Shop NGEN Performance
Shop 500 Madness

Ok... When I did all the work on the front end, I brought the front tires to get balanced. The tire shop told me they were already balanced. The car...

Need a good tire balancing. Run you car by a good alignment shop....

Tell us how you really feel. LOL

Sounds like a bent axle.

Tire shake at 45mph...

Hi all!
I have just completed a rebuild of my front suspension. I replaced both lower control arms, the left tie rod end, both front and rear...

500 Madness lists a pre-2016 T4 head unit, but all the pictures for it show the T2, which practically eliminates the center vents. There are dozens of...

update if anyone is interested

i found the correct transmission, but its at a dealership in washington. im from massachusetts. theyre selling...

Our car is compatible with the idatalink / maestro system but that's only on double din. I have it in my Toyota, it's nice. Too bad the android models...

The 500 Madness T4 is for Fiats from 2016 and up. I assumed yours is an older model since you were considering the Spiral Audio kit.

There...

MADNESS Spring Savings!

Save $70.00 on this Vertical Chassis Brace Kit by SILA Concepts for your FIAT 500.

Improve the handling...

It really depends on where dealers are. I surprisingly see more Alfas than Fiats around here. I have the feeling it is because the resale value is so...

I only ever seen one Alfa here. Since their reintroduction here....

post her car for sale, on Facebook market....

Nice white Abarth at the 2023 Fiat Freakout

New Milano to Junior!" mixes history and marketing strategy in an interesting way.​

It sounds like it could be a transmission issue or a problem from the car sitting for a while. It's a good idea to have a mechanic check it out.

I might check a parts listing first, especially if a Fiat dealer isn't close by. This diagram shows the door and latch mechanism. (You might want to change...

Alfa is self destructing into incompetency. They are going all in on EV just as the market for them crashes. The Tonale is a failure. It is like $10k...

500e Wheel Offsets

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • arenared
    • Oct 2013

Thanks very much for the nice technical post! You are talking my language.

How is the handling on the Abarth springs? With 15mm F and 12mm R (for a front weight bias), do you feel there is understeer, especially without the rear Abarth bar?

Was surfing your posts. Your ride height looks PERFECT.

Not sure if I will do suspension mods (initially ) as I haven't decided between lease or buy. Good to know the Abarth 7" wide wheels and 205/40R17 will fit no problem. I wanna shoehorn 225s on there Not sure if there's space. I'm pretty anal that it really fits and doesn't stick out or rub. Was looking at aftermarket wheels, and here's my collection of "big" wheels for a normal 500:

8" ET 25
    8" ET 20
    7.5" ET 35
    7.5" ET 30
    7.5" ET 30
    7.5" ET 30
    7.5" ET 30
    7.5" ET 20
    7.5" ET 15

Those never say what the tire sizes are, though. Biggest I've seen documented is a 215/35R17 on a BBS 17x7.5" ET 30. Seems reasonable as there is not much inboard clearance. I think somebody was getting some rubbing on 215s.

Comment

• N S
      • Nov 2013

Looking to lower the suspension and change out the wheels as well.

Comment

• hashlock
        • Nov 2013

Originally posted by rnddude
        The front suspension is identical to the gas cars, except for the springs. The rear suspension is from the Abarth, minus the roll bar. I hated the excessive wheel clearance so I gambled and installed a set of take-off Abarth stock springs (there are plenty of them available here for cheap). With the extra weight of the 500e, the ride height now is about the same as an 1-2" lowered Abarth. It was necessary to trim about 1" off of both the front and rear bump stops otherwise the suspension travel is compromised. The stock electric springs are 13mm front and rear, and very tall. The stock Abarth rear springs are 12mm and about 1.5" shorter, and the stock Abarth front springs are 15mm and also about 1.5" shorter. This combo sets the car almost exactly level. Stock Abarth wheels will fit the car no problem.
        Would love to see pics of your lowered 500e!

Comment

• Tweak
          Rest In Peace
          • Nov 2012

Originally posted by hashlock
          Welcome to the forum.
          Show us your pride in your ride & win free prizes by entering (and winning) Ride of the Month!

Comment

• rnddude
            • Sep 2013

Originally posted by hashlock
            DSCN0324.jpg
            2013 500e Sport, Nero Metallic, all Abarth suspension, 17" Michi's, Koni Yellows, HID's

Comment

• rnddude
              • Sep 2013

If I recall correctly on my 500e, the offsets are the same front and rear, with the extra width on the rears on the outside. I would have no problem running matched, wider wheels on the 'e', particularily when you would be running lower aspect tires (40 or 35) anyway if you go to 16's or 17's. From what I can gather from various sources, one of which I met who actually did some development work on the 'e', the wider rear rims stretch the tires a bit more, effectively making the tire sidewalls stiffer, which helped minimize polar end swapping in sharp turning maneuvers at speed which can happen if the tire sidewalls deflect, which is more of a problem with the 'e' because of the heavier and more rearward weight bias due to the rear-mounted batteries.
              2013 500e Sport, Nero Metallic, all Abarth suspension, 17" Michi's, Koni Yellows, HID's

Comment

• zonker
                • May 2012

I know this is an old thread, but I can tell you the front 5.5" wide wheels have an offset of 35mm and the rear 6.5" ones have a 28mm offset.
                2017 124 Spider Classica - modded tastefully
                2013 500e - 189 lb lighter
                1974 X1/9 - modestly restified
                1971 124 Spider(s) - latest resto project

Comment

• nate93460
                  • Jan 2019

Has anybody put “rear” wheels on all 4 corners of their 500e? I get that fiat did the different widths for a reason yadda yadda but aesthetically i’d Really like the wheel widths to match so the sidewalls appear the same. I guess this could also be achieved with narrower tires up front. Anybody try that? Just curious.

Comment

• rkw
                    • Mar 2015

Originally posted by nate93460
                    Has anybody put “rear” wheels on all 4 corners of their 500e? I get that fiat did the different widths for a reason yadda yadda but aesthetically i’d Really like the wheel widths to match so the sidewalls appear the same. I guess this could also be achieved with narrower tires up front. Anybody try that? Just curious.
                    A fair number of owners have installed aftermarket wheels (using the same size on all 4 corners) and I haven't seen anybody report any issues. Fiat made front/rear wheels different to optimize the suspension, but the physical difference is quite small and the actual effect is also probably very minor. An advantage of having all 4 wheels the same is that it facilitates tire rotation. IMO the ability to rotate tires for even wear is a much greater benefit than what Fiat had intended with the wheels.

Comment

• Luma3d
                      • Aug 2020

Yep...I'm all for EV fun. Just picked up a 2017 and already starting to make my mod list. Not too concerned about aerodynamics, just pure pleasure while driving.

Comment