Shop NGEN Performance
Shop 500 Madness

Edit to my post: This morning the car felt like it was misfiring as the low pressure warning flashed on again. I'm definitely going to have to avoid driving...

I see tons of Alfas around here, but I live near wealthy East Coast enclaves. Stevios are especially popular....

For item one, check the gas cap. There is an O-ring that gets brittle with age. Generally a squirt of lithium grease or something similar will refresh...

Low oil pressure + high oil consumpion/leak + unrelated CEL

Hello everyone. I have a couple of issues I would like some guideance with regarding my 2015 manual Abarth. I doubt these two problems are related to...

Tiers already balanced. In what way? Did he just look at the balance weights on the wheel or did he actually spin them on his machine?

Ok... When I did all the work on the front end, I brought the front tires to get balanced. The tire shop told me they were already balanced. The car...

Need a good tire balancing. Run you car by a good alignment shop....

Tell us how you really feel. LOL

Sounds like a bent axle.

Tire shake at 45mph...

Hi all!
I have just completed a rebuild of my front suspension. I replaced both lower control arms, the left tie rod end, both front and rear...

500 Madness lists a pre-2016 T4 head unit, but all the pictures for it show the T2, which practically eliminates the center vents. There are dozens of...

update if anyone is interested

i found the correct transmission, but its at a dealership in washington. im from massachusetts. theyre selling...

Our car is compatible with the idatalink / maestro system but that's only on double din. I have it in my Toyota, it's nice. Too bad the android models...

The 500 Madness T4 is for Fiats from 2016 and up. I assumed yours is an older model since you were considering the Spiral Audio kit.

There...

MADNESS Spring Savings!

Save $70.00 on this Vertical Chassis Brace Kit by SILA Concepts for your FIAT 500.

Improve the handling...

It really depends on where dealers are. I surprisingly see more Alfas than Fiats around here. I have the feeling it is because the resale value is so...

I only ever seen one Alfa here. Since their reintroduction here....

post her car for sale, on Facebook market....

Window tint info on a 500L

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Tweak
    Rest In Peace
    • Nov 2012

I have seen and touched it and it would seem to me they should have realized it before cutting into the windows.

Good luck whatever route you pursue and I hope you enjoy the forum.
    Show us your pride in your ride & win free prizes by entering (and winning) Ride of the Month!

Comment

• Fiat500USA
      Amministratore
      • Feb 2011

There was an earlier thread about this a couple of weeks ago: Getting Windows Tinted Tomorrow

The back side window in the Fiat 500L is polycarbonite and not a cheap plastic. It is actually a pretty big deal because it is first application of this material in a volume car. It is used for safety, strength and lightness. It is high tech and an example of Fiat bringing cutting edge design to cars people can afford.

There is a lot of information like this on Fiat500USA.com. I recommend everyone take some time when they can and read through the archives there. For example, this story I did back in January mentioned them: Fiat 500L at the Detroit Auto Show

Enjoy the Forum? Tell a Friend and Please Whitelist us on your Ad Blocker. Thx!

#modifiedabarth modifiedabarths.com
      fiat 500 forum signature
      abarth500forum.com fiat124spiderforum.com fiat500lusaforum.com fiat500xforum.com

Comment

• Andree
        Chief Car Looker Upperer
        Lifetime Member
        • Dec 2012

Originally posted by Fiat500USA
        There was an earlier thread about this a couple of weeks ago: Getting Windows Tinted Tomorrow

The back side window in the Fiat 500L is polycarbonite and not a cheap plastic. It is actually a pretty big deal because it is first application of this material in a volume car. It is used for safety, strength and lightness. It is high tech and an example of Fiat bringing cutting edge design to cars people can afford.

There is a lot of information like this on Fiat500USA.com. I recommend everyone take some time when they can and read through the archives there. For example, this story I did back in January mentioned them: Fiat 500L at the Detroit Auto Show

Did you really have to say "cutting edge"?
        I'm a woman. W-O-M-A-N
        Love to help people look for the Fiat they want.
        That's why I call myself "Chief Car Looker Upperer"

Comment

• Fiat500USA
          Amministratore
          • Feb 2011

Originally posted by Andree
          Sorry, it's been a long day...

fiat 500 forum signature
          abarth500forum.com fiat124spiderforum.com fiat500lusaforum.com fiat500xforum.com

Comment

• Fiat500USA
            Amministratore
            • Feb 2011

I merged these threads to help others.

fiat 500 forum signature

Comment

• DogFX
              • Aug 2013

The pictures are one post behind this one. If you need me to post again, just let me know.

Comment

• DogFX
                • Aug 2013

Originally posted by Andree
                Like always, I am a little late with information that could have saved me money. Oh well.

Comment

• DogFX
                  • Aug 2013

Originally posted by Haring
                  Shouldn't the tint place have checked? You sound more mad at the dealer for not telling you than the tint place not checking first.
                  This is the first application of this type of window in a volume car market. The tinting place did not know of this type of plastic being rolled out and the 500L is quite new to the market. A lot of room for errors. And, i am angry with the dealer. They were not very nice and did not go over any of the features of the car. I have had to learn from blogs and mistakes. Not a great buying experience at all. Love the 500L, hate the way I had to purchase it.

Comment

• DogFX
                    • Aug 2013

Originally posted by Curious
                    I gotta agree. The tint place is liable. It's their business to know what they are doing, not your duty to know about such surprise plastic.
                    To be honest, I am more angry with myself and I am not going after the tint place. They will replace the window but I want Fiat Service Center to perform the install. Very expensive. The owner has been very nice and will go with whatever route I choose but Fiat should warn us about this new feature. I am holding Fiat, Fiat dealers, and myself accountable. I not an angry person. I feel I should have known my car just as much as the window tint company. But, this is the first time (and I am a car enthusiast) that I have seen rear plastic windows not on a convertible. Most convertibles are not glass, even. I should have read the forums more but I was in the middle of moving, starting new job and got tired of renting a car. Many variables happening in my life at the same time.
                    This is a great forum. I will enlist your expertise in the future. Thanks

Comment

• Fiat500USA
                      Amministratore
                      • Feb 2011

Originally posted by DogFX
                      [ATTACH=CONFIG]7639[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]7640[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]7641[/ATTACH]
                      And this is the result of not knowing about the back windows. Please, inform the tech about this. I feel that my Fiat dealer should have made me aware of this but I am pretty disappointed in them anyway. Not a great experience purchasing from them. Love the 500L, dislike the dealer.
                      Sorry to hear that. Maybe a note to the dealer principal letting letting him/her know that you're disapointed in how the sales experience was may help salvage the situation. Hopefully they'll treat you like a valued customer in service. The sad reality is many dealership employees aren't car enthusiasts and it is just a job. They don't have the same passion that we have for the cars and don't have the motivation to learn every detail about a car like we do.

In anycase, if you have questions, let us know and everyone will be happy to help you.

fiat 500 forum signature

Comment

• Andree
                        Chief Car Looker Upperer
                        Lifetime Member
                        • Dec 2012

To be honest, I am more angry with myself and I am not going after the tint place. They will replace the window but I want Fiat Service Center to perform the install. Very expensive. The owner has been very nice and will go with whatever route I choose but Fiat should warn us about this new feature. I am holding Fiat, Fiat dealers, and myself accountable. I not an angry person. I feel I should have known my car just as much as the window tint company. But, this is the first time (and I am a car enthusiast) that I have seen rear plastic windows not on a convertible. Most convertibles are not glass, even. I should have read the forums more but I was in the middle of moving, starting new job and got tired of renting a car. Many variables happening in my life at the same time.
                        This is a great forum. I will enlist your expertise in the future. Thanks
                        The only thing I can think of offhand would be for Fiat/Dealers to create a Window Cling (the kind that clings and isn't permanently adhered and has no glue) for the two back windows that states it's this polycarb and not to use abrasives or sharp items on the windows. And an additional flyer that explains what the polycarb is and why it's cool and care tips.

I did a search of the Owner's Manual and User's Guide and don't see anything mentioning "polycarbonite". They have some mention of not using abrasive compounds, in reference to the paint and cleaning the car (they don't suggest using oven cleaner on the wheels, LOL, page 345 of the Owner's Manual).

They do mention the plastics used on the headlights and the instrument cluster lenses on page 347-348.

Oh! Forgot about this one, definitely a good tip:
                        CAUTION!
                        When installing hanging air fresheners in your ve- hicle, read the installation instructions carefully. Some air fresheners will damage the finish of painted or decorated parts if allowed to directly contact any surface.

Check out what happened to a dash on a Honda Fit from a particular kind of air freshener, this is from several years ago, I am TaffetaWhite over there:
                        General Fit Talk - Air Freshener Damage - I bought one of the 'Bug' air fresheners for my Jazz/Fit, it looks like this: http://img145.imageshack.us/img145/1917/4a8559c76b46cddab5bd544fa9.jpg And its promotional said : Movable with No Adhesives and No Residue Stick it Anywhere! The longest living bug you'll ever love...

Here's a specific link to the pic with the damage:
                        General Fit Talk - Air Freshener Damage - I bought one of the 'Bug' air fresheners for my Jazz/Fit, it looks like this: http://img145.imageshack.us/img145/1917/4a8559c76b46cddab5bd544fa9.jpg And its promotional said : Movable with No Adhesives and No Residue Stick it Anywhere! The longest living bug you'll ever love...

The person contacted the importer at my suggestion and the importer paid for the damage repair.
                        I'm a woman. W-O-M-A-N

Comment

• Andree
                          Chief Car Looker Upperer
                          Lifetime Member
                          • Dec 2012

Originally posted by Fiat500USA
                          Sorry to hear that. Maybe a note to the dealer principal letting letting him/her know that you're disapointed in how the sales experience was may help salvage the situation. Hopefully they'll treat you like a valued customer in service. The sad reality is many dealership employees aren't car enthusiasts and it is just a job. They don't have the same passion that we have for the cars and don't have the motivation to learn every detail about a car like we do.

In anycase, if you have questions, let us know and everyone will be happy to help you.

Speaking of details, maybe someone should make a sticky in the 500L forums on the rear windows and how to care for them?

I don't know my plastic compounds, so I don't know how easy or how difficult it is to scratch these windows.

Is it "OMG, don't let your t-shirt brush against the window, it'll scratch"?

Or "Just totally ruined the back windows by using the brush at the self-serve car wash"?

Or "Never use the drive-through car wash with the bristles, as it turns the windows into an opaque mess o'scratches"?

Or "There was a gravel truck fully loaded that dumped on my 500L, the car is totaled, but the rearmost windows look like new"?
                          I'm a woman. W-O-M-A-N

Comment

• DogFX
                            • Aug 2013

Just got this reply from Fiat's Facebook page; "Hi, the rear windows of 500L include third slots and therefore are made from polycarbonate. However, it is possible to choose a crystal windows during the purchase process. Please contact your local Fiat dealer for more details." That does not help me now and would have been good to know when I was purchasing the vehicle. Man, I see a lot of failures that could have been avoided in my purchase. Just a little information from the dealer and I would not be going through this. Oh well, I love the car but I am getting more and more angry at the dealer. Almost don't want to take ,y car there for servicing but I would have to drive four hours to the next dealer. What a pickle I am in.

Comment

• JoeB
                              • Aug 2013

Almost don't want to take, my car there for servicing but I would have to drive four hours to the next dealer. What a pickle I am in.
                              Just an FYI 'cause I realize dealers don't like to impress this upon people: You don't have to use a dealer for basic service. Most modern cars require nothing more than an oil change and tire rotation, with an occasional spark plug change. Your local oil-changer guy can handle this stuff. All the warranty requires is that you keep receipts to show the car was properly maintained. I only use dealers for warranty repairs.
                              2013 Abarth Cabrio, Nero w/ Rosso stripes/mirror caps, Nero cloth, Comfort & Convenience, Beats, clear bra, Turbo tails, Platypus front plate holder, Tributo Ferrari key fob

Comment

• armywife1971
                                • Aug 2013

I was told that I couldn't get the sunroof tinted, but I looked at the tint laws and couldn't find anything that said it was illegal. Anyone know for sure in TX?
                                Originally posted by 500MADNESS.com
                                We tinted our 500L about a week ago and had the same issue. The rear side windows are plastic and should not be tinted.

We went with Light tint all around and did not tint the back plastic windows. Since the rear windows are already tinted the light was enough to give the car a much darker look and the back windows still look darker due to all the other windows that we tinted.

You may also think about tinting the sunroofs if you have them. We went dark on the sunroof and it made a huge difference on the interior heat. You can still see out, but the inside temps went down by a lot.

Hope that helps a bit...

Comment