500 Madness

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: How it works: Your Evaporative emissions canister!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,157 Times in 771 Posts
    If I had a dollar for every VAG diverter valve I've ripped over the years. We used to have to use SAAB parts and turn them upside down IIRC, or you had to buy obscure DV's from GoFastBits etc. just to get the engine to run right. My MKIV GTi (the 337 model) had everything go wrong with it that could.. even the ignition coils would routinely pop out of the engine and dent the hood from inside out. Did the recall...2 months later BLAM, same thing happened!

Granted, I was running 21lbs of boost into a K03, but that's whatever.
    http://www.fiat500usaforum.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=509&dateline=14328366  62
    RAW Big Turbo, tuned to 250+whp on p93
    LSD, FX400, Okadas, 550cc, ported t-mani
    NightOwl Racing BC Racing with SWIFT Spring Suspension set up
    ATM FMIC, ATM Fenderwell Intake
    VanHook CF Rear Diff, doorhandles, hood vents and duct covers
    Advan RSII 17x7.5, rally stud conversion

Thanks
    yep they were garbage even in stock trim
    Wicked Dot - Rosso+black Abarth 500c
    MoJo - Electric Orange 500e stealth performer - lease over, replaced with a faster! E

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryephile View Post
    Based on the conversations I've had with friends at Chrysler, it's something to the effect of "the intern probably did it". This happens all the time in the automotive OEM world.
    Likely you're right - I suppose I can be wearing my rose (rosso!) colored glasses when I wish for them making an actual production change at some point ...
    Wicked Dot - Rosso+black Abarth 500c
    MoJo - Electric Orange 500e stealth performer - lease over, replaced with a faster! E

Lifetime Member Lifetime Member
    Thanks
    [QUOTE=Ryephile;643577] Based on the conversations I've had with friends at Chrysler, it's something to the effect of "the intern probably did it".
    The intern did it.... LOL
    Sounds like the TV station in S.F. after their "sum ting wong" "we tu low" incident. (777 crash flight crew names)

Banned
    Thanks
    I was wondering why I was almost always in boost on the interstate. I can drive my mustang all day without ever getting out of vacuum.

Thanks
    Hi everyone. This is slightly off topic, but also kind of relevant. To make a long story short, I have a 2013 POP that was a flood car. I have recently brought it back to life and it drives well. The one remaining issue is when I go to fill the tank up with gas, the fuel nozzle keeps kicking off... I have tried all different positions, but no luck. I took apart the charcoal canister and I found evidence that water had gotten into it. Could this be cause the issue? What tells the pressure valve to open and allow fuel into the tank?

Thanks in advance!
    Rob

Thanks
    thanks for the recognition. my biggest questions are 1, why wouldn't they use the vacuum pump? 2, im sure with the tiny 33-34mm inlet on the turbo there is a ton of velocity in the inlet of the turbo, do they need so much vacuum that they need boost to drive a venturi? why wouldn't they put a venturi in the intake like gm does on some of their direct injected turbo cars? or pipe it into the diverter valve purge area where velocity is really high? i know they won't answer these questions but there are more obvious solutions than a boost leak. i guess a lot of the car may have already been engineered at that point and this is a solutions that could be done all external using fittings that already existed on the manifold but it would be easy to do something in the intake tube as well.

Thanks
    "I was wondering why I was almost always in boost on the interstate. I can drive my mustang all day without ever getting out of vacuum."

well a non turbo 500 can drive on the highway obviously without boost. it probably has different gearing but it could also have something to do with the multiair tuning. the valve timing is highly variable, they can kill the lift to a large extreme either to increase velocity for a faster burn and some ramming effect, or to get an early valve closing to get maximum compression or both. they may have found that pushing the air into the engine with low lift got a slightly better efficiency for some combination of reasons.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2