500 Madness

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: 16,000 miles. Front pads and rotors require replacement on my dime.

Thanks

16,000 miles. Front pads and rotors require replacement on my dime.

So last week after letting the car sit for 6 days (i was out of town). I get in my abarth and drive it to chipotle for lunch. On the way back the brakes start howling at me, loud metal on metal screeching unless i step on the brakes. Long story short, goes into the dealer and now they are telling me i need new pads and rotors because a foreign object got stuck between the pad and rotor and ruined both. $500 out of my pocket i will need to pay to fix. Service advisor said he asked about warranty and was denied.

This quite frankly is absurd to me. There is no way in hell i should have to pay the full cost for new brakes at 16,000 miles on a car i dont even do a lot of freeway driving nor commuting in (i work from home). Oh and the parts are backorderd with a wishy washy eta of sometime mid next week. I will only be given a rental for the weekend.

How do i open a ticket with Fiat USA to get resolution here. I am not paying this entire bill because this is the cherry on top of the cake with the list of other issues ive had with this car. Reverse synchro issue (popped out of gear twice), Sideskirts are on their 3rd set that need replacement, headliner peeling, windows tracks clogged causing windows to constantly rattle when up. The list goes on.

I understand brakes are a wear and tear item, i've worked in service before. I would never expect a customer to replace brakes on a car with this low milage due to a poor brake design.

Lifetime Member Lifetime Member SeaDawg's Avatar
    Thanks
    You may call me a 'Fan Boi' if you want, but getting a 'foreign object' caught between the rotor and the pad isn't dependent on how many miles the car has traveled. Personally I think YOU are being unreasonable in expecting FCA to pickup any of the tab to fix this. 'Stuff' happens; man up, fix it, pay for it and move on. YMMV.
    Max
    FIAT Number 1:
    2012 Rosso Sport - 5M
    FIAT Number 2:
    2013 Grigio Abarth - 5M
    FIAT Number 3:
    2013 Bianco Perla Pop - 6A
    FIAT Number 4:
    2016 Verde Chiaro Sport (Automatic)
    Avorio Interior
    Automatic Temperature Control A/C
    UConnect Touch Screen with AM/FM/Sirius Radio

2016.5 Mazda CX5 Grand Touring

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SeaDawg For This Useful Post:

Amacento (10-02-2016), mattjk (10-02-2016)

Why not pick up a set of brakes from one of the vendors here so you do not have to wait and just do it yourself or have a buddy help you? Should cost a lot less than $500.

abarth500forum.com fiat124spiderforum.com fiat500lusaforum.com fiat500xforum.com

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fiat500USA For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mr_robs View Post
    So last week after letting the car sit for 6 days (i was out of town). I get in my abarth and drive it to chipotle for lunch. On the way back the brakes start howling at me, loud metal on metal screeching unless i step on the brakes. Long story short, goes into the dealer and now they are telling me i need new pads and rotors because a foreign object got stuck between the pad and rotor and ruined both. $500 out of my pocket i will need to pay to fix. Service advisor said he asked about warranty and was denied.
    This quite frankly is absurd to me. There is no way in hell i should have to pay the full cost for new brakes at 16,000 miles on a car i dont even do a lot of freeway driving nor commuting in (i work from home). Oh and the parts are backorderd with a wishy washy eta of sometime mid next week. I will only be given a rental for the weekend.

How do i open a ticket with Fiat USA to get resolution here. I am not paying this entire bill because this is the cherry on top of the cake with the list of other issues ive had with this car. Reverse synchro issue (popped out of gear twice), Sideskirts are on their 3rd set that need replacement, headliner peeling, windows tracks clogged causing windows to constantly rattle when up. The list goes on.

I understand brakes are a wear and tear item, i've worked in service before. I would never expect a customer to replace brakes on a car with this low milage due to a poor brake design.

Why not just buy the rotors and brake pads for $200 thats what i got mine for... Ceramic pads and drilled and slotted rotors just the front ones the rear are fine for me, definitly worth the money and way better over stock...."no more brake dust"
    RRM Ultimate Pro | Exhaust Heat Wrapped Decatted Down Pipe 2.35" Exit | Full 2.5" to Dual 2.25" Exhaust | MPX CAI | 5K Hid Lights + 6K HALO Rings | 6K L Shaped Led Fogs | 6K 16LED Dome Lights | Trunk 6K 12 LED Light And Relocated | 6K 120SMD Error Free Daytime Lights | White Reverse LED's | Drilled/Slotted Rotors | Mirror Window Tint | Tork Leak Fix Kit | FMIC | Falken Azenis 615K | Madness Short Shifter | "E85 With 93oct" | Light Weight Pulley | Madness Aggressive Springs |Modded Wastegate

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to roy23 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Yea it's the whole "foreign object" part that throws a wrench into the expectation for warranty. They're not faulty brakes, you ran over something or whatever and now there's stuff lodged in there. Chances are you can service it yourself, remove the rock, and be on your way until the pads really do wear down.

Unfortunately the other problems you've had with the car don't add up to some cumulative frustration formula. It's crappy but from here it doesn't seem that the dealership is shafting you.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Ryephile For This Useful Post:

Amacento (10-02-2016)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryephile View Post
    Chances are you can service it yourself, remove the rock, and be on your way until the pads really do wear down.
    Thats what Id do. No reason to replace the brakes if the worst itd do is make a line from where the object was but still technically work.
    2016 Ceramic Metallic MX-5 w/ Brembo/BBS

Carpe Diem Lifetime Member 500ways's Avatar
    Thanks
    C'est la vie...
    When I grow up, I want to be a Ferrari!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryephile View Post
    Yea it's the whole "foreign object" part that throws a wrench into the expectation for warranty. They're not faulty brakes, you ran over something or whatever and now there's stuff lodged in there. Chances are you can service it yourself, remove the rock, and be on your way until the pads really do wear down.

Unfortunately the other problems you've had with the car don't add up to some cumulative frustration formula. It's crappy but from here it doesn't seem that the dealership is shafting you.
    Its not as simple as a rock being stuck in there. Something got in, stayed in, ruined the pads and rotors. I'd rather not pay for a tow from the dealer back to my house because its a safety issue with the brakes and i cant drive it out. I dont understand how by chance, and not poor design, both rotors and pads in the front were ruined by this. It seems all too suspect to me. But i guess i just have unrealistic expectations owning a new car. Doesnt matter though it will be sold by the end of June. Tired of crappy dealership experiences and build quality.

Thanks
    Well, let's put it in perspective. Has anyone else here has this foreign object brake problem? Check out NHTSA's complaint system as a sanity check.

My car has about 3k more miles than yours and my brakes are wearing perfectly normal. Have the dealership show and explain to you what got stuck in there. It's entirely possible you rode your brakes or tracked the crap out of them and simply wore them out, and the dealership is just incompetent or playing you for a fool.

As it stands, $#!t happened, the dealer is unhelpful like almost all of them are, and you don't have all the info with regards to the actual failure mode.

Having a new car does not, ever, discount you from experiencing poor customer service. If anything it puts you more in harms way, as you have expectations outside the warranty contract and are socially obliged to patronize the dealership. You'll note none of this has anything to do with Fiat in particular. All dealerships are subject to incompetence and poor customer service. If you had the same mystery foreign object get stuck in your brand new BMW, you'd be on Bimmerforums right now typing the same frustrations.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Ryephile For This Useful Post:

Amacento (10-02-2016)

Thanks
    I have to chime in here,, My rear rotors are trashed My emergency brake sticks if its left on over the weekend, I noticed this when I installed my coilovers this spring, car had 13,500 and some odd miles on it, service told me politely that warranty on brakes was done at 12000

I have deep grooves in the rear rotors I never considered something getting caught in there, But Im suspicious because of what the emergency brake has been doing?
    CPR 2013 NERO 500T (frankenstein) CPR ENGINE COVER , CPR TUNNEL BRACE , CPR INTERIOR X BRACE , E and D TUNE , BOOST FIX , MEGAN RACING COIL OVERS , 2 1/4"DROP, CUSTOM BORIS STRIPES , V4 , GTR RIMS /FALKIN RT613K TIRES , rear seat delete , CPR weld on rear torsion bar assembly.
    Visit my Facebook page and feel free to add pics of your CPR products!
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/CPR/716465941726404

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast