500 Madness

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: 500L Dead Battery

Thanks

500L Dead Battery

Hi everyone. Just joined the forum. Not sure if there is a dedicated 500L forum so posting here. Purchased 500L in July 2013. Vehicle has 2600 miles on it. Battery has died twice. First time vehicle sat for about three weeks and all electronics were dead. Couldn't even open doors with remote. Absolutely no response from car. Took car to Fiat service and they found nothing wrong and just charged battery. Second time vehicle sat for only five days. Electronics came on and remote opens doors, but just a click-click-click when attempt to start. Anyone else having this problem? Thanks for your help.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by gtleo106 View Post
    Hi everyone. Just joined the forum. Not sure if there is a dedicated 500L forum so posting here. Purchased 500L in July 2013. Vehicle has 2600 miles on it. Battery has died twice. First time vehicle sat for about three weeks and all electronics were dead. Couldn't even open doors with remote. Absolutely no response from car. Took car to Fiat service and they found nothing wrong and just charged battery. Second time vehicle sat for only five days. Electronics came on and remote opens doors, but just a click-click-click when attempt to start. Anyone else having this problem? Thanks for your help.

There was some else on this form that had a similar issue and I think it turned out to be the battery was at fault but that said five days without running the car will almost discharge a good battery, the electronics in the car are always drawing some current. See video!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B__DqK90IIc

The mechanics at studio can also check to see what percentage of life is left in the battery. Remember the car sat at studio lot for awhile without being driven too, not good for a battery..
    Last edited by Tweak; 03-02-2014 at 07:53 PM. Reason: Embedded video.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jester49 For This Useful Post:

JWD (02-08-2015), nickle (04-12-2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,416 Times in 1,977 Posts
    Welcome to the forum.

I have moved this to the Issues and Concerns area of the forum for the 500L.

I recall someone stating something in relation to not having locked their doors and a battery issue but sadly I do not recall any specifics beyond someone replying they'll be sure to always lock their doors going forward. This may have no relevance to your problem.

Thanks
    Thanks for getting my issue to the right forum. I ALWAYS lock my doors so can't imagine that is the problem.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by gtleo106 View Post
    Thanks for getting my issue to the right forum. I ALWAYS lock my doors so can't imagine that is the problem.
    Happy to help, as for the lock portion I figured it was a long shot. Glad to see more NC people on the forum.

Thanks
    Went to drive my L last night and I've experienced this too. The battery is dead as a doornail. Trying to decide how to treat this since I think it was also the weak-sauce battery that kept the car from starting for about 4 days this past winter.

Thanks
    My car sat for a week while I was out of town. When I came back it was dead. The dealer tells me this is "Normal" There is so much parasitic draw in the L that if you
    don't run it for a week it will go dead. I don't think that's acceptable, but I can't seem to get them to see it.

Thanks
    First off we are in Sacramento. The Trekking has been sitting for 6 days and I went out to see if it had any battery issues. It started right up with no problem. Of course it has been in 80-90's here.

Thanks
    Same problem. Brand new car. First time car sat for 4 weeks. Roadside Assistance jump started it, but when I drove it over 30 transmission would not go into gear. Service ran it through all tests and could find nothing. Recharged battery. A few days later, with no time lag between starts, it was dead again. This time service put in a new Fiat battery. Ran great for 7 months. Left "locked" in the garage for 3 weeks. (I mention "locked" because someone in the forum suggested leaving it sit "unlocked" could drain the battery.) Was not able to unlock door with remote, but did with key. Battery dead. Fix this time was to replace Fiat installed battery with Mopar battery. Also suggested if I leave it for several days unattended in the future, to disconnect negative battery cable. However, this can put the battery into sleep mode, so when reconnecting for use, put key in ignition and turn on. Pump foot rapidly on gas pedal for a few seconds, and while continuing to pump the pedal, crank the key until vehicle starts. Do not turn off...let it run awhile and drive around for 10-20 minutes to be sure it is running properly.

Hope the Mopar battery works better and the disconnecting works next time I am out of town. Can't put up with this forever. Otherwise love the car.
    Last edited by Onthego; 08-01-2014 at 05:47 PM. Reason: added info.

Thanks
    Sounding more and more like a trickle charge/battery tender solution is needed for L owners.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast