Shop NGEN Performance
Shop 500 Madness

FWIW, Edmunds pricing guide here. ...

My Neighbor leased a Giulia and traded it in for a Stelvio. The Alfa dealer is in the next county.

I totally agree with you & Firefly is a great analogy (but 'Serenity' is one of my favorite ever movies!)
No resolution re. Fiat posts only...

I was thinking about this post today on my way to work and saw a Giulia. I see a 500 maybe once every two weeks.

Looking good. What I usually do with the inside of the tailpipes is spray some WD40 on something soft like Never Dull Cotton Wading. After that, a chrome...

All of the tires were spin balanced. I think I have it figured it out thanks to the you! I took the car into the dealer to get the oil changed and asked...

Check the coolant recovery tank if you haven't already...

Will these wheels fit? good deal maybe

4x100mm, 43mm off set....I believe... Good summer tires on them.

Would these fit? Anyway to make it work? I know I need the wobble bolts...

A thing of beauty is a joy forever...
inside exhaust pipes need cleaning.
The outside are waxed, I'm reluctant to clean the inside with anything...

Below are the manufacturer's oil consumption guidelines we've published in previous posts. Depending on how you drive, and the maintenance done on the...

MADNESS Spring Savings!

Save $30.00 on this Silver MegaWeight Shift Knob for your FIAT 500.

Improve your driving experience...

Edit to my post: This morning the car felt like it was misfiring as the low pressure warning flashed on again. I'm definitely going to have to avoid driving...

I see tons of Alfas around here, but I live near wealthy East Coast enclaves. Stevios are especially popular....

For item one, check the gas cap. There is an O-ring that gets brittle with age. Generally a squirt of lithium grease or something similar will refresh...

Low oil pressure + high oil consumpion/leak + unrelated CEL

Hello everyone. I have a couple of issues I would like some guideance with regarding my 2015 manual Abarth. I doubt these two problems are related to...

Tiers already balanced. In what way? Did he just look at the balance weights on the wheel or did he actually spin them on his machine?

Ok... When I did all the work on the front end, I brought the front tires to get balanced. The tire shop told me they were already balanced. The car...

500 Madness Short Shifter Adapter - DIY

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • shadowshaggy
    Super Tech
    Lifetime Member
    • Oct 2013

500 Madness Short Shifter Adapter - DIY

This is the Madness DIY, appears that it's probably install instructions for a 2012 model or maybe it's just a Pop/Sport/Lounge. Either way, this install is on a Sept 2013 build of a 2013 Abarth. There are a few subtle differences that will cause you to have to spend a few extra minutes, but with two screwdrivers and under 20 minutes (including two trips back into the house) this is in the car.

20140616_182328_Android.jpg20140616_182537_Android.jpg20140616_182551_Android.jpg20140616_182612_Android.jpg
    Attached Files
    Last edited by shadowshaggy; 06-16-2014, 08:30 PM.
    Mods I don't have:
    cage
    stripped interior
    chassis braces
    cam
    big turbo
    new internals
    ....pretty much everything else

Sponsors:
    Eurocompulsion
    AAD
    Cipher Auto

Pending:
    Megan Racing (coil-overs)
  • shadowshaggy
    Super Tech
    Lifetime Member
    • Oct 2013

See pic 2 20140616_182537_Android.jpg, there are two primary differences between the install they have posted and the install I'm working on. 1. The mount that has the white mounting tabs in the newer Abarth's is black and has a few more tabs holding it into place. You will have to spend a few extra minutes sorting that out, but still - 5-7 minutes you'll have that part sorted out.

2. It says to remove the shifter from the car, you cannot do that and have the adapter installed as well. The bar that sticks out of the left side of the shifter has a retaining clip, again see above picture it's the "V" shaped clip that is about 2 inches long and makes it difficult to work around.
    Last edited by shadowshaggy; 06-16-2014, 08:30 PM.
    Mods I don't have:
    cage
    stripped interior
    chassis braces
    cam
    big turbo
    new internals

Sponsors:
    Eurocompulsion
    AAD
    Cipher Auto

Pending:

Comment

• shadowshaggy
      Super Tech
      Lifetime Member
      • Oct 2013

All right ladies & gentlemen, let's get this ball rolling

Pic 1: 20140616_182551_Android.jpg You don't have to remove the shift knob nor shift boot to actually do this work. It's a little bit in the way, but you don't have to remove it if you don't want. Pop up the shift boot and then pop up the plastic trim around the shift boot. Pull strait up from the bottom side, where 2-4-R is on the shifter, and don't pull very hard. Gentle yank and you're good there. The top piece: 20140616_182612_Android.jpg has 3 tabs that go into the bottom of the HVAC control panel at a 90 degree angle, so when you pop up the bottom, make a point to rotate it out from the bottom up towards the dash panel. Remove the two window connectors for the windows, the retainer clip is on the bottom at the very end of the clip. Once it's in hand, you'll see what I'm talking about - very small clip and doesn't take much pressure to remove them. You then rotate the shift boot (if you want to not have to remove it and shift knob) 90 degrees up and slide it through the plastic trim piece - it only goes one way through there and again - you'll figure it out when it's in hand.

So now that you have the plastic trim piece off, just pull strait up on the shift boot and over the knob so it's not too much in the way.

Now for the fun!!!! First, take a 1/4" flathead screwdriver and pop off the two shift cables, the bottom one is really easy, but the left one is sort of a pain.... Take a small 1/8" screwdriver, flathead, and pop up the retainer clips that hold the black/white retainer into the shifter assembly. It's more difficult than it sounds and more difficult than the pics make it look, but just be patient and it'll all be over in like 5 minutes. So now that we're past the most difficult part, you should be about the 10 minute mark - maybe 15.

For the interesting part, leave the 2" "V" shaped retainer clip on the left-hand side, and pivot the shifter towards the steering wheel. Now per the instructions, on the piece that's welded into the shifter - and install the Madness Short Shift Adapter (it only goes on one way ) and make sure you use the provided thread locker (blue) and then hand-tight + 1/4-1/3 turn with a 4MM allen key. I believe the instructions say 5mm, but either my allen keys are wrong or these are different screws. Either way, bring a set and you won't have a problem.

Now, you'll have to rotate the shifter assembly back towards the bottom right hand corner and rotate the shift adapter in and have to love tap it just a little bit to get it over the little hump on the center console. Not a big deal, but again you'll just have to maneuver it a little. If you take the "V" shaped retainer off and remove the shifter from the car, you will not be able to reinstall the shifter without a huge ordeal. I tried it, no bueno I promise.

After you rotate the assembly back into position, set the shifter/retainer assembly into its hole and tap the top of the shift knob. Take the larger of your two flathead screwdrivers and give each of the locking tabs a light tap and you'll hear a click when it snaps back into place. Take the bottom shift cable and (if you have little hands) squeeze the cable into the bolt head of the shifter adapter. If you have larger hands, take a long pair of pliers (long needle nose suggested) and snap the cable end onto the bolt. Take the 1/4" flathead screwdriver and snap on the left side shift cable, pretty well falls back on. Not very difficult, takes about a minute each on the two cables back on - less if you've done something similar before.

The hardest part....slide the plastic trim piece back over the shift boot (turn upright 90 degrees and slide back through the trim piece) and stick the top into the HVAC panel, rotate it in and then snap in place. Snap the shift boot back into place and wiggle the shifter around and make sure there are no kinks in it. Obviously you can do that after you snap it in place and clip the cables back on, and before you reassemble the shifter trim & shift boot - take your pick, makes 30 seconds of difference

All in all, should take you about 15-20 minutes to remove and install this unit; if it takes longer, you took too long

Initial impressions, I have to disagree with the mention that this will lock the shifter into gear. It'll still slide out of gear similar to how the factory one does, but it'll be ok. Don't pull on the shifter and it won't do that Took it for a 6-7 mile road trip and aside from a significant amount less of sloppy shifter (kinda hard to get used to in that length of time) I dig it. So your shift throws are reduced by 50%ish and feels a bit odd for a few minutes, you'll smooth over-rev a few shifts after you run down the road; but not any different than say driving a car you haven't driven in a while or one you've never driven before.

I do like the short shift adapter, don't get me wrong, but it will take a little getting used to no doubt about that. For those of you who would like a vastly improved shift throw and not have to chase 1-2-3 gear, 4-5 are fine factory, but 1-2-3 are a little fuzzy most of the time; you'll love this addition. For all of $110 and 15-20 minutes, this is one of the best $ for $ upgrades that will help you be on point for your shifts. Again, a real short shifter would be cool and all, but if $300 for one is not in the budget - this is absolutely the right way to go. I would like if a little better if there were a way to "lock" shifts into gear, but that would also require a whole shifter assembly - not this and not a short shifter, more like the $2500 dogleg shifter from the BiPosto; but this is a great product for it's price and would happily get another for the other Fiat if I had purchased it yet....getting there.
      Mods I don't have:
      cage
      stripped interior
      chassis braces
      cam
      big turbo
      new internals

Sponsors:
      Eurocompulsion
      AAD
      Cipher Auto

Pending:

Comment

• MADNESS Kevin
        Official Sponsor
        • Feb 2014

Thank for the for install DIY! Glad that you enjoy the piece!
        Check out 500MADNESS.com for the largest selection of FIAT 500 Parts and Accessories in stock at the lowest prices.

We service, customize and modify! Give us a call at 562-981-6800.
        Stay Connected: Facebook | Twitter | Tumblr | Google+ | Instagram (500MADNESS)

Comment

• BigT
          • Apr 2013

So it's possible to install this piece without completely removing the center console or whatever it's call that surround the shifter?
          2013 Grigio Abarth
          17" Hyperblack wheels
          Beats audio package
          EC R3T V2 Intake
          Boomba Valve

Comment

• shadowshaggy
            Super Tech
            Lifetime Member
            • Oct 2013

Originally posted by BigT
            So it's possible to install this piece without completely removing the center console or whatever it's call that surround the shifter?
            Yes, if you pop up the shift boot and the trim piece with the window switches - that's all you have to do. Thought about a video DIY, but then decided it is too hot outside and sucks. So, picture DIY
            Mods I don't have:
            cage
            stripped interior
            chassis braces
            cam
            big turbo
            new internals

Sponsors:
            Eurocompulsion
            AAD
            Cipher Auto

Pending:

Comment

• Tweak
              Rest In Peace
              • Nov 2012

Originally posted by shadowshaggy
              Yes, if you pop up the shift boot and the trim piece with the window switches - that's all you have to do. Thought about a video DIY, but then decided it is too hot outside and sucks. So, picture DIY
              I still want the video...okay this works fine, thanks for adding. Stuck.
              Show us your pride in your ride & win free prizes by entering (and winning) Ride of the Month!

Comment

• Abarthsc
                • Feb 2014

I posted a thread about linkage differences somewhere, not all have the V shape spring and those without are a breeze to work with
                2013 Bianco Abarth Isobelle (Izzy)

2014 Bianco Pop

Keep calm and carry corner speed

Comment

• Bomiz
                  • May 2014

I just followed the nue-f one without shaving the piece. Worked like a charm!
                  2013 Blanco Abarth
                  Tork Boost Leak Fix | RRM U3 ECM | CPR Rear Torsion Bar | CPR Lower Brace Bar | EC v2 Intake | Bilstein Coilovers | RRM Chassis Braces | Rally Armor Mud Flaps | Custom Axle-Back | Madness Short Shift Adapter | Subwoofer | MPX Throttle Body |

Comment

• shadowshaggy
                    Super Tech
                    Lifetime Member
                    • Oct 2013

Originally posted by Bomiz
                    I just followed the nue-f one without shaving the piece. Worked like a charm!
                    I didn't cut anything? I said trim piece, not to trim a piece. The panel with the window switches is called a trim piece.
                    Mods I don't have:
                    cage
                    stripped interior
                    chassis braces
                    cam
                    big turbo
                    new internals

Sponsors:
                    Eurocompulsion
                    AAD
                    Cipher Auto

Pending:

Comment

• phade
                      • Nov 2013

He is saying that he followed the Nue-F install guide which calls for filing down a certain piece during install, except he did not do any filing and the install went swimmingly.

Comment

• shadowshaggy
                        Super Tech
                        Lifetime Member
                        • Oct 2013

Ah never looked at that one.
                        Mods I don't have:
                        cage
                        stripped interior
                        chassis braces
                        cam
                        big turbo
                        new internals

Sponsors:
                        Eurocompulsion
                        AAD
                        Cipher Auto

Pending:

Comment

• Thad
                          • Jun 2011

Just did this on my Abarth. I didn't even need to pull the shifter out. I just popped off the linkage and screwed the adapter on. I had several different length allen wrenches and it was pretty easy to do. Didn't take more than about 10 minutes. Great feel! Glad I did it!
                          Thad Kirk
                          Board Member -FIAT Club America www.FiatClubAmerica.com
                          1965 Fiat 600D
                          1971 Fiat 850 Racer
                          1981 Fiat Spider 2000
                          1984 Pininfarina Azzurra
                          2013 Abarth
                          sigpic

Comment