500 Madness

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Please provide OPTION to turn OFF the remote key horn beep

Thanks

Please provide OPTION to turn OFF the remote key horn beep

As a BMW owner, I like the quiet "click" when I remotely lock my car. I was surprised at the horn beep on my new 500E. I called customer service, and they said there was currently no option to turn it off. Since adding this feature would not hurt anyone who likes the horn beep, I'm hoping we can get some support for this option on the 500E forum. Please chime in softly... My next door neighbors would appreciate silent locking when I arrive late at night!

(And don't we like it that our electric car is quiet?!)

All 101HP all the time Lifetime Member Felnus's Avatar
    Thanks
    Lock the door with the key. No beep. However, the alarm system isn't armed either.

Chief Car Looker Upperer Lifetime Member Andree's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,134 Times in 884 Posts
    I'm with you on that one. I want silent arming. I'm in apartments. I'm sure everyone would appreciate silent arming. I, myself wondered who was honking in the middle of the night, only to realize it's someone else with a honking arming system for their vehicle.

Thanks
    Requested this two yes ago... they ain't listening.

Thanks
    Install an air horn. My Abarth now sounds more Italian than Mexican. Also no beep when locking. Good ones from Fiamm or Hella. I went with Hella, they have a nice compact unit. Compact compressor mounts near battery, horns mount under left front fender liner.

Used it yesterday on So. Cal freeway when someone on their phone drifted on to my lane.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,239 Times in 853 Posts
    My guess is that a majority of owners like the beep just so they know that it's locked as they walk away. If there is a fuse just for the horn you could probably just pull it out.

Thanks
    you can lock the doors and set the alarm with silent.
    while driver side door open, press lock button twice (you will see the car blinks four times) and shut the door.
    you will get final and last blink on the car.

if you press the lock button too fast, car will honk so try multiple times if you get the honk.

I use this method when I come home late at night, its good method if you want the silent lock.

hope this helps!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisnov500 View Post
    while driver side door open, press lock button twice (you will see the car blinks four times) and shut the door.

if you press the lock button too fast, car will honk so try multiple times if you get the honk.

I use this method when I come home late at night, its good method if you want the silent lock.

hope this helps!
    I have yet to take delivery of my 500e, but my other car locks silently. If I hit the remote to lock twice in quick succession, it'll honk the horn to let me know it's locked. Is this not the case with the 500e and it honks every time? That's rather annoying, I'll have to try the open door locking method when I get mine.

Senior Member Premium Member cmj912's Avatar
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisnov500 View Post

hope this helps!
    i tried this tonight. pressed the lock button on the fob twice and then shut the door. no beep, door locked.

but since i am alone, i decided to check and see if the alarm was set. so the second time, i pressed it twice and then sat in the passenger seat and shut the door. locked doors. no beep.

but when i pulled the handle i would have expected that if the alarm were set, it would go off. which it did not.

so it appears that at least on my car you can get silent lock, but no alarm.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by cmj912 View Post
    i tried this tonight. pressed the lock button on the fob twice and then shut the door. no beep, door locked.

but since i am alone, i decided to check and see if the alarm was set. so the second time, i pressed it twice and then sat in the passenger seat and shut the door. locked doors. no beep.

but when i pulled the handle i would have expected that if the alarm were set, it would go off. which it did not.

so it appears that at least on my car you can get silent lock, but no alarm.

Did you test: sit in car, close door, lock with remote, car beeps, then try opening the door? Also, some cars have a delay after you armed it. It won't arm the alarm immediately after you pressed the button.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast