500 Madness

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Thread: 16,000 miles. Front pads and rotors require replacement on my dime.

That's wild. It sounds more like an application problem though, and somebody supplied the wrong rotors to you. I've been using Brembos for like 40 years, both personally and in shops I've worked at. Sold them too. Out of literally thousands of rotors, I have never had or heard of a problem.

The problem with online reviews is you never know the experience of the person writing them. For example, one time I supplied brakes to a writer at a very well known car magazine. During the install gentleman doing the review called me up and had to ask how to bleed brakes. That's mechanics 101, but when you finished reading his review in the magazine he sounded like an engineer with mega-experience.

The other issue with brake rotors is they get blamed for a lot of other issues:

http://www.brakeandfrontend.com/warped-rotors-myth/
    http://www.stoptech.com/technical-su...nd-other-myths

As I generally work exclusively with Italian and German cars, and maybe others have a different experience with Brembos for other makes, but I would never hesitate using them.

abarth500forum.com fiat124spiderforum.com fiat500lusaforum.com fiat500xforum.com

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Fiat500USA For This Useful Post:

mattjk (10-03-2016)

Thanks
    You would think with the internet, car guys should know by now that brakes almost never warp... but yes my brembo oe rotors did hot spot, very badly to the point the car was un-drivable. on a 4cly camry and a civic sedan.

I had a 78 corolla with oem rotors, never changed them, never hot spotted. I know it's not my driving ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by Fiat500USA View Post
    That's wild. It sounds more like an application problem though, and somebody supplied the wrong rotors to you. I've been using Brembos for like 40 years, both personally and in shops I've worked at. Sold them too. Out of literally thousands of rotors, I have never had or heard of a problem.

The problem with online reviews is you never know the experience of the person writing them. For example, one time I supplied brakes to a writer at a very well known car magazine. During the install gentleman doing the review called me up and had to ask how to bleed brakes. That's mechanics 101, but when you finished reading his review in the magazine he sounded like an engineer with mega-experience.

The other issue with brake rotors is they get blamed for a lot of other issues:

http://www.brakeandfrontend.com/warped-rotors-myth/
    http://www.stoptech.com/technical-su...nd-other-myths

As I generally work exclusively with Italian and German cars, and maybe others have a different experience with Brembos for other makes, but I would never hesitate using them.
    2016 Abarth Nero 5spd nav beats black lights sunroof.
    2016 Mercedes GLC Black.
    2015 Smart Fortwo Electric Drive on Volk TE37's.
    2009 Lotus Elise Purist White.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to mattjk For This Useful Post:

Fiat500USA (01-04-2017)

Thanks
    The factory rotors on my TSX warped and there was even a TSB about it.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to bryanintowson For This Useful Post:

Fiat500USA (01-04-2017)

Thanks
    What brand and where did you purchase your slotted rotors and brake pads if you don't mind me asking?

Thanks
    Unfortunately stuff happens. We had a Subaru in the shop with 18,000 miles and the rear pads were metal to metal. Here in the North east, pads get stuck in the slides and wear out prematurely. Customer paid for a brake job and understood what happened.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to 4carbcorvair For This Useful Post:

Fiat500USA (01-04-2017)

Thanks

Brake issues

Quote Originally Posted by Ryephile View Post
    Well, let's put it in perspective. Has anyone else here has this foreign object brake problem? Check out NHTSA's complaint system as a sanity check.

My car has about 3k more miles than yours and my brakes are wearing perfectly normal. Have the dealership show and explain to you what got stuck in there. It's entirely possible you rode your brakes or tracked the crap out of them and simply wore them out, and the dealership is just incompetent or playing you for a fool.

As it stands, $#!t happened, the dealer is unhelpful like almost all of them are, and you don't have all the info with regards to the actual failure mode.

Having a new car does not, ever, discount you from experiencing poor customer service. If anything it puts you more in harms way, as you have expectations outside the warranty contract and are socially obliged to patronize the dealership. You'll note none of this has anything to do with Fiat in particular. All dealerships are subject to incompetence and poor customer service. If you had the same mystery foreign object get stuck in your brand new BMW, you'd be on Bimmerforums right now typing the same frustrations.

Ive got a 2012 gucci edition and at 30k i was told brakes and rotors all around. Had my dad look at them and the entire edge on the rotors are crumbling like a broken cookie. So fiat does have some kind of quality issue with rotors. Fiat was going to cover them bcthe second dealership said they were defective but then they called the first dealership id taken it to on numerous occasions for other issues and they ******* there told them it was wear and tear and they decided not to cover them after all.

And i dont know everyones car habits but i do know that ive driven cars that ive put 130k on and have never ever had to change rotors. My kia had to have the rotors turned bc the previous owned didnt change the brakes but my mitsubishi i never needed new rotors and i only put brakes on it two or three times in 130k miles.

My fiat got a new steering column at 30k, front tire rod and everything at 36k as well as new leather on my drivers seat and numerous other small things in between. Ive had this car a year and ive spent more time at the dealership then the ten years i owned my mitsubishi. The fiat is adorable fun to drive and handles well, but im sick of the repair issues.

Thanks
    You gotta be tough to own a FIAT

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Trunkout View Post
    Could be from driving in panic mode. I see that a lot. Over cautious personalities make for short brake life.

My factory rotors are crumbling all around the edge like a broken cookie, so i disagree with you on factory parts being high quality. My leather also got replaced on my drivers seat at 36k miles on my gucci edition fiat. I put 300 miles on my car in three days. Its garaged and never ever leaves pavement nor do i drive in any stop and go traffic. My commute to work is on a double lane highway with one stoplight before i arrive at my destination. I go in to work at nine at night and am off before morning traffic starts. I get another new front axle as soon as its in along with tire rod,ect when the parts arrive. The front axle and everything was just replaced 10k miles ago. My car has never been wrecked. One dealership stated rotors were defective the other claimed wear and tear.

The dealership yesterday told me nothing wrong with my car except brakes until i told the tech the noise was occuring on turns then he found the axle issue once it was put back on the lift. This isnt the dealership who normally services it as lou fusz in O'Fallon and i parted ways after they replaced the axle. I spend no less than five hours at the dealership everytime it gets worked on. Everything has been a warranty repair.

Premium Member Southernroadrunner's Avatar
    Thanks
    Maybe a call to Fiat and maybe they could do something for you to help.
    Last edited by Southernroadrunner; 01-08-2017 at 02:29 AM.
    2015 Abarth (Gray)
    ADVAN- RSII 17x7.5 WHEELS WITH ADVAN YOKAHAMA-AD08R 215/40/17 TIRES
    EUROCOMPULSION
    - V4.1 AIR INDUCTION SYSTEM / TORQUE SOLUTIONS BOV
    EIBACH - SPORTLINES WITH KONI SHOCKS / ENERGY SUSPENSION- REAR THIN ISOLATORS
    MADNESS - HOOD LIFT KIT /
    FIATTECH
    - TROFEO FRONT SPOILER
    CORSA FORZA - REAR TORSION BAR / PROSPORT-BOOST GUAGE

!!! ROLL TIDE !!!!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4