500 Madness

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: 16,000 miles. Front pads and rotors require replacement on my dime.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,246 Times in 1,847 Posts
    I have read more than once about foreign items being caught between the pads and rotors so I am not shocked by reading this, maybe there could have been a poor design but I can't see it being covered by a warranty. It does suck that is for sure and I wouldn't be happy about it but I'd probably buy the parts I want and have the dealer install them if I couldn't drive the car. Good luck with the repair and also the eventual sale, sorry you've had such problems.

Maybe you can buy the parts and give them to the dealer to install. I would be more apt to blame the crappy roads, which are at an all time high this year. It also might be a good idea to actually have them show you what is wrong with the brakes. Maybe the debris can be cleared out and you can drive it.

If you are just selling the car, brakes are really cheap at a place like autozone.

abarth500forum.com fiat124spiderforum.com fiat500lusaforum.com fiat500xforum.com

Thanks
    If it was indeed debris in your brakes then you can't expect warranty to cover, now if the pad disintegrated and is the debris, that might be covered. I'm assuming it's on only one brake disc/caliper?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by roy23 View Post
    Why not just buy the rotors and brake pads for $200 thats what i got mine for... Ceramic pads and drilled and slotted rotors just the front ones the rear are fine for me, definitly worth the money and way better over stock...."no more brake dust"
    Have the ceramic pads cured the brake dust for you? I made the mistake of getting the white wheels on my 2013 Abarth, can't keep them clean. If ceramic pads will cure that, I'll put a set on immediately!

Thanks
    I am replacing rotors and pads at 16K... and I am not complaining... no foreign object got caught on the front... Got the EBC Green front pads for 63.16 delivered. Set of rotors for 119.98... and an espresso or a few beers and I can replace them myself at home...

Just call it regular maintenance and move one... this car has been so much fun. This is the first real expense that I am doing (all that I have done is have the dealer change filter and oil)...
    Last edited by wachuko; 06-17-2014 at 01:33 PM. Reason: Updated the actual price of the rotors.
    Drive safe!
    Wachuko

1981 FIAT Spider
    A couple of Porsche 911s, a 912, and a BMW X5 Diesel
    2015 FIAT 500 Abarth in Nero
    2015 FIAT 500c 1957 Edition in Retro Light Blue
    2012 FIAT 500 Abarth in Rosso - Now gone...
    Wish List: FIAT Abarth 595 in Podium Blue

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fiat500USA View Post
    Why not pick up a set of brakes from one of the vendors here so you do not have to wait and just do it yourself or have a buddy help you? Should cost a lot less than $500.
    I second this option. Why replace when you can upgrade!

Thanks
    Thanked 2,246 Times in 1,847 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Welchlin View Post
    I second this option. Why replace when you can upgrade!
    3+

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by wachuko View Post
    Got the EBC Green front pads for 63.16 delivered. Set of rotors for 119.98...
    Was that for the Abarth? Where did you order them from? I'm having a hard time finding OE type rotors for the Abarth.

Thanks
    OP, are they saying only one side, one corner is ruined? Or are they saying you have multiple corners affected by this?

Thanks
    RoadRace Motorsports
    I have 40,000 miles on my 2012 500 Pop. Bought it new. I bought rotors and pads a few months ago but, when
    I pulled the front wheels off looked like the rotors were wearing perfect and the pads look almost new.
    I had new cars before and always rand the new pads to 40,000 plus.
    I do live in Southern California so, We don't have the crappy weather that you may see in other parts of the USA.
    I can understand something caught between the rotor and pads and i can see rear pad wear if the parking brake is stuck but, i would normally expect brakes on a new car to last more than 16,000 miles.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast