PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone attempted to test fit OEM 15" or 16" wheels to the Abarth?

Giuseppe
05-16-2013, 10:28 AM
I was thinking about running my Prima or OE 15" wheels on my Abarth for track days. I haven't had time to test fit them yet. Has anyone attempted this? Or does anyone know of a light 15" wheel that will clear the brakes? Appearance is unimportant. I am trying to achieve functionality. And I did search, but all I found were the stance mesh wheels.

shagghie
05-16-2013, 11:34 AM
I was thinking about running my Prima or OE 15" wheels on my Abarth for track days. I haven't had time to test fit them yet. Has anyone attempted this? Or does anyone know of a light 15" wheel that will clear the brakes? Appearance is unimportant. I am trying to achieve functionality. And I did search, but all I found were the stance mesh wheels.

I'm looking at a bunch of different 15x8 wheels... now just looking for a local shop that stocks em so i can try some on.
The stock 15" imo, aren't wide enuf to gain much advantage.

msr, mrr, advan, or any of the Rays' brands will work in 4x100, too.

a 15x7 in +35mm should be a safe bet

oh and for a cheap, light option, can't go wrong with buddy club wheels!

FTY
05-16-2013, 12:07 PM
The stock 15"s will clear the rear but not the front brakes. Hope this helps- chris

Your better off with a 30 offset in a 15" if looking for something non-stock.

redred
05-16-2013, 12:24 PM
I know the Stance wheels in 16x8 fit just fine. Not sure about any 15's. I was looking at the Stance Emotion wheels in 15's but they don't clear the front brakes.

shagghie
05-16-2013, 12:31 PM
The stock 15"s will clear the rear but not the front brakes. Hope this helps- chris

At what wheel widths? Even 8"?

jguerdat
05-16-2013, 03:35 PM
What about with spacers or is it the diameter?

shagghie
05-16-2013, 09:11 PM
What about with spacers or is it the diameter?

I measured the distance between the rear torsionbar and the inside of our 17" wheels.
Looks a tad over 1 1/4".

So a 15" wheel would be an inch closer to that torsion bar mount, leaving only 1/4" clearance, assuming the wheel we pick out is built with exact same proportions as our stock 17" wheels.

Meaning.... we won't know till we try on a set, but at least it isn't an impossible proposition.

Giuseppe
05-17-2013, 10:57 AM

Do you think a 30 offset will allow front clearance? I am just trying to get a lower roll center on the track. And honestly, 15" slicks are much cheaper.

shagghie
05-17-2013, 12:11 PM
Do you think a 30 offset will allow front clearance? I am just trying to get a lower roll center on the track. And honestly, 15" slicks are much cheaper.

If we can just measure the stock 16" internal break clearance on the front, then we can extrapolate from that to determine what internal diameter specs any aftermarket wheel needs to have. Anyone up for it?

redred
05-17-2013, 12:40 PM
If we can just measure the stock 16" internal break clearance on the front, then we can extrapolate from that to determine what internal diameter specs any aftermarket wheel needs to have. Anyone up for it?

I have 16's. What info do you need? Happy to pull the wheel off if need be. Just give me a list of dimensions you would like to get

BigDaddySRT
05-17-2013, 01:04 PM
I measured the distance between the rear torsionbar and the inside of our 17" wheels.
Looks a tad over 1 1/4".

So a 15" wheel would be an inch closer to that torsion bar mount, leaving only 1/4" clearance, assuming the wheel we pick out is built with exact same proportions as our stock 17" wheels.

Meaning.... we won't know till we try on a set, but at least it isn't an impossible proposition.

How would that 15" Wheel be "closer" to that torsion bar mount if both the 17" and 15" wheel had the exact same Offset????

Enlighten us?????

shagghie
05-17-2013, 01:56 PM
How would that 15" Wheel be "closer" to that torsion bar mount if both the 17" and 15" wheel had the exact same Offset????

Enlighten us?????

I don't mean closer from a latitude angle (the Torsion bar mount already sits INSIDE the 17" rim). I mean closer from a longitude axis, as in how close the torsion bar mount that is already sitting inside the wheel is to the inner surface of the wheel (vice the inner edge of the wheel).

I didn't mention offset. I meant 'proportions', meaning, assuming X aftermarket wheel is build with the same inner diameter proportions regarding the space behind the spokes in which the torsion bar mount sits in.

2Cool
05-17-2013, 08:16 PM
Only 15" rims I have seen pictures of mounted to an Abarth are the Monza Competiziones in 6.5" width and 15mm offset.

White Abarth
05-18-2013, 08:07 AM
I was thinking about running my Prima or OE 15" wheels on my Abarth for track days. I haven't had time to test fit them yet. Has anyone attempted this?

I've tested it. Prima and/or Sport wheels fit the Abarth just fine. They're 16" (Pop and Lounge have 15"), have the exact same offset as the standard Abarth rim, and fit over the brakes and torsion bar without any issues. Prima's tire is even the same size as standard Abarth tire.

jguerdat
05-18-2013, 08:37 AM
It's the 15" that are potentially the most interesting due to available tire sizes. Good to know that the 16s do work, though...

shagghie
05-18-2013, 01:21 PM
Only 15" rims I have seen pictures of mounted to an Abarth are the Monza Competiziones in 6.5" width and 15mm offset.

Did you happen to notice if the torsionbar mount ended up inside the wheel cavity with 6.5", or whetherit cleared it by being just outsideof the wheel altogether?
If the former, I can use

2Cool
05-18-2013, 02:39 PM
Did you happen to notice if the torsionbar mount ended up inside the wheel cavity with 6.5", or whetherit cleared it by being just outsideof the wheel altogether?
If the former, I can use

Did not see that, but I suspect the torsion bar bracket is the issue as the 7.5" width Competizione wheels do not clear on the Abarth.

Berliner
05-18-2013, 02:47 PM
Ok I try to fit the 2012 16 Inch Sport Wheels on an Abarth. I have a Forum Member that would like to buy my Wheels. I could not get them on because of the Front Calibers. Maybe I did something wrong but would be somebody so kind to let me know if they would fit. Just to be on the safe side. thx

DJ Sueno
05-18-2013, 04:41 PM
Ok I try to fit the 2012 16 Inch Sport Wheels on an Abarth. I have a Forum Member that would like to buy my Wheels. I could not get them on because of the Front Calibers. Maybe I did something wrong but would be somebody so kind to let me know if they would fit. Just to be on the safe side. thx

They do fit... I sent you a PM... :smile:

Berliner
05-18-2013, 05:04 PM
Thx Dj for the Link. I must have done something wrong

FTY
05-18-2013, 06:57 PM

The stock wheels are 35s..30 will push the face of the wheel away from the car allowing for more room internally. This also is dependant on the wheel design.

Personally Id go with 16's.

redred
05-18-2013, 07:01 PM
I just installed BF Goodrich Sport COMP 2's on the stock Abarth 16's and so far they are amazing. Really happy I stuck with the 16's.

For those who are interested, I ordered 205/45 R16's