Shop NGEN Performance
Shop 500 Madness

Low oil pressure + high oil consumpion/leak + unrelated CEL

Hello everyone. I have a couple of issues I would like some guideance with regarding my 2015 manual Abarth. I doubt these two problems are related to...

Tiers already balanced. In what way? Did he just look at the balance weights on the wheel or did he actually spin them on his machine?

Ok... When I did all the work on the front end, I brought the front tires to get balanced. The tire shop told me they were already balanced. The car...

Need a good tire balancing. Run you car by a good alignment shop....

Tell us how you really feel. LOL

Sounds like a bent axle.

Tire shake at 45mph...

Hi all!
I have just completed a rebuild of my front suspension. I replaced both lower control arms, the left tie rod end, both front and rear...

500 Madness lists a pre-2016 T4 head unit, but all the pictures for it show the T2, which practically eliminates the center vents. There are dozens of...

update if anyone is interested

i found the correct transmission, but its at a dealership in washington. im from massachusetts. theyre selling...

Our car is compatible with the idatalink / maestro system but that's only on double din. I have it in my Toyota, it's nice. Too bad the android models...

The 500 Madness T4 is for Fiats from 2016 and up. I assumed yours is an older model since you were considering the Spiral Audio kit.

There...

MADNESS Spring Savings!

Save $70.00 on this Vertical Chassis Brace Kit by SILA Concepts for your FIAT 500.

Improve the handling...

It really depends on where dealers are. I surprisingly see more Alfas than Fiats around here. I have the feeling it is because the resale value is so...

I only ever seen one Alfa here. Since their reintroduction here....

post her car for sale, on Facebook market....

Nice white Abarth at the 2023 Fiat Freakout

New Milano to Junior!" mixes history and marketing strategy in an interesting way.​

It sounds like it could be a transmission issue or a problem from the car sitting for a while. It's a good idea to have a mechanic check it out.

Peeling/abnormal wear on the Steering Wheel

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jetsettersd
    • Dec 2013

Peeling/abnormal wear on the Steering Wheel

Anyone have issues with the white leather on the steering wheel wearing out? It just seems it shouldn't wear out this fast with normal driving habits. The dealer says it's not warranty covered.

1387056524701.jpg
  • Tweak
    Rest In Peace
    • Nov 2012

Originally posted by jetsettersd
    Anyone have issues with the white leather on the steering wheel wearing out? It just seems it shouldn't wear out this fast with normal driving habits. The dealer says it's not warranty covered.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]8874[/ATTACH]
    Welcome to the forum.

I haven't heard of this but seeing it I think it won't be long before many have some complaints! Hope you can find either a new wheel cheap or a cover you like, be careful though as some have found with covers the color bleeds into the white.
    Show us your pride in your ride & win free prizes by entering (and winning) Ride of the Month!

Comment

• Felnus
      All 101HP all the time
      Lifetime Member
      • Sep 2011

Hmm...that's a new one as far as I am aware. Do you wear a ring or rings on that hand normally rests there? Do you use hand sanitizer or lotion regularly(the chemicals could be affecting the leather)? Some folks have a body chemistry that makes their sweat more corrosive than normal.

I don't have a Gucci but the black leather on my Sport wheel is showing no signs of anything like this.
      Last edited by Felnus; 12-14-2013, 10:08 PM.
      sigpic
      http://www.wednesdayslight.photoreflect.com

Comment

• msjulie33
        • Jun 2011

Originally posted by Felnus
        Hmm...that's a new one as far as I am aware. Do you wear a ring or rings on that hand normally rests there? Do you use hand sanitizer or lotion regularly(the chemicals could be affecting the leather)? Some folks have a body chemistry that makes their sweat more corrosive the normal.

I don't have a Gucci but the black leather on my Sport wheel is showing no signs of anything like this.

Mine in my (previous) Pop never had an issue and Feinus, you asked pretty much the questions I was gonna ask
        Wicked Dot - Rosso+black Abarth 500c
        MoJo - Electric Orange 500e stealth performer - lease over, replaced with a faster! E

Comment

• Felnus
          All 101HP all the time
          Lifetime Member
          • Sep 2011

Originally posted by msjulie33
          Mine in my (previous) Pop never had an issue and Feinus, you asked pretty much the questions I was gonna ask
          Great minds, etc., etc., etc...
          sigpic

Comment

• Abarth619
            Lifetime Member
            Lifetime Member
            • May 2013

Judging from the picture, it kind of looks damaged, not worn. What year and how many miles are on the car? If its not covered under warranty, try this. Lightly hit the worn spot with some very, very fine sandpaper and then some white shoe polish would help hide it. I've used black polish in the past on old worn leather steering wheels with great success.

41KMv6KNuEL.jpg
            Last edited by Abarth619; 12-15-2013, 12:20 PM.

Comment

• ScorpionSkins.com
              • May 2012

Originally posted by Felnus
              Some folks have a body chemistry that makes their sweat more corrosive than normal.
              I was about to mention this. I had an old friend whose skin would disintegrate leather belts.

Time to invest in a pair of these:
              ScorpionSkins.com

Comment

• MikeThinks
                • Jun 2011

I put nearly that many miles on my 1st Fiat 500 and my wheel looked flawless. Looks very much like a ring or one really hard callous.

Comment

• Abarth619
                  Lifetime Member
                  Lifetime Member
                  • May 2013

Originally posted by ScorpionSkins.com
                  I was about to mention this. I had an old friend whose skin would disintegrate leather belts.
                  Wow I've never heard of that. I guess the acidity of sweat varies from person to person.

Comment

• Felnus
                    All 101HP all the time
                    Lifetime Member
                    • Sep 2011

It's pretty crazy but it can vary quite a bit based on inherent body chemistry and diet plays a role too. A woman I work with has worn the plastic texture on the handset of her desk phone as smooth as glass and worn the lettering off the numbers.
                    sigpic

Comment

• Andree
                      Chief Car Looker Upperer
                      Lifetime Member
                      • Dec 2012

I'd not seen it before on the leather Fiats, but I did a Google search for leather+wears+off+steering+wheel and it looks like there have been many people having the problem with all kinds of cars.

I do remember the vinyl wearing off on the shift boot and the shifter knob in an old Datsun pickup. It baked in the sun, in a hot area, so I assumed it was from heat/sun and long-term wear.

Did the whole thing just crumble off all at one time? Or has it been chipping, rubbing, or scraping off over time?
                      I'm a woman. W-O-M-A-N
                      Love to help people look for the Fiat they want.
                      That's why I call myself "Chief Car Looker Upperer"

Comment

• Andree
                        Chief Car Looker Upperer
                        Lifetime Member
                        • Dec 2012

Thought I'd look up some info on sweaty hands. LOL.

This fella really has the acidic hand sweat!:
                        I can place my finger on a freshly ground piece of steel and the next day a rusted impression of my fingerprint will be there. When I tried looking up...

And there are plenty of links within the thread on various aspects. It's interesting. And it's worthwhile reading a bit about, to understand why/how some things can be worn or damaged, simply by handling them in a usual fashion. I recall someone on the forum wearing the lettering off the radio controls or something like that, and they too could have the acidic sweat. They may not have had the problem previously, it could depend solely on the type of lettering compound used and it's interaction with the sweat.

This was short: http://simple.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swe...ssive_sweating
                        I'm a woman. W-O-M-A-N
                        Love to help people look for the Fiat they want.
                        That's why I call myself "Chief Car Looker Upperer"

Comment

• tknospdr
                          • Nov 2013

Didn't you read the owners manual? It clearly states not to chew on the steering wheel.
                          Rame 2013 500T - Gone to the great auto dealer's trade in lot in the sky.
                          Meteor Grey 2016 MX-5 with Brembo/BBS package and stubby antenna, with certainly more to come.

Comment