PDA

View Full Version : K&N "Drop In" not so "Drop In"

Dr. FIAT
05-21-2013, 09:00 PM
Guys- I had a problem with the fitment on my K&N ordered from Amazon ( I used the proper part number referenced on here). As I stated on another thread, the rubber square does not fit well in the red filter cover. No matter how I tried to push down to get it to slip in there, I just ended up mashing the rubber surround and warping the filter. As a result, there was always a gap between the cover and the airbox.

The result of all this? The car ran very gritty through the powerband, and I had a rather subdued kick in the seat under boost. I guess since the airbox was in effect open inside the hot engine bay, this hot air got sucked in. I put the stock filter back in, and it seated with a "pop" when I pressed down on the cover. Now the car runs like a sewing machine!

So, if you all have the drop-in K&N, and your car is running poorly, check the seating of the filter. And if you have the OEM, make sure that it "pops" when torqueing down those three 8mm screws on the cover. Thanks to Shagghie also for pointing this out....

Hope this helps!

Darin

Vaejovis carolinanus aka lowconabarth
05-21-2013, 09:40 PM
Be careful with those 8mm screws, I stripped one out on my factory airbox. Not as big a deal for me since I use the Eurocompulsion CAI.

DJ Sueno
05-21-2013, 09:49 PM
Mine took a few days to run smoothly, which I thought was related to the computer re-learning...

After initially installing I had felt around and looked underneath the cover, and it seemed after tightening, that the filter was finally seated...

I will see about opening the cover tomorrow and checking the status of the filter...

BTW, your car now "runs like a sewing machine!" , is that a good thing or a bad thing ?!?!? I have never heard that expression... :p

Dr. FIAT
05-21-2013, 09:56 PM
Mine took a few days to run smoothly, which I thought was related to the computer re-learning...

After initially installing I had felt around and looked underneath the cover, and it seemed after tightening, that the filter was finally seated...

I will see about opening the cover tomorrow and checking the status of the filter...

BTW, your car now "runs like a sewing machine!" , is that a good thing or a bad thing ?!?!? I have never heard that expression... :p

LOL Sueno- it's a great thing! What I mean is that the powerband is now so smooth, like a sewing machine. Well, a pissed off, angry, spitting, backfiring sewing machine....

I think I've boogered up my K&N so bad that it may never fit right in there. I'll just keep it stock until I change intakes. Thanks!

DJ Sueno
05-21-2013, 10:01 PM
LOL Sueno- it's a great thing! What I mean is that the powerband is now so smooth, like a sewing machine. Well, a pissed off, angry, spitting, backfiring sewing machine....

I think I've boogered up my K&N so bad that it may never fit right in there. I'll just keep it stock until I change intakes. Thanks!
:smile:

You have any pics of the filter now ? The whole issue with the K&N may lie in the fact that it is not "made" for the Abarth. It is just a filter for another car with "almost" the same measurements, off by a few mm.

I wonder if the BMC filter has any better fitment ? I would hope so, considering it is specific for the Abarth.

Maybe one of the vendors can confirm...

Dr. FIAT
05-21-2013, 10:08 PM
:smile:

You have any pics of the filter now ? The whole issue with the K&N may lie in the fact that it is not "made" for the Abarth. It is just a filter for another car with "almost" the same measurements, off by a few mm.

I wonder if the BMC filter has any better fitment ? I would hope so, considering it is specific for the Abarth.

Maybe one of the vendors can confirm...

I'll see if can shoot one tomorrow. You know, I'm not beyond taking a razor blade and trimming off enough excess to get a snug fit. I think the enhanced airflow will be worth it- the stock filter looks highly restrictive....

Jjm4life
05-21-2013, 10:54 PM
Had a k&n drop in installed in my lotus cup car intake on my exige, never fit perfectly despite being the correct part. Guess its a theme

Fiat500USA
05-22-2013, 01:41 AM
Here is a hint: You sometimes have to fit a K&N filter into the top of the airbox and not into the bottom like the factory filter.

SeaDawg
05-22-2013, 07:34 AM

WOW, you make me feel SO old! It's been around for decades and decades and...biggrin

Dr. FIAT
05-22-2013, 09:13 AM
Here is a hint: You sometimes have to fit a K&N filter into the top of the airbox and not into the bottom like the factory filter.
Both the stock filter and the K&N fit into the top (the red cover) in the same orientation. There is no way to seat the filter on the bottom of the airbox (the black part).

nojeebs
05-22-2013, 10:11 AM
That's unfortunate the k&n got bent on installation. I was concerned a little during my install since you had to push it into the red cover and hope as you close the gap that it doesn't slip out a bit. Mine seems to have worked out fine as I don't have any issues with lose of power but yeah it is a pretty weird that'll just cause problems.

FootScoot
05-26-2013, 08:25 AM
I used the BMC filter in mine and it fit perfectly. It was a little snug but went right in making for a good seal. Throttle response was a little better too.

KKaWing
07-15-2013, 08:13 PM
Necrooooo-bump! beerchug

K&N Filters have part numbers for Fiat 500 specific applications now.

*Source* (http://www.knfilters.ca/search/appsearch.aspx#&&/wEXBgUIQVBQX1RZUEUFATAFDlJFRkVSRU5DRV9OQU1FBQpBUFB fU0VBUkNIBQlBUFBfTU9ERUwFATgFCEFQUF9NQUtFBQMxMTMFC kFQUF9FTkdJTkUFATQFCEFQUF9ZRUFSBQEzQ0YANzqf5h8JLsf FEMmCMbYzXxzr2JptL9NKkBKDcKY=)

Non-Turbo - 33-2471
Turbo - 33-2487