Shop NGEN Performance
Shop 500 Madness

Welcome to the forum. Sorry to hear you are having an issue. An "ungodly" sound isn't too descriptive. What does it sound like? When does...

Valve length question

Hello,

2013 Abarth in Canada.

I had the typical burnt exhaust valve issue. I decided not to go with the OEM ones since first...

I am going to assume you mean Gen 1 because of cost.

Most Mechanical issues were corrected by 2017. If you do buy a 2016 make sure the motor...

What common issues should I look for in a 500x?

I'm looking at different cars and the 500x has crossed my mind. I'm wondering what issues I should look for because as a Fiat fan and someone needing...

Fiat 500 Specific roof top carrier with bike attachment for sale

I have a like new Fiat 500 Specific roof top carrier bars with a bicycle attachment. I bought it from Micks Garage in England - https://www.micksgara...

Automatic transmission? If that's an automatic it could be as simple as the battery being defective (or not fully charged).

I would start...

Yeah, Ford has a history of "minimal design". They want to save money and keep weight down so they design for using the least material. My neighbor's...

Help us raise funds to support Melanoma Canada.
Help us achieve our goal of raising $150,000 to help support the melanoma and skin cancer com

that's a funny. One of the very few issues I had with my brand new fuel injected YUGO was the PCV hose used to freeze up in freezing weather and oil would...

We had a great time. Thanks to everyone that helped put the event together!

2015 Fiat 500 Abarth - Starts, But Not Moving

Hi all! I've got a 2015 Fiat 500 Abarth that has been sitting for almost 6 months. I have not used it in the winter since it's not a great vehicle where...

^^^ This ^^^ its one weak design point. I had the 225 slant six in my Dodge Coronet. Great engine but mine had a habit of blowing oil out of the breather...

Abarth 4C!

This is interesting. They're taking existing 4Cs and reinventing them as Abarths

https://www.motor1.com/news/716049/alfa-romeo-4c-return...

pin which locks the charging door is broken.

Hi
In my 500Ee the pin which locks the charging door is broken.
Any idea where I can get a replacement?

THX...

I didn't actually take the drain plug off. I sucked the oil out of it as the plug was not coming off and If you see the location, you'll...

lol Great vid. Originally I heard they might allow owners to customize the slow speed audio byte. I assume the killjoys at NAFTA nixed that for the US...

That's an interesting case on your 124. Can you get to the vent and run a wire down it? In the old days I'd see grease and, sometimes, diff oil break...

Interesting thoughts ideas here. I like the tip about using the door as leverage, though I'm afraid I'd find out my door pins are shot, too....

Motul 5w40 Fiat Approved?! + A list of other Synthetic Oil Specs (5w40)

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Deefourtay
    • May 2012

Motul 5w40 Fiat Approved?! + A list of other Synthetic Oil Specs (5w40)

I just did a quick comparison from different 5w40 Synthetic Data Sheets because I was bored.

I found that Motul X-Clean is approved for Fiat too!
    http://www.motul.com/system/product_...5W-40_(GB).pdf The FIAT 9.55535-S2 performance level imposes the engine oil to combine both ACEA C3 standard
    and 5W-40 viscosity grade in order to perfectly lubricate all Gasoline engines of FIAT, ALFA-ROMEO,
    and LANCIA produced from July 2007.
    *Viscosity at 100°C (212°F)*
    -Pennzoil Ultra Euro: 13.2 mm²/s (FIAT APPROVED)
    -Motul X-Clean: 14.1 mm²/s (FIAT APPROVED)
    -Shell Rotella T6: 14.2 mm²/s
    -Eneos: 14.67 mm²/s
    -Valvoline Synpower: 13.1 mm²/s
    -Agip PC : 13.44 mm²/s
    -Redline: 15.6 mm²/s
    -Amsoil Euro: 13.6 mm²/s
    -Shell Helix Ultra: 13.1 mm²/s (FIAT APPROVED)
    -Liqui-Moly Synthoil: 14.1 mm²/s

*Viscosity at 40°C (104°F)*
    -Pennzoil Ultra Euro: 80.7 mm²/s
    -Motul X-Clean: 84.7 mm²/s
    -Shell Rotella T6: 87 mm²/s
    -Eneos: 90.23 mm²/s
    -Valvoline Synpower: 79.0 mm²/s
    -Agip PC : 79.67 mm²/s
    -Redline: 97 mm²/s
    -Amsoil Euro: 83.3 mm²/s
    -Shell Helix Ultra: 74.4 mm²/s
    Liqui-Moly Synthoil: 86 mm²/s

*Flash point*
    -Pennzoil Ultra Euro: 215.5°C
    -Motul X-Clean: 234°C
    -Shell Rotella T6: 224°C
    -Eneos: 226°C
    -Valvoline Synpower: 230°C
    -Agip PC : 240°C
    -Redline: 232°C
    -Amsoil Euro: 220°C
    -Shell Helix Ultra: 215°C
    -Liqui-Moly Synthoil: 222°C
    2013 Grigio Abarth W/ Nero Trim.
    Instagram: Deefourtay
  • shagghie

is 'Fiat' approved the same thing as for the MultiAir 1.4L though? I thought our engines were the exception in their line up, hence the narrow specifications, etc., with regards to the MultiAir valving requirements, and detergent requirements.
    sigpic
    RAW Big Turbo, tuned to 250+whp on p93
    LSD, FX400, Okadas, 550cc, ported t-mani
    NightOwl Racing BC Racing with SWIFT Spring Suspension set up
    ATM FMIC, ATM Fenderwell Intake
    VanHook CF Rear Diff, doorhandles, hood vents and duct covers
    Advan RSII 17x7.5, rally stud conversion

Comment

• Deefourtay
      • May 2012

Motul is really up there when it comes to high quality oils, it’s an Ester Based Synthetic.. Not the Hydrocracked over the shelf stuff. Group V oils usually provide better film strength protection and are cleaner.. They don’t ash as much as Group III Oils.

The specs of Agip PC are very close to Pennzoil Euro though, I wouldn't mind giving that a try since a lot of Ferraris and Lamborghinis been using the stuff for decades. I’ve had first hand experience with Agip for Motorcycles, great stuff.. It doesn’t even smell like oil, it’s virtually odorless!

The Oil Specs are pretty strict for our cars, so we need to run the best oils for sure. Too bad most don't have an official approval for Fiat-Chrysler! Pennzoil Ultra is definitely safe since it's the only fully certified oil, but there will be times where we can't get our hands on it and will need to quickly cross reference another oil to use.

BTW Motul is around the same price as Pennzoil Ultra, but easier to get.. & Agip should cost a bit more.
      Last edited by Deefourtay; 06-24-2013, 04:45 PM.

Comment

• dart1.4t
        • Apr 2013

Originally posted by Deefourtay
        Motul is really up there when it comes to high quality oils, it’s an Ester Based Synthetic.. Not the Hydrocracked over the shelf stuff. Group V oils usually provide better film strength protection and are cleaner.. They don’t ash as much as Group III Oils.

The specs of Agip PC are very close to Pennzoil Euro though, I wouldn't mind giving that a try since a lot of Ferraris and Lamborghinis been using the stuff for decades. I’ve had first hand experience with Agip for Motorcycles, great stuff.. It doesn’t even smell like oil, it’s virtually odorless!

The Oil Specs are pretty strict for our cars, so we need to run the best oils for sure. Too bad most don't have an official approval for Fiat-Chrysler! Pennzoil Ultra is definitely safe since it's the only fully certified oil, but there will be times where we can't get our hands on it and will need to quickly cross reference another oil to use.

BTW Motul is around the same price as Pennzoil Ultra, but easier to get.. & Agip should cost a bit more.
        i don't know what the fiat oil spec is for the multiair but the chrysler spec is ms-12991 or ms-10896. but amsoil is saying ms-10850 supersedes ms-10896 and the 4th edition manual for the dart is now saying ms-10725 in the fluids pagewhich was the requirement for the srt cars but still says ms-10896 on the warranty page . the amsoil should have ms-10725 as well as ms-10850, mobil1 0w40 is ms-10725 as well as redline 0w40 and 5w40. motul probably hasn't been tested by chrysler.

anyway motul isn't exactly on store shelves in the united states but it can be mail ordered and you won't find fiat oil requirements on the side of oil bottled for the USA either. maybe canada. it would be nice if someine can verify the fiat specification for a multi-air turbo and make certain it's not for a t-jet or non turbo multiair then we can try to compile a list of acceptable oils.
        Last edited by dart1.4t; 06-24-2013, 07:57 PM.

Comment

• Eurowned
          • Aug 2011

Originally posted by dart1.4t
          i don't know what the fiat oil spec is for the multiair but the chrysler spec is ms-12991 or ms-10896. but amsoil is saying ms-10850 supersedes ms-10896 and the 4th edition manual for the dart is now saying ms-10725 in the fluids pagewhich was the requirement for the srt cars but still says ms-10896 on the warranty page . the amsoil should have ms-10725 as well as ms-10850, mobil1 0w40 is ms-10725 as well as redline 0w40 and 5w40. motul probably hasn't been tested by chrysler.

anyway motul isn't exactly on store shelves in the united states but it can be mail ordered and you won't find fiat oil requirements on the side of oil bottled for the USA either. maybe canada. it would be nice if someine can verify the fiat specification for a multi-air turbo and make certain it's not for a t-jet or non turbo multiair then we can try to compile a list of acceptable oils.
          I build race engines and I use Mobil 1, Amsoil, Rotella, Motul. An SN rated oil is a high grade which is just as good as the next SN rated oil. Best suggestion is stick to the manufactures multi weight 5w40 and run any of the SN rated oils.
          sigpic

Comment

• Deefourtay
            • May 2012

Luckily for me Motul is stocked on store shelves, at a tuner shop in my area. They also sell Agip at an Exotic Car Dealership in my area as well! You're not going to see Pennzoil Ultra on the shelf either, I haven't seen a single place around here have it!

Originally posted by dart1.4t

Comment

• deathshead
              • Jan 2012

But Rotella is at every walmart for a quarter of the price.

Comment

• jguerdat
                • Jul 2012

You're not going to see Pennzoil Ultra on the shelf either, I haven't seen a single place around here have it!
                The service department near me stocks this by the case, piled up right outside the window. Maybe ask them to carry it.
                Jeff Guerdat

2013 Fiat 500 Abarth
                2016 Cadillac ATS-V 6 speed manual

Comment

• shagghie

Originally posted by jguerdat
                  The service department near me stocks this by the case, piled up right outside the window. Maybe ask them to carry it.
                  I just ordered via Amazon Prime with Free 2-day Shipping... (the P Euro)
                  sigpic

Comment

• djhace
                    • Aug 2012

my baby just got some Amsoil Euro. :-)

Comment

• Deefourtay
                      • May 2012

Originally posted by deathshead
                      But Rotella is at every walmart for a quarter of the price.
                      I'm currently running Rotella T6 in my car as we speak. Good stuff

Comment

• Deefourtay
                        • May 2012

Straight off the 2013 Owner's Manual.. Doesn't appear that the Chrysler Material Standard MS-10896 is listed this time, like in the prior 2012 Manual. Looks like we can use any Synthetic as long as it is API Certified and 5w40!

http://www.scribd.com/doc/121622819/...-Owners-Manual Page 63: Engine Oil with Filter, 1.4L Turbo. We recommend you use API Certified SAE 5W-40Full Synthetic Engine Oil. 4 Quarts (3.8 Liters)

Comment

• shagghie

Straight off the 2013 Owner's Manual.. Doesn't appear that the Chrysler Material Standard MS-10896 is listed this time, like in the prior 2012 Manual. Looks like we can use any Synthetic as long as it is API Certified and 5w40!
                          After browsing UK Abarthisti and a buncha italian ABarth forums via google translate, looks like the reason for this is a short supply of the Pennzoil Euro, so the only thing they could do is lower the standard. As far back as late last year, Fiat was asking certain dealerships to begin testing some other oils (other Variants of Pennzoil, as well as a select few other brands even) to see how the engines would react (our engines were designed specifically with the high-detergent and viscosity targets of the P Euro oil during the design phase, so they weren't sure how engines would react to a broader spectrum of oils WRT valve speed/lubrication over extended oil change intervals). Dealers were asked to send oil samples back to Fiat for analysis over time. Perhaps that effort has been concluded and now reflected in the newer manuals? Apparently Pennzoil did not expect the demand for the US market between the dart and Ab 500 sales in terms of oil production for the euro variant.

They also have been putting in 5/30 oil lately, too... (EDIT)
                          sigpic

Comment

• Deefourtay
                            • May 2012

At least I can sleep soundly on this matter now, Rotella T6 @ about $20 for a 4 liter jug at Walmart.. You can't beat that! Great oil so far My Studio put Valvoline in my car prior to this, and the oil thinned out at an alarming rate after I did an Autocross. Bad idea to use that oil on their part!

Comment

• dart1.4t
                              • Apr 2013

the dart has an owners manual and a "user guide" the user guide has always said api 5w40 and would be a good defense if you had a warranty issue but the owners manual and warranty disclaimer explicitly said ms-10896 untill the 4th edition which say ms-10725 which includes mobil1, a lot easier to get.

could be the same situation here. but many dodge service techs don't even know about the specific oil requirements and a warranty denial would have to be damage as a result of oil failure. they couldn't cancel the warranty entirely because you told them you weren't using the required oil. if your ecu fails they can't deny the warranty because you aren't following the oil change requirements. you would need bearing damage without loss of oil pressure.

Comment