500 Madness

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Motul 5w40 Fiat Approved?! + A list of other Synthetic Oil Specs (5w40)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,156 Times in 771 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dart1.4t View Post

what i heard on the dart forum but can't confirm, is that pennzoil did not expect the demand for this oil and is having supply problems. that's why the dealer and amazon are the only places to get it. and i also heard chrysler has been testing different oils and may approve some more. so far it looks like they changed the standard for the dart to an existing standard for the srt cars and mobil 1 and redline are now approved in the owners manual.
    This is the same thing I read on the Italian and UK Abarth forums around Jan or Feb this year... the supply is constrained, so Fiat requested that certain dealerships start trying out and using different oils, and were also asked to send in oil samples for long term studies to see if the Multi-Air valving technology would play well with oils that had less detergent properties than the P Euro oil the technology was spec'd for. Other variants of Pennzoil were what was being tried and discussed on those forums at the time, but since then, at least one forum member here also got Valvoline put in their car at a Fiat Studio... not something I would be happy about.
    http://www.fiat500usaforum.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=509&dateline=14328366  62
    RAW Big Turbo, tuned to 250+whp on p93
    LSD, FX400, Okadas, 550cc, ported t-mani
    NightOwl Racing BC Racing with SWIFT Spring Suspension set up
    ATM FMIC, ATM Fenderwell Intake
    VanHook CF Rear Diff, doorhandles, hood vents and duct covers
    Advan RSII 17x7.5, rally stud conversion

Thanks
    According to Amsoil Technical the actual Chrysler spec for our Americanized Abarth is MS-10896. European Car Formula 5W-40 exceeds those requirements. It is designed for turbos and the "extended drain intervals established by European car manufacturers. It doesn't list Ferrari, but it does list recomende for BMW, Mercedes Benz, and Porsche. I put Amsoil in my first little TVR race car in 1974 and haven't looked back since. 21 cars including a Mercedes (360,000miles) and my last one a 520hp Dodge Hemi Super-Bee. It's also in my Abarth. You can reach technical at Amsoil if you have any questions

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eurowned View Post
    ............. An SN rated oil is a high grade which is just as good as the next SN rated oil. Best suggestion is stick to the manufactures multi weight 5w40 and run any of the SN rated oils.

Dunno about this. API has be caught more than once playing fast and loose with passing out superior grades for inferior oils. All SN oils are not the same with some just squeeking by the minimum standards and others clearing the minimum with yards to spare. For me, good SN is a true full synthetic and not the hydro cracked petroleum variant. And generally, if your paying less than $8.00 a quart, you are probably getting a hydro cracked product

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by shagghie View Post
    This is the same thing I read on the Italian and UK Abarth forums around Jan or Feb this year... the supply is constrained, so Fiat requested that certain dealerships start trying out and using different oils, and were also asked to send in oil samples for long term studies to see if the Multi-Air valving technology would play well with oils that had less detergent properties than the P Euro oil the technology was spec'd for. Other variants of Pennzoil were what was being tried and discussed on those forums at the time, but since then, at least one forum member here also got Valvoline put in their car at a Fiat Studio... not something I would be happy about.
    I would be pretty ticked if they were trying to figure out what other oils are ok with my car. Shouldn't they be doing this at a factory or with their own cars?

You can find Pennzoil all over the place now. Autozone regularly puts it on sale, and it really isn't that expensive at the dealer if you needed to get it there.

abarth500forum.com fiat124spiderforum.com fiat500lusaforum.com fiat500xforum.com

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fiat500USA View Post
    You can find Pennzoil all over the place now. Autozone regularly puts it on sale, and it really isn't that expensive at the dealer if you needed to get it there.
    I don't think the one at Autozone is the "euro" formulation which everyone seems to be referring to.

Quote Originally Posted by Mario Aponte View Post
    I don't think the one at Autozone is the "euro" formulation which everyone seems to be referring to.
    This is it. It's available at most Autozones.

http://www.fiat500usa.com/2012/09/fi...il-change.html

abarth500forum.com fiat124spiderforum.com fiat500lusaforum.com fiat500xforum.com

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fiat500USA For This Useful Post:

AECSUSN (12-12-2015), Mario Aponte (10-11-2015)

Thanks
    No one in here has mentioned Castrol Edge 5-40 full synthetic. It's the only 5-40 oil carried at my local autozone and is pricey at $8/bottle. Any thoughts or knowledge of its quality?
    2013 Fiat 500T Rosso
    RRM rear sway bar, Koni front struts, El Gato front chassis braces, 500Madness GoPedal, NeuF muffler delete, EC V4.1 intake, Gofastbits DV+

2016 Fiat 500X Pop Arancio
    500Madness GoPedal, custom Abarth style exhaust (resonator/muffler delete.), Gofastbits DV+, LED interior lights.

Quote Originally Posted by carfreak09 View Post
    No one in here has mentioned Castrol Edge 5-40 full synthetic. It's the only 5-40 oil carried at my local autozone and is pricey at $8/bottle. Any thoughts or knowledge of its quality?
    Here is a data sheet on Castrol Edge 5w-40: http://msdspds.castrol.com/bpglis/FusionPDS.nsf/Files/E13A9F271142244680257FAA0072394D/$File/BPXE-AA5D4U.pdf

$8 for edge is a pretty decent price. It is $9 at AZ where I live. Best to wait until it or the Penzoil goes on sale and then get it. Personally, the Penzoil is what I use in my Abarth. I've used Castrol 5w-40 for years in our Audi A4, but want to switch to Penzoil as it also meets VW502 standards.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Fiat500USA For This Useful Post:

NCfazer (07-30-2016)

Thanks
    RoadRace Motorsports
    I just order 6-quart cases of Pennzoil Euro from Amazon, so I always have some on hand. It runs about $50 for a case, with free shipping. I usually need to add a quart or two in the time between oil changes, so it's good to have the extras around.
    Andy 2013 500 Abarth 2008 Mustang Bullitt #5389 2003 SVT Focus #2370 2000 ROUSH Cougar SMF 71

13. The Following User Says Thank You to B3NN3TT For This Useful Post:

Fiat500USA (05-17-2016)

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast