Shop NGEN Performance
Shop 500 Madness

Ok... When I did all the work on the front end, I brought the front tires to get balanced. The tire shop told me they were already balanced. The car...

Need a good tire balancing. Run you car by a good alignment shop....

Tell us how you really feel. LOL

Sounds like a bent axle.

Tire shake at 45mph...

Hi all!
I have just completed a rebuild of my front suspension. I replaced both lower control arms, the left tie rod end, both front and rear...

500 Madness lists a pre-2016 T4 head unit, but all the pictures for it show the T2, which practically eliminates the center vents. There are dozens of...

update if anyone is interested

i found the correct transmission, but its at a dealership in washington. im from massachusetts. theyre selling...

Our car is compatible with the idatalink / maestro system but that's only on double din. I have it in my Toyota, it's nice. Too bad the android models...

The 500 Madness T4 is for Fiats from 2016 and up. I assumed yours is an older model since you were considering the Spiral Audio kit.

There...

MADNESS Spring Savings!

Save $70.00 on this Vertical Chassis Brace Kit by SILA Concepts for your FIAT 500.

Improve the handling...

It really depends on where dealers are. I surprisingly see more Alfas than Fiats around here. I have the feeling it is because the resale value is so...

I only ever seen one Alfa here. Since their reintroduction here....

post her car for sale, on Facebook market....

Nice white Abarth at the 2023 Fiat Freakout

New Milano to Junior!" mixes history and marketing strategy in an interesting way.​

It sounds like it could be a transmission issue or a problem from the car sitting for a while. It's a good idea to have a mechanic check it out.

I might check a parts listing first, especially if a Fiat dealer isn't close by. This diagram shows the door and latch mechanism. (You might want to change...

Alfa is self destructing into incompetency. They are going all in on EV just as the market for them crashes. The Tonale is a failure. It is like $10k...

3M Paint Defender Tested: Does DIY Paint Protection Work?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Andree
    Chief Car Looker Upperer
    Lifetime Member
    • Dec 2012

3M Paint Defender Tested: Does DIY Paint Protection Work?

"Those guys who brought you the Sticky Note have now found a way to bring paint protection film to your garage in a do-it-yourself form. The new 3M product is called Paint Defender, and it's a film that's sprayed on as a liquid, then dries as a solid.

In case you missed that, you spray a liquid onto your car's paint, and it dries as a solid piece of plastic."

Purchasing a vehicle is usually the second largest expense one will incur during their lifetime, the first being a house. Unfortunately, a vehicle is a massive depreciating asset that is quite expensive to begin with, so protecting one's new asset is essential. Many consumers--including our own editorial staff--use paint protecting films to help keep paint...

It's removable too. I'm thinking this could be useful as part of "winterizing the car". Wheels, lower body, for those snowy areas that also get the road salt.
    I'm a woman. W-O-M-A-N
    Love to help people look for the Fiat they want.
    That's why I call myself "Chief Car Looker Upperer"
  • FTY
    Lifetime Member
    Lifetime Member
    • May 2012

That was posted a month or two ago here and it seems to get mixed reviews. A lot of it has to do with the prep and how its applied, some people complaining its not thick enough.
    sigpic
    2012-FIAT ABARTH
    2015-ALFA ROMEO 4C
    2018-ALFA ROMEO GIULIA QUADRIFOGLIO
    EUROCOMPULSION STORE
    “THE BITTERNESS OF POOR QUALITY REMAINS LONG AFTER THE SWEETNESS OF LOW PRICE IS FORGOTTEN.”

Comment

• SP1
      • Mar 2012

About a month ago, I had a detail customer who sprayed this product on the front of his 2 week old 2013 Honda Accord.

Here is the hood after he applied the product. Realizing that he did not like the effect, he tried to peel it off with little success. He brought it to me to see what I could do. I used a citrus based solvent and plastic razor blade to remove the film.:

Once all of the 3M product was removed, I polished and waxed the hood.

Comment

• trevc
        • Jan 2012

Any ideas on what might have happened? Bad preparation or just not a good product?
        www.TMCAutosport.com

Comment

• SP1
          • Mar 2012

Originally posted by trevc
          Any ideas on what might have happened? Bad preparation or just not a good product?
          The owner claimed to follow directions as instructed on the container. He also stated that he drove the car within 5 hours of application. The film looked very uneven and matte-like after application. It could have not had enough time to cure before driving. He was very happy just to have it removed.

Comment

• Gigante
            • Sep 2012

Originally posted by trevc
            Hey Trevc, I am will attempt this tomorrow in preparation for my drive to FFO. I will be sure to follow all of the prep work and in the sequence they instruct. I may do a small test to see how well it works. From what I read you can under apply and over apply as well. If too much is applied the solution looks milky white and will require additional drying time. Either way, its worth a shot. I'll keep everyone posted.
            "Failure is simply the opportunity to begin again, this time more intelligently.” — Henry Ford

Comment

• trevc
              • Jan 2012

Thanks Gigante. If it works it will be the solution I am looking for!

Originally posted by Gigante
              Hey Trevc, I am will attempt this tomorrow in preparation for my drive to FFO. I will be sure to follow all of the prep work and in the sequence they instruct. I may do a small test to see how well it works. From what I read you can under apply and over apply as well. If too much is applied the solution looks milky white and will require additional drying time. Either way, its worth a shot. I'll keep everyone posted.
              www.TMCAutosport.com

Comment

• Andree
                Chief Car Looker Upperer
                Lifetime Member
                • Dec 2012

Originally posted by SP1
                The owner claimed to follow directions as instructed on the container. He also stated that he drove the car within 5 hours of application. The film looked very uneven and matte-like after application. It could have not had enough time to cure before driving. He was very happy just to have it removed.
                I don't think the product is meant for huge applications, like an entire hood. I'd think it would be good for the area by the lower wheel wells, where bits of dirt are always flying.
                I'm a woman. W-O-M-A-N
                Love to help people look for the Fiat they want.
                That's why I call myself "Chief Car Looker Upperer"

Comment

• Abarth619
                  Lifetime Member
                  Lifetime Member
                  • May 2013

I was going to do this, but ended negotiating the 3M clear bra into my Abarth purchase. When I heard and read about it a while back, I posted it here. Here's my original post that has some reviews and articles attached. http://www.fiat500usaforum.com/showt...hip-protection

Comment

• Abarth619
                    Lifetime Member
                    Lifetime Member
                    • May 2013

I totally agree with you Andree about applying it to the wheel well areas where rocks are a huge issue. I bought the kit a while ago to use on my FJ, but never used it. Now I know where I'm using it, great idea! I'm also applying it to the top of the rear bumper where the hatch is. It could protect the bumper from scratches when loading and unloading things into the hatch.

Heck maybe I'll also try to apply it to the painted parts of the door sills to protect them from careless shoes. My wife is notorious for sloppy exiting from the cars I've owned and causing scratches on the sills. I guess that's bound to happen when you carry a big bag and wear very sensible shoes all the time. Its worth a try I guess.

Comment

• Haring
                      Lifetime Member
                      • Feb 2012

I don't know if they're on these boards but there was an Abarth at FFO13 that looked like they used this on their hood and had issues removing it. It looked like a bad sunburn when the skin starts flaking off.
                      2018 Luminoso Orange 500c Lounge - H&R/Koni - Abarth Interior, 17" Wheels & Exhaust

Comment

• ALadies500L
                        • Aug 2014

Originally posted by Abarth619
                        I totally agree with you Andree about applying it to the wheel well areas where rocks are a huge issue. I bought the kit a while ago to use on my FJ, but never used it. Now I know where I'm using it, great idea! I'm also applying it to the top of the rear bumper where the hatch is. It could protect the bumper from scratches when loading and unloading things into the hatch.

Heck maybe I'll also try to apply it to the painted parts of the door sills to protect them from careless shoes. My wife is notorious for sloppy exiting from the cars I've owned and causing scratches on the sills. I guess that's bound to happen when you carry a big bag and wear very sensible shoes all the time. Its worth a try I guess.
                        Sheesh all shoes are sensible!
                        "Less brakes, More Gas!! "

Comment