500 Madness

Thread: Fiat 500e vs Chevy Spark comparison

Thanks

Fiat 500e vs Chevy Spark comparison

http://insideevs.com/plug-in-compact...rk-vs-fiat-500

I won't ruin the surprise...

I got wait listed for about a month for a Honda Fit EV so I hope the Fiats 500e launch goes well and they make an announcement to launch nationally- I would cancel the deposit on my fit in a heartbeat.
    Last edited by vandetta; 06-03-2013 at 07:51 PM.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to vandetta For This Useful Post:

Andree (06-03-2013)

Chief Car Looker Upperer Lifetime Member Andree's Avatar
    Thanks
    Chevy Spark is a neat little car. A bit bigger, more practical with the rear doors. I find it difficult to push the seat back in the 500 when I've decided to put something in the back seat. The bending, twisting, turning to access the rear seat in the 500 is not something I can do on a regular basis. I did look at the regular version of the Spark, really liked the Lemonade color with the yellow cloth interior. But I was trying to get away from cloth, and the yellow exterior doesn't have yellow seats in the vinyl seat version. There is a nice red, with red seats. And I see they now have a purple-blue called Grape Ice. Like that. Guess they discontinued the pink.

On the 500e, the big winning moment for me comes with the white/ivory interior. And the sun roof. I need to have both color and light, it does help with mood.

I hope Fiat opens it up nationwide too. But I noticed the Spark is also only west coast, California and Oregon.

Let us know how it goes, if you get the Fit EV. You'll get a lot of features you can't find on the 500e, such as SPACE. LOL. I'm sure you'll enjoy that aspect, I miss it. I miss being able to pick up a giant houseplant and being able to put it on the floor in the back, easily, from the magic seat popping up. So easy with back doors.

Thanks
    I really hope the 500e becomes available nationwide at some point. The spark has to be one of the ugliest cars I have ever seen. The Fit is not quite as ugly.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Small&Wicked2013 View Post
    I really hope the 500e becomes available nationwide at some point. The spark has to be one of the ugliest cars I have ever seen. The Fit is not quite as ugly.
    I have to agree with that, and the review. The Spark's "face" is particularly scary and Fiat did a real nice job with all the 500s; they are sharply designed, cute to some, un-cheap for a smaller economically priced car.
    Wicked Dot - Rosso+black Abarth 500c
    MoJo - Electric Orange 500e stealth performer
    First love Rosso 500c Sport (Abarth suspension, Sport rims+seats, RRM rear bar).

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by msjulie33 View Post
    I have to agree with that, and the review. The Spark's "face" is particularly scary and Fiat did a real nice job with all the 500s; they are sharply designed, cute to some, un-cheap for a smaller economically priced car.
    I've had the chance to drive both. I currently own a Sport 5ps IC Fiat. I am seriously considering selling my current 500 Sport for an EV.

I have to say the Spark EV is a rocket...it will smoke both the Fiat 500E, Sport and Abarth. Especially in mid-range it really, really caught me off guard how rapid it is. I can't imagine how quick electric cars (in small compact form like the 500E or Spark) will become in the future as battery weight goes down. But they are so fun and feel so different than regular cars...it's a fantastic thing to look forward to...at least for me. I won't miss any exhaust note, smell, etc...many petrol heads seem to crave all the time.

Overall the Spark EV is a nice car. It has a sportier ride than the 500E...the Fiat felt floaty. The Spark EV's ride is somewhere in the middle of 500E and Sport. It's steering is nicely weighted and I loved the sporty, nicely stitched steering wheel. Seats were meh...so so. Adequate I guess. The standard Spark has side indicators in the mirror housings...these have been eliminated from the Spark EV...probably for aerodynamics but I definitely think that was a mistake to omit this feature.

The Spark EV also has a traditional P, D, L, lever...totally unnecessary in such a car and they should have the button system in most EV's today. It has 10 airbags and apparently performed better in off-center crashes than the 500E or 500 (well at least the standard Spark did).

The dash interface on the Spark is superior to the 500E. It offers more information, more integration, and gives more stats than are available in the 500E. It is easier to use and has far more many features by virtue of the second screen and GM's On-Star, etc.

Quality-wise, just by feel, I have to give it to the Fiat. It feels more upscale. The 500E felt of higher quality even more so than my current 500 Sport. My sport is 18 months old and has a few squeaks and rattles that are...to me...not acceptable. The 500E felt quieter and better put together....possibly because the engineers realized the lack of the engine drone and smoother ride exposes the shortcomings of the standard 500.

The Spark EV was quiet too. No squeaks, no rattles...but it was a new car. So I can't vouch for its long-term quality and finish. It definitely felt cheaper both inside and out. But it's also a far cheaper car in base IC trim. The Spark EV is a bigger car inside I believe...it definitely has a far more useable rear seating area...I was shocked how much legroom I had in the rear with my driver's seat positioned where I would normally sit for driving. The two additional doors come in handy too.

The slow charger issue on the Spark is a big problem I think...which will be addressed perhaps in the next iteration. I don't think either Fiat or GM are serious about EV's to be honest as these are both token cars to meet MPG mandates and emissions mandates so they can both keep selling their traditionally abysmally inefficient gas guzzlers. The Spark EV now can be also purchased with the Fast DC charging plug interface but it's a useless option as there are almost no Fast DC chargers available anywhere for it. And installing one at home would cost you well in excess of $15k-20k. So you're stuck with a 240V, 16AMP charging unit.

However, anyone who wants an electric car TODAY and can handle the shortcomings of charging time and range (i.e. they don't need to drive more than 60 miles a day realistically), then these are both fine options IMO. But they are small cars make no mistake.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Andree View Post
    Chevy Spark is a neat little car. A bit bigger, more practical with the rear doors. I find it difficult to push the seat back in the 500 when I've decided to put something in the back seat. The bending, twisting, turning to access the rear seat in the 500 is not something I can do on a regular basis. I did look at the regular version of the Spark, really liked the Lemonade color with the yellow cloth interior. But I was trying to get away from cloth, and the yellow exterior doesn't have yellow seats in the vinyl seat version. There is a nice red, with red seats. And I see they now have a purple-blue called Grape Ice. Like that. Guess they discontinued the pink.

On the 500e, the big winning moment for me comes with the white/ivory interior. And the sun roof. I need to have both color and light, it does help with mood.

I hope Fiat opens it up nationwide too. But I noticed the Spark is also only west coast, California and Oregon.

Let us know how it goes, if you get the Fit EV. You'll get a lot of features you can't find on the 500e, such as SPACE. LOL. I'm sure you'll enjoy that aspect, I miss it. I miss being able to pick up a giant houseplant and being able to put it on the floor in the back, easily, from the magic seat popping up. So easy with back doors.
    I would stay away from the Fit...it does terribly in crash tests...the off-set impact test is horrifyingly poor. Scary!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,371 Times in 1,138 Posts
    Welcome to the forum armondm.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Tweak For This Useful Post:

armondm (02-06-2014)

Thanks
    I owned a Fit EV for a year and a half, 22K miles, and LOVED it. It did really well in the crash test we did, 3 side air bags deployed, and only we suffered soft tissue damage. It is unfortunate for us that Honda decided not to repair the car for us. We will try to get another. Meanwhile, I have driven the Spark and bought the Fiat, mostly because my wife and daughter love it, and partly because of the 6.6KW charger. The Fiat is quick enough for the wife, costs $170/year less to insure, and looks better.
    Chuck J
    "Addicted to unique rides"
    '14 Honda Fit EV #289 (Charged with Solar)
    '13 Fiat 500e (Charged with Solar)
    '13 Honda Fit EV #26 (totaled after 22K miles)
    '07 Honda Civic GX (Natural Gas)
    '70 Buick GS 455 Stg. 1 Ragtop

Thanks
    I largely dislike GMC for making cheep products so ... regardless I like the 500e..

Thanks
    RoadRace Motorsports
    My good buddy has a Spark EV and I got my Fiat 500e not too long ago. We're going to test out each others cars and autocross them at some point and will update how that goes. Based purely on looks we both like the Fiat more, but on paper, the Spark is surprisingly straight line fast!

Has anyone timed the fiat 500e 0-60? It feels faster than 9.1 seconds i see posted everywhere...

This review quotes the fiat 500e 0-60 at 7.8 seconds:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0_-W...yer_detailpage
    @14:37

-Larez2