Like if you were both on a trip in the Sport, and you broke your leg. That's not really the best time to be teaching her how to drive the stick.

Thanks
    gross... Having a slushbox option for the Abarth dilutes the pedigree. Now of you want to go for a high performance flappy paddle DSG I would be down for that.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast