500 Madness

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Warning message on your 500e - This how to reset and fix your 500e

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg Elmassian View Post
    Well, a small pebble trapped between the dust shield and the rotor would certainly seem to have those symptoms, or something caught in a brake pad and dragging a bit, since you only actually "use" the brakes below 8 mph.

Might be pretty simple to pull a wheel and look... can you tell if it is one side or the other?

Greg
    Strange ly (weird but the editor puts an angel if I don't leave a space before the 'ly' ) enough it's on both sides front driver and passenger. Didn't drive any gravel roads, so I can't imagine that anything is lodged on the brake pads. It's a constant rubbing noise and clicking as it goes around also
    Lots of brake dust. A pebble wouldn't do that.
    Brake Dust.jpg
    Brake Dust - Passenger Side.jpg

That is dust, not oil as I first thought before I touched it.

FIAT is going to look at it in the morning, so we'll see what it is.
    Last edited by Zapped; 09-24-2014 at 12:49 AM.
    FIAT 500e, retro blue, steam white, sunroof

Thanks
    Thanked 2,383 Times in 1,949 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Zapped View Post
    Strange ly (weird but the editor puts an angel if I don't leave a space before the 'ly' ) enough it's on both sides front driver and passenger. Didn't drive any gravel roads, so I can't imagine that anything is lodged on the brake pads. It's a constant rubbing noise and clicking as it goes around also
    Lots of brake dust. A pebble wouldn't do that.
    Brake Dust.jpg
    Brake Dust - Passenger Side.jpg

That is dust, not oil as I first thought before I touched it.

FIAT is going to look at it in the morning, so we'll see what it is.
    Figured worth a shot with the rock/pebble suggestion but sounds like it might be something else. Hopefully something slightly out of spec and a quickly resolved issue. Look forward to hearing what they say and how it gets resolved for you tomorrow after your dealership visit.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Tweak View Post
    Figured worth a shot with the rock/pebble suggestion but sounds like it might be something else. Hopefully something slightly out of spec and a quickly resolved issue. Look forward to hearing what they say and how it gets resolved for you tomorrow after your dealership visit.
    FIAT of Palm Springs fixed the brake noise right away. Service report says "found backing plates were hitting the rotors, readjusted backing plates, found ok, grinding is gone".
    This doesn't quite make sense to me since the backing plate is holding the brake pad. Could be the calipers needed adjusting ( were not floating ) and the pads would have worn down a bit over the last 30 miles since I noticed the sound.

BTW, I could not hear the sound from inside the car even with the window open. I just happened be standing beside the car when my wife drove forward. It made the same noise backing up.

Also noticed my miles/kWh jumped up about 10-20% although that could be from a lot of other factors.
    FIAT 500e, retro blue, steam white, sunroof

Thanks
    Thanked 2,383 Times in 1,949 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Zapped View Post
    FIAT of Palm Springs fixed the brake noise right away. Service report says "found backing plates were hitting the rotors, readjusted backing plates, found ok, grinding is gone".
    This doesn't quite make sense to me since the backing plate is holding the brake pad. Could be the calipers needed adjusting ( were not floating ) and the pads would have worn down a bit over the last 30 miles since I noticed the sound.

BTW, I could not hear the sound from inside the car even with the window open. I just happened be standing beside the car when my wife drove forward. It made the same noise backing up.

Also noticed my miles/kWh jumped up about 10-20% although that could be from a lot of other factors.
    Glad to know it was easily fixed at least.

Thanks
    The backing plate can be interpreted as any part of a casting that holds the caliper and bolts to the hub.

I have seen the rotor hit part of this assembly.

Greg

Thanks
    Are you ****ting me??!! the year 2014 and i have to carry a tool kit around with me in my BRAND NEW VEHICLE??? No. When is Fiat going to actually FIX THIS PROBLEM instead of telling owners they need to suck it up and learn how to reset their car. Do you not understand how dangerous this could be? I want to know, Fiat, are you going to institute a recall or some solution or do you think it is acceptable to expect your owners to have to disconnect their batteries and perform resets on a regular basis?

Thanks
    Woah!

resetting their cars on a regular basis?

Do not think that is the norm, nor is Fiat the only company that has had an electronic problem.

Do you own one? Notice it is your first post.

Greg

Thanks
    is a used 500e a good decision? Change can be scary but it seems like fewer moving parts and I'm only a mile from work... it's so stinkin' cute...

Thanks
    HI!

I am new owner and new here. My warning message light on and I try reset it , disconnected battery waiting and nothing , still light on.Maybe 2015 is different like 2013? maybe I dont know what I can on of 5 times? This is important to me becaus I am in europe and local dealer dont have any software for this car.Thank for answer.

Tom

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by tomisie View Post
    HI!

I am new owner and new here. My warning message light on and I try reset it , disconnected battery waiting and nothing , still light on.Maybe 2015 is different like 2013? maybe I dont know what I can on of 5 times? This is important to me becaus I am in europe and local dealer dont have any software for this car.Thank for answer.

Tom
    I also have this problem in my 2016 500e. Car not starts. Is any other way to reset it?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast