PDA

View Full Version : 2nd gear and up either low rpm or high pulls, rattle from dash area

ultramagnus
05-16-2013, 10:44 AM
I absolutely love my 2013 Abarth but I keep getting things happen to me that make me want to sway my vote.

I had it in storage for winter right after buying it. First week out, CEL came on with a coolant sensor fault. The dealer cleared it saying nothing and then I had my rockers re-done as they were peeling. The new ones are not that great but it looks ok.

Now with just hitting 400km's on the car, when I pull either in a low rpm range or start to give it (pedal down, but not to the ground) and the rpm'ms are above 3500, the dash area seems to rattle. The sound seems to be coming from the middle area, but I just can't put my foot down on where exactly. If I let off, the sound goes away and does not come back until I am in that rpm range again on acceleration.

I am worried about bringing it into the dealer. I don't want them to do nothing, and after hearing about the tech at my studio, he apparently "has a chip on his shoulder" from what I am hearing which is why he just cleared my engine light without finding anything wrong.

anyone else having this rattle issue?

I just love the car, I really want it to be ok.

shagghie
05-16-2013, 12:11 PM
I have a dash gremlin as well. I was going nuts thinking this whole time it was my aftermarket air intake set-up rattling things. A few sundays ago I went 'open turbo' with no intake on the car at all, and I got the same 'buzzzzzz' /rattle. It is in every gear just north of 3k, and even with my wife driving and me hunting around the cabin bay with hands to dampen surface areas, etc... I was unable to locate it. I read in some italian forums several months ago that there are some issues with nuts/screws falling off the back of gauges and switches in the dash area. If that is the culprit then I may have to take apart my dash and use magnets or a steathascope while banging on things to locate the culprit....and while i'm in there, loctite any other bolts I can find. Not looking forward to it, but this little screw/bolt, wherEVER it is, is about to meet it's maker!

I absolutely love my 2013 Abarth but I keep getting things happen to me that make me want to sway my vote.

I had it in storage for winter right after buying it. First week out, CEL came on with a coolant sensor fault. The dealer cleared it saying nothing and then I had my rockers re-done as they were peeling. The new ones are not that great but it looks ok.

Now with just hitting 400km's on the car, when I pull either in a low rpm range or start to give it (pedal down, but not to the ground) and the rpm'ms are above 3500, the dash area seems to rattle. The sound seems to be coming from the middle area, but I just can't put my foot down on where exactly. If I let off, the sound goes away and does not come back until I am in that rpm range again on acceleration.

I am worried about bringing it into the dealer. I don't want them to do nothing, and after hearing about the tech at my studio, he apparently "has a chip on his shoulder" from what I am hearing which is why he just cleared my engine light without finding anything wrong.

anyone else having this rattle issue?

I just love the car, I really want it to be ok.

ultramagnus
05-16-2013, 12:57 PM
but is this not covered under warranty? I know most manufacturers have a one year 18,000 rule, but mine has just 400km's on it and had it since Januaray.

I work at BMW and we have to deal with this type of issue even past those times, we have that rule but it doesn't matter, we still have to address the issue.

shagghie
05-16-2013, 12:59 PM
but is this not covered under warranty? I know most manufacturers have a one year 18,000 rule, but mine has just 400km's on it and had it since Januaray.

I work at BMW and we have to deal with this type of issue even past those times, we have that rule but it doesn't matter, we still have to address the issue.

I think a dealer will take care of it...but since it takes some time to break down the dash (I think, after looking at it a little), I would rather spend that time myself looking around and tightening other nuts up which I doubt the dealer will do. You can't go wrong either way though, and hey, IF they find it, will you ask them to tell you WHERE /WHAT it was in case we have a 'common culprit?"

Thomas
05-16-2013, 01:35 PM
Buzzes and rattles are a pain. I have never had these types of issues rectified by a dealer, but it's always worth a try. The usual answer is something like 'could not replicate or operating as designed' etc...The problem is it often takes quite a bit effort to narrow down the source and find the root problem. It helps to be able to isolate the source to a narrow area. In some cases, the 'fix' turns out to be something quite simple. I would widen the search area. The acoustics in a car can affect where you think the noise is coming from. I had a noise driving me nuts in one car for ages, and it turned out to be the male part of the cigarette lighter rattling. I would keep pressing down on all of the spots to try and stop the noise, it helps to have someone else in the car do this. I currently have an annoying snapping noise coming from near the driver's door speaker, but the noise only manifests itself in a certain narrow temperature range. Best of luck.

ultramagnus
05-16-2013, 06:18 PM
Buzzes and rattles are a pain. I have never had these types of issues rectified by a dealer, but it's always worth a try. The usual answer is something like 'could not replicate or operating as designed' etc...The problem is it often takes quite a bit effort to narrow down the source and find the root problem. It helps to be able to isolate the source to a narrow area. In some cases, the 'fix' turns out to be something quite simple. I would widen the search area. The acoustics in a car can affect where you think the noise is coming from. I had a noise driving me nuts in one car for ages, and it turned out to be the male part of the cigarette lighter rattling. I would keep pressing down on all of the spots to try and stop the noise, it helps to have someone else in the car do this. I currently have an annoying snapping noise coming from near the driver's door speaker, but the noise only manifests itself in a certain narrow temperature range. Best of luck.

This is a problem I deal with here at our dealership everyday. I hate it when some of the guys give it the boot with the "no fault found" issue. When my engine light came on and I got the boot, I tried to let him know that I work at BMW which so happens to be owned by the same owner, technically we are co-employees. The tech choose not to speak with me, and does not in the future, which is why I am worried about bringing it in to just get hacked at.

This is my first car and I am really trying to take good care of it. I have my appt next week. I would love to take my dash apart, I don't know how and I do not want to break anything. I take the dash's on BMW's apart all the time due to evaporator issues so that is a breeze for me, plus I have places to reference if I ever need to see how to get at something. I do not have that type of material for the Abarth.

ewflyer
05-16-2013, 06:22 PM
Reading your (original poster's) description of the rattle issue makes me wonder if it might not be related to the gear lever rattle/shake that some people, myself included, are experiencing. Several people have posted here on the forum about this and it's odd because everybody describes it differently. On my Abarth it only happens in 3rd gear.

It seems that the Abarth's shift linkage assembly isn't very well isolated from the other parts of the car that it snakes through on the way from the transmission to the shifter. Or maybe it just isn't designed very well and it transmits too much of the vibration that the engine/transmission generates during normal operation.

To be honest, this is the first car I've ever owned or driven regularly that transmits so much vibration through the shifter and that list includes some cheap cars (like '70s era Datsuns) and some relatively expensive cars (BMW, Acura, Lotus).

ultramagnus
05-17-2013, 10:58 AM
It sounds definitely like from the front of the dash area, near the windshield at the bottom, I really tried to listen while driving, thing is I have to keep it in let's say 4th or 5th and accelerating slowly like coasting on a highway. Thing is traffic is wierd here so I can't get it going for to long without having to let off the gas

I know here at BMW the X5 used to have an issue with the defroster vent under the dash that ran the length of the window would rattle, I am just concerned Fiat will just push me away.

shagghie
05-17-2013, 11:31 AM
It sounds definitely like from the front of the dash area, near the windshield at the bottom, I really tried to listen while driving, thing is I have to keep it in let's say 4th or 5th and accelerating slowly like coasting on a highway. Thing is traffic is wierd here so I can't get it going for to long without having to let off the gas

I know here at BMW the X5 used to have an issue with the defroster vent under the dash that ran the length of the window would rattle, I am just concerned Fiat will just push me away.

Try calling them and just asking a service tech if you should bring it in. Let fingers do the walking....