Shop NGEN Performance
Shop 500 Madness

Edit to my post: This morning the car felt like it was misfiring as the low pressure warning flashed on again. I'm definitely going to have to avoid driving...

I see tons of Alfas around here, but I live near wealthy East Coast enclaves. Stevios are especially popular....

For item one, check the gas cap. There is an O-ring that gets brittle with age. Generally a squirt of lithium grease or something similar will refresh...

Low oil pressure + high oil consumpion/leak + unrelated CEL

Hello everyone. I have a couple of issues I would like some guideance with regarding my 2015 manual Abarth. I doubt these two problems are related to...

Tiers already balanced. In what way? Did he just look at the balance weights on the wheel or did he actually spin them on his machine?

Ok... When I did all the work on the front end, I brought the front tires to get balanced. The tire shop told me they were already balanced. The car...

Need a good tire balancing. Run you car by a good alignment shop....

Tell us how you really feel. LOL

Sounds like a bent axle.

Tire shake at 45mph...

Hi all!
I have just completed a rebuild of my front suspension. I replaced both lower control arms, the left tie rod end, both front and rear...

500 Madness lists a pre-2016 T4 head unit, but all the pictures for it show the T2, which practically eliminates the center vents. There are dozens of...

update if anyone is interested

i found the correct transmission, but its at a dealership in washington. im from massachusetts. theyre selling...

Our car is compatible with the idatalink / maestro system but that's only on double din. I have it in my Toyota, it's nice. Too bad the android models...

The 500 Madness T4 is for Fiats from 2016 and up. I assumed yours is an older model since you were considering the Spiral Audio kit.

There...

MADNESS Spring Savings!

Save $70.00 on this Vertical Chassis Brace Kit by SILA Concepts for your FIAT 500.

Improve the handling...

It really depends on where dealers are. I surprisingly see more Alfas than Fiats around here. I have the feeling it is because the resale value is so...

I only ever seen one Alfa here. Since their reintroduction here....

post her car for sale, on Facebook market....

MPx After airbox high flow intake pipe! Get rid of OEM pipe w nasty casting ridges!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • modernceo
    • May 2013

MPx After airbox high flow intake pipe! Get rid of OEM pipe w nasty casting ridges!

1479_2294_popup.jpg

1479_2293_popup.jpg

1479_2295_popup.jpg

The 2012+ Fiat 500 Turbo/Abarth is a great car, and it's a lot of fun to drive. But, its still a mass produced car, and Fiat sometimes leaves some room for improvement in some of the parts design.

The factory plastic duct that goes in between the airbox on top of the motor to the turbo is one of the pieces that we think could be better designed. The inlet and outlets are circular, but the center section is square. So, the air flowing towards the turbo goes from circular to square and back to square. Also, most importantly, there are huge casting ridges in the tube that impede and slow down air flow. (Please see stock air tube cut in half to show casting ridges below).

fiat500abarthstockairboxpipecutaway.JPG

What this does, is cause unnecessary air flow restriction. This makes it so the turbo spools up slower, and lessens power.

So, we designed an aluminum duct with very smooth bends, and designed the transition to the turbo rubber elbow to be super smooth. This allows air to flow easier into the turbo, making for a faster spool up and more fun driving!

To further illustrate the turbulence caused by the casting ridges in the intake pipe, please see our two photos below in which we used water to show you the flow characteristics of the stock pipe vs mpx. In the stock piping, you'll see that the water hits the casting ridge, slows down and jets upwards. Then, by the time the water exits it slows down and nosedives down.

fiat500abarthstockairboxpipeflowtest.jpg
  • modernceo
    • May 2013

The MPx piping on the other hand, has a very nice smooth flow and transition. You see very little upset of the flow of the water, and the velocity of water as it exits is nice. You can see a difference in the speed of water exiting! (Please note, we did not change the water flow, or angles between the two pipes). See photo below of MPx piping cut in half to illustrate flow.

fiat500abarthmpxairboxpipeflowtest.jpg

So, if you want increased power, faster spool up of your turbo on your 1.4 Turbo 2012+ Fiat 500 Abarth and turbo model, get one of these MPx after airbox intake pipes today!

Installation is simple, undo the two factory clamps that hold the factory airbox piping to the rubber hoses, disconnect the two breather hoses and then replace with the MPx piping. Then, tighten the clamps and you are good to go!

Link for more information:

Comment

• DJ Sueno
      • Mar 2013

I have been wanting this replacement piece since day one! Thank you for this product!

Any chance of it being high temp ceramic coated ? Or will it be offered in black ?

Comment

• BigDaddySRT
        • Jul 2012

MPx

Look at the 90 degree Bend going into the Stock Air Box (Coupler). That's a Major restriction there.

Put a K&N Filter on the end of your intake Pipe and you have the exact same "Cold Air Intake" that I have on my ABARTH... and I spent a lot more money and mine had to be modified to "Fit" my ABARTH which pisses me off.

Do you guys plan on offering a Powdercoat option?
        2023 DODGE Durango R/T - HEMI Orange
        Pitch Black, 8 Speed ZF, Fully Optioned

"I thought you had a HEMI. Yeah, I had to have a footprint gas pedal installed. So I stole this pile."

2013 500 ABARTH
        Nero

2014 SCCA Solo II Texas Region, 2nd G Street
        2015, 2016, 2017, 2018,2021 SCCA Solo II Texas Region, Champion E Prepared
        2022 SCCA Solo II Texas Region, 3rd Place, Extreme Street B (NEON ACR Coupe)

Comment

• modernceo
          • May 2013

Originally posted by DJ Sueno
          I have been wanting this replacement piece since day one! Thank you for this product!

Any chance of it being high temp ceramic coated ? Or will it be offered in black ?
          Its really surprising how much peppier our Fiat is after installing the after airbox pipe. Another employee and myself both felt the difference!

We dont plan on offering any other colors/coatings at this time.

Comment

• modernceo
            • May 2013

BigDaddtSRT,
            The rubber elbow leaving the airbox is actually not a bad piece!
            It's a smooth bore, has no restrictions.

There is little to be gained (if anything) with the rear elbow, that's why we left it alone.

Thanks
            Cory

Originally posted by BigDaddySRT
            MPx

Look at the 90 degree Bend going into the Stock Air Box (Coupler). That's a Major restriction there.

Put a K&N Filter on the end of your intake Pipe and you have the exact same "Cold Air Intake" that I have on my ABARTH... and I spent a lot more money and mine had to be modified to "Fit" my ABARTH which pisses me off.

Do you guys plan on offering a Powdercoat option?

Comment

• NGEN
              Official Vendor
              • Sep 2012

Originally posted by modernceo
              Its really surprising how much peppier our Fiat is after installing the after airbox pipe. Another employee and myself both felt the difference!

We dont plan on offering any other colors/coatings at this time.
              You know this piece would really look nice in black, white or red. With your price point being so low (great plus!), you may have room to offer additional colors and still be competitive in pricing. Regardless, great piece Cory. Happy to offer this product!
              sigpic
              Hours: Mon-Fri 10am - 6pm CST
              Call/Text: 832-948-9409
              E-mail: [email protected]

Facebook: www.facebook.com/ngencustoms
              Instagram: www.instagram.com/ngencustomsandperformance

Comment

• Abarth Phreak
                • Dec 2012

Originally posted by NGenFiat
                You know this piece would really look nice in black, white or red. With your price point being so low (great plus!), you may have room to offer additional colors and still be competitive in pricing. Regardless, great piece Cory. Happy to offer this product!
                Does that mean you are going to buy a few from Cory and get them painted or coated???
                Nana Nana Boo Boo Stick Your Head In Doo Doo, My car goes faster than you do!

Comment

• NGEN
                  Official Vendor
                  • Sep 2012

I plan on speaking with Cory about this because this is his product and that would alter it in a way. I would not want to do anything to any of products without him being on with it. If he gives me the green light, then I am definitely up for it. We will see what happens.
                  sigpic

Comment

• Abarth Phreak
                    • Dec 2012

Originally posted by NGenFiat
                    I plan on speaking with Cory about this because this is his product and that would alter it in a way. I would not want to do anything to any of products without him being on with it. If he gives me the green light, then I am definitely up for it. We will see what happens.
                    That is what I meant. Its an opportunity both of you could work out.
                    Nana Nana Boo Boo Stick Your Head In Doo Doo, My car goes faster than you do!

Comment

• BigT
                      • Apr 2013

I picked one of these up and installed it the other day along with a lightly used K&N drop in filter. I can safely say I am happy with the increase in acceleration and the smoothness of the power band now that the air flow has been given a smoother pathway to travel. My only gripe is the instructions on install should not make it seem like a walk in the park. It took some elbow grease as well as a small amount of radiator hose grease to massage the pipe into the rubber coupler that comes off the turbo inlet. All in all for the price it does what its supposed to do and I would recommend it to anyone that is on a budget. If I get froggy one day I might try to find a small K&N cone filter and put that on the end of the pipe that connects into the air box.
                      2013 Grigio Abarth
                      17" Hyperblack wheels
                      Beats audio package
                      EC R3T V2 Intake
                      Boomba Valve

Comment

• ruben
                        • Dec 2012

MPx After airbox high flow intake pipe Get rid of OEM pipe w nasty casting ridges

Though i would probably never have a need for one, i think it would look better in black

Also, how hard would it be to get it molded to the cover, instead of something thats just a stick on type pod?

Comment

• DJ Sueno
                          • Mar 2013

Here is mine installed...

I had it high temp coated in Satin Black inside and out, good to over 2,000 degrees!

Last edited by DJ Sueno; 02-15-2015, 01:12 PM.

Comment

• NGEN
                            Official Vendor
                            • Sep 2012

Originally posted by DJ Sueno
                            Here is mine installed...

I had it high temp coated in Satin Black inside and out, good to over 2,000 degrees!

DJ, that looks great!
                            sigpic

Comment

• John O
                              • Nov 2012

Originally posted by BigT
                              If I get froggy one day I might try to find a small K&N cone filter and put that on the end of the pipe that connects into the air box.
                              I see a number of guys go with a cone shaped K&N, and that's fine if you're after bling (I love my MPx polished pipe for that too!), but the stock filter or a K&N replacement has more surface area and lower resistance/higher flow than the cone filters, thus better performance. Just something to think about.

John O.
                              http://www.dcfiats.org
                              http://www.ovingtonpaint.com/fiat
                              '13 Fiat 500 Abarth (a.k.a. "Socks")
                              '13 Fiat 500 Abarth (The Good Woman's, a.k.a. "Ruby")
                              '86 Bertone (Ray Betts special, Springs, Konis, Plaia pivots & "bigfeet", A/C)
                              '76 Lancia Beta Scorpion (Whoas, Springs, Konis)
                              '82 Spider 2K (The Good Woman's, but I'm the Chief Mechanic)
                              '82 Dodge Ram D150/1500
                              '74 MGB-GT (Derek's, always will be...)
                              Please God, No More!

Comment