Shop NGEN Performance
Shop 500 Madness

Low oil pressure + high oil consumpion/leak + unrelated CEL

Hello everyone. I have a couple of issues I would like some guideance with regarding my 2015 manual Abarth. I doubt these two problems are related to...

Tiers already balanced. In what way? Did he just look at the balance weights on the wheel or did he actually spin them on his machine?

Ok... When I did all the work on the front end, I brought the front tires to get balanced. The tire shop told me they were already balanced. The car...

Need a good tire balancing. Run you car by a good alignment shop....

Tell us how you really feel. LOL

Sounds like a bent axle.

Tire shake at 45mph...

Hi all!
I have just completed a rebuild of my front suspension. I replaced both lower control arms, the left tie rod end, both front and rear...

500 Madness lists a pre-2016 T4 head unit, but all the pictures for it show the T2, which practically eliminates the center vents. There are dozens of...

update if anyone is interested

i found the correct transmission, but its at a dealership in washington. im from massachusetts. theyre selling...

Our car is compatible with the idatalink / maestro system but that's only on double din. I have it in my Toyota, it's nice. Too bad the android models...

The 500 Madness T4 is for Fiats from 2016 and up. I assumed yours is an older model since you were considering the Spiral Audio kit.

There...

MADNESS Spring Savings!

Save $70.00 on this Vertical Chassis Brace Kit by SILA Concepts for your FIAT 500.

Improve the handling...

It really depends on where dealers are. I surprisingly see more Alfas than Fiats around here. I have the feeling it is because the resale value is so...

I only ever seen one Alfa here. Since their reintroduction here....

post her car for sale, on Facebook market....

Nice white Abarth at the 2023 Fiat Freakout

New Milano to Junior!" mixes history and marketing strategy in an interesting way.​

It sounds like it could be a transmission issue or a problem from the car sitting for a while. It's a good idea to have a mechanic check it out.

500L Dead Battery

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • EricB
    • Dec 2014

Hello Everyone, you are not alone.
    Brand new 500l bought march2014. Battery dead in april after car was left 1week without use. Battery dead again in may.
    Yesterday, got the car towed again for dead battery.
    Previous 500 did not have such issue.
    Today they said i had a bad alternator and would change it but the dealer did confirm they need to regularly jump their yard's car because of high drain current.

I won't put in a larger battery, it won't fix the issue and the car is not even 6months. Too many dead batteries in the fiat blogs to be defective batteries... 1defective cell...blablabla.

Be aware, once you battery has been dead once... It will no longer perform as new. When batteries sulfate, vibration by normal drive shakes the sulfate at the bottom of the battery and capacity gets worse... So if dealer does not replace you battery, it will just get worse. Remember , their faulty design kills your battery slowly.

Can someone show me a link to fuse panel details ? I can certainly isolate which fuse circuit drains too much. Would also help if i knew what this car "designed standby current" was supposed to be. I can easily map current drawn for each circuit when <15 minutes after turning off and >20 minutes ( 15-16minutes to sleep) seems pretty standard accross many brands for current draw pattern change.

EricB

Comment

• EricB
      • Dec 2014

The problem exist as i have read it in many threads...
      I am electrical engineerlooking for numbers to post here and give you guys the right ammunitions to get it fixed.

What is the car drain current when off ? What about > 20 minutes after turning it off ? ( door locked/unlocked) so 4 measur,ents are needed.
      Once you have those numbers and share it here, calling customer support and sharing this is THE information they need to acknoledge the problem.
      Most cars seems to run <20-40mA after 20minutes. Anything over this will reduce subtancially the amount of time it can stay in the parking lot without use.

Be carefull not to mix this issue with people driving many short distances. Battery does not have time to recharge between use. I have not been able to find a single car user manual requiring minimum drive distance for recharge OR maxmimum day car should be left unattended BUT this is clearly unaceptable.

I work for an automotive omponents supplier to the car industry and the only way to get things fixed is when a problem is well documented because many dealers mecanics ( along with the dealer's salesman) don't give a damn once the car it out the yard... Warranty will get fiat to pay for the replacement until warranty is over and YOU start paying.

Any current draw information you can get from your respective eperience ( or measure yourself) will help this group

Eric

Comment

• minibrings
        • Jun 2011

Originally posted by Sipde
        My car sat for a week while I was out of town. When I came back it was dead. The dealer tells me this is "Normal" There is so much parasitic draw in the L that if you
        don't run it for a week it will go dead. I don't think that's acceptable, but I can't seem to get them to see it.
        I called Fiat Customer Care. They said if car sits fir over 21 days disconnect battery.
        My car sat a week and its dead.
        Open a case with Fiat.. Guy was very helpful
        I will take to studio tomorrow

Comment

• NGEN
          Official Vendor
          • Sep 2012

Had this happen when the L sat for two weeks. Studio said everything was fine. I tend to agree that there is a common draw somewhere that is draining the battery.
          sigpic
          Hours: Mon-Fri 10am - 6pm CST
          Call/Text: 832-948-9409
          E-mail: [email protected]

Facebook: www.facebook.com/ngencustoms
          Instagram: www.instagram.com/ngencustomsandperformance

Comment

• SW Desert Dweller
            • Aug 2013

We were gone for 7 days and returned to a completely dead battery. This is the second time it has happened since I purchased the car in July. Love the Fiat 500L, but this is super-annoying and discouraging.

Dealer replaced the battery this time. I lost a day of my life waiting for the service department to make that decision...

Comment

• minibrings
              • Jun 2011

My studio wants me to leave car, even though i told them its happened before.
              Its inconvenient fir me as a trip to the dealer involves over 100 miles round trip.
              I was looking at a 500x, but not anymore. Never again will i buy a car where the closest studio is far away.

Comment

• Sipde
                • Nov 2013

From what I hear it looks like original equipment batteries coming from Hungary are not the greatest quality. Since mine has been replaced I haven't had any issues with the strange messages (excessive radiator coolant temp), and the radio stopped rebooting every time I start the car.

Comment

• Michael S Carbone
                  • Mar 2015

hi We too had the battery issue. I had taken it to the dealership they could not find anything wrong. however there was an update to the software for the DC power control system. the next day car will not start dead battery. the outside temp was 9. When I came home from work that day the temp was 20. I got the car to start. So in reading the threads here someone had said try locking the car. so for fun I gave that a try. it was a night, and when I did this it like turning off a light switch. the cabin lights in the did not dim down just off. Hmmm. next morning it was -10. at 5am and to my surprise it startd right up. So the rest of the winter we have been doing that and we have not had any problems. who knew?

Comment

• 500Lfyrman
                    • Aug 2014

It' been 8 months and 12,000 miles of no problem ownership........ the battery finally died yesterday morning. Drove it to the delearship, battery replaced, updates completed, quick espresso, back on the road 1 hour.

Comment

• JustB
                      • Aug 2013

Just had my battery die at noon on Saturday. No nearby studio has a service center open until Monday morning to check it out/fix under warranty.

Comment

• Fiat500USA
                        Amministratore
                        • Feb 2011

Originally posted by JustB
                        Just had my battery die at noon on Saturday. No nearby studio has a service center open until Monday morning to check it out/fix under warranty.
                        Sorry to hear that. Maybe you can bring the battery to AutoZone/Advance/etc. and they can charge it up for you and test it. It may just be run down and need a charge or at least they can try to put a charge into it so you can start it. You can bring it to the dealer on Monday, and they can test it.
                        Enjoy the Forum? Tell a Friend and Please Whitelist us on your Ad Blocker. Thx!

#modifiedabarth modifiedabarths.com
                        fiat 500 forum signature
                        abarth500forum.com fiat124spiderforum.com fiat500lusaforum.com fiat500xforum.com

Comment

• JustB
                          • Aug 2013

Thank you for the tip, but I really think the battery has just had it. This happened to me last February as well, though that was likely due to cold weather after I left it at an airport. This time it hesitated starting yesterday morning (took 3 tries before it would start, 45 degrees in the garage) then started fine the other 6 times I started it, even after very short trips. So it seems like it will hold a charge for a while, but once it sits for 12-14 hours, the charge is gone.

Comment

• Dcsdreams
                            • Aug 2014

To all of those with a battery drain problem. Just took my 500L to service 2 days ago to repair an unrelated issue, and the service advisor said they would also perform a software update to fix the battery drain problem. All Fiat service departments should have this information. The rrt listed on my service invoice is 15-019. Hope this helps.

Comment

• jcsimon
                              • Aug 2015

500L Dead Battery

We had a similar problem. Coming back from vacation after two weeks, car did not start. No electronics and key got stuck in ignition. Jumped it, but was dead again the next day. AAA said Alternator. Towed to Fiat (as Fiat service was going to take 3 hours, we utilized AAA who came in 10 minutes). Ended up needing a module update. Can you believe that? Has been running fine ever since. Ask the shop about updating the module.

Comment

• cmllr
                                • May 2015

Had this happen as well, 19k miles - new battery and system flash and has been fine since. My studio said that the battery had a bad cell.

Comment