PDA

View Full Version : Daytona 5/17/13

Cajun
05-14-2013, 03:27 PM
Who's going to be there for this one?
I'm driving over Thursday.

2Cool
05-14-2013, 04:22 PM
I will be there, driving up Friday morning.

lenswerks
05-14-2013, 05:15 PM
I'll be there Friday.

2Cool
05-17-2013, 08:13 PM
Couple of pics from today. Whole lotta Abarths there, lots of fun had by all. Even managed to take second in the overall autocross times.

Cajun
05-18-2013, 07:47 PM
Good job on the autocross, Ian!!
Juan, who took first place, did Really well. I don't remember if he said he'd done autocross before.

I had an absolute blast all day. Met and talked to plenty of nice folks who all seemed to love their cars.
The road course events were my favorites of the day.
Watching the videos, I can see that I got faster and smoother each lap. Then, when we got to ride along with the instructor driving, I was really surprised at how well the little Abarth did.

Felix

Cajun
05-18-2013, 08:01 PM
Another pic of the parking lot with all the customer cars:

lenswerks
05-19-2013, 11:11 AM
Congratulations to the winners!

The infield road course was my favorite as well.
The somewhat straight in front of our pits and that after exiting the horseshoe you could reach speeds of 80 observed.
Liked all those technical turns with the kink at the end of back straight, then the left and back right to hairpin on to short straight then sweeper and slight right then left in front of pits.

The first turn coming into the pit straight where the pavement went from black top to light gray was at times hard for me to judge the entrance line. If it were not for that I think I'd felt a little more comfortable with holding more speed there and be able to shift up for more speed on the pit straight.

This was a lot of fun.
I think there were around 55 of us driving on Friday.

2Cool
05-19-2013, 02:29 PM
Congratulations to the winners!

The infield road course was my favorite as well.
The somewhat straight in front of our pits and that after exiting the horseshoe you could reach speeds of 80 observed.
Liked all those technical turns with the kink at the end of back straight, then the left and back right to hairpin on to short straight then sweeper and slight right then left in front of pits.

The first turn coming into the pit straight where the pavement went from black top to light gray was at times hard for me to judge the entrance line. If it were not for that I think I'd felt a little more comfortable with holding more speed there and be able to shift up for more speed on the pit straight.

This was a lot of fun.
I think there were around 55 of us driving on Friday.

My instructor kept telling me to lift through there, even though I could have gone through flat to the floor with no issue. He also panicked a bit at the end of the back straights before the tight left, I liked to go in hot and brake hard enough to have the back end slide and rotate onto line. I suppose if I was a passenger for that I would be nervous too, heh

Cajun
05-19-2013, 05:03 PM

Yep, that last turn before the pits and the S curves kept giving me trouble... I had a hard time judging it, kept hitting it too low and too slow.
It's been a LOOONG time since I've been on any kind of racetrack, but this event has reminded me what I've been missing. I think I'm going to see if I can get some time on the NOLA road course sometime soon, just for giggles.

paxtonmarshall
05-22-2013, 07:08 PM
Just wondering if anyone who participated in the trackday on the 16th (also Daytona) is also reading this thread (apart from me). We had a blast, a great group of like minded Abarth fanatics. Strange to see so many Abarths in one place. Would love to do it all again!

zubenelgenubi
05-24-2013, 08:52 PM
I was there on the 16th, had a great time.