500 Madness

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: 16,000 miles. Front pads and rotors require replacement on my dime.

Thanks
    It looks like something got stuck in my rear brakes. Left rear has two nice grooves in it. Going to replace. Does seem like a bad design as I have never experienced this with any other car I have owned. The 12 month/12K mile warranty is up on them. 2013 with 10,100 on the clock. Sucks too cause I just had debris blown out not too long ago.

With that said, are the OE rotors special in anyway? Brembo blanks or anything? I think I read they are floating rotors or something so staying OE is best? Or should I just replace with some R1 Premium replacements? I found the OE rotors on the mopar parts site but there are two listed. One is w/o performance and one is with performance brakes. They are both listed under abarth so not sure which is correct. 5154238AA vs 68137324AA. I might just get all OE stuff and wait till all four rotors and pads need changing to get better ones.

These cars use floating calipers, not rotors. This is the size rotor you need: 11.1 x 0.86 (282 x 22) vented. The original equipment rotors are high quality. Hard to say what the aftermarket will be. Stuff from a retail or discount parts store will most likely be inferior. I've never had a problem with Brembo replacement rotors. Zimmerman replacement ones also look good.

abarth500forum.com fiat124spiderforum.com fiat500lusaforum.com fiat500xforum.com

Thanks
    The design is basically the same on every vehicle so not really anything to do with a bad design. Rotor, floating one or two piston caliper and a dust shield. Without getting super technical, the only differences between vehicles are how it all bolts to the spindle, piston size of the caliper and whether or not your parking brake is in the rotor hat or built into the caliper.

Unless you're picky about the look of it, I wouldn't replace everything just because there are a couple of grooves. Wont hurt braking performance in any way or detrimental to the safety of the vehicle. But its not my money. lol
    2016 Ceramic Metallic MX-5 w/ Brembo/BBS

Thanks
    Im going to go with the original rotors are piss poor quality as ive seen numerous complaints about needing all new brakes and rotors on cars with very low mileage.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Jkitten23 View Post
    Im going to go with the original rotors are piss poor quality as ive seen numerous complaints about needing all new brakes and rotors on cars with very low mileage.
    Could be from driving in panic mode. I see that a lot. Over cautious personalities make for short brake life.
    2013 Rosso Abarth 5spd Bianco 17s Cooper Zeon RS3-A
    "It feels like you have no suspension! Why does it explode when you shift? IS YOUR CAR ILLEGAL??" ~ My Mom

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Trunkout For This Useful Post:

SeaDawg (10-02-2016)

Quote Originally Posted by Jkitten23 View Post

I don't know about that. The brake discs are supplied by Brembo and you'll be hard pressed to find anything better. Certainly not from a retail parts store like Advanced, etc. or a discount internet store. Brake wear is a very personal matter, and you will never know all the details of how and where someone drives, or the maintenance of their car. Take what you read with a grain of salt.

http://www.autonews.com/article/2011...-2012-fiat-500

abarth500forum.com fiat124spiderforum.com fiat500lusaforum.com fiat500xforum.com

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Fiat500USA For This Useful Post:

SeaDawg (10-02-2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,004 Times in 598 Posts
    The thread title reads like this was a sudden brake failure FIAT should have paid out to replace.

[In reality] I would liken this to a rodent getting into & chewing through wiring. One wouldn't expect to get a warranty replacement for that. I don't know why this particular situation would come as a surprise.

It sucks, but it happens.
    Vivere.Amare.Guidare.

http://cc5club.blogspot.com/

https://www.pinterest.com/CC5Club/

https://www.facebook.com/CC5Club

... there is only one way to drive a small FIAT, and that is without mercy. - James May

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Amacento For This Useful Post:

SeaDawg (10-02-2016)

Premium Member Southernroadrunner's Avatar
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Amacento View Post
    The thread title reads like this was a sudden brake failure FIAT should have paid out to replace.

[In reality] I would liken this to a rodent getting into & chewing through wiring. One wouldn't expect to get a warranty replacement for that. I don't know why this particular situation would come as a surprise.

It sucks, but it happens.
    Yes sir agreed !!!!
    2015 Abarth (Gray)
    Advan- RSII 17x7.5
    Advan Yokohama - AD08R 215/40/17
    EUROCOMPULSION
    - V4.1 AIR INDUCTION SYSTEM
    EUROCOMPULSION - TORQUE SOLUTIONS BOV

MADNESS - EIBACH PRO SPRING KIT
    MADNESS - HOOD LIFT KIT

FIATTECH
    - TROFEO FRONT SPOILER

!!! ROLL TIDE !!!!

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Southernroadrunner For This Useful Post:

SeaDawg (10-02-2016)

Lifetime Member Lifetime Member SeaDawg's Avatar
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fiat500USA View Post
    I don't know about that. The brake discs are supplied by Brembo and you'll be hard pressed to find anything better. Certainly not from a retail parts store like Advanced, etc. or a discount internet store. http://www.autonews.com/article/2011...-2012-fiat-500
    WOW! I somehow missed that Brembo made the brake discs way back when I bought my 2012 Sport in May of 2011. I do know that I've never had any problem with the brakes on any of the 3 previous FIATs I've owned, with the exception of the rear pads sticking to the rotors if you leave it parked too long with the parking brake on. And even then they release with a LOUD thunk when you give it a little gas to start out and work fine.

The current 2016 Sport only has a little over 300 miles.
    Max
    FIAT Number 1:
    2012 Rosso Sport - 5M
    FIAT Number 2:
    2013 Grigio Abarth - 5M
    FIAT Number 3:
    2013 Bianco Perla Pop - 6A
    FIAT Number 4:
    2016 Verde Chiaro Sport (Automatic)
    Avorio Interior
    Automatic Temperature Control A/C
    UConnect Touch Screen with AM/FM/Sirius Radio

2016.5 Mazda CX5 Grand Touring

Thanks
    Bon't be fooled. Brembo oe rotors are garbage, IME. Read the reviews online. I too got fooled by the brembo name. The Brembo replacement rotors I got for my last car with smaller in diameter than the OE rotors, they were thicker, I had to grind my new pads down to fit properly, and the Hat was thicker than stock, so I had to get new lugs so I could get 6 turns.

Get Centric rotors and pads. They are SUPERB quality.
    Last edited by mattjk; 10-02-2016 at 07:37 PM.
    2016 Abarth Nero 5spd nav beats black lights sunroof.
    2016 Mercedes GLC Black.
    2015 Smart Fortwo Electric Drive on Volk TE37's.
    2009 Lotus Elise Purist White.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast