PDA

View Full Version : Craven Short Shifter Came Loose While Driving

Deefourtay
05-12-2013, 08:57 PM
I just got my car back from the studio on Friday and haven't drove the car since! Today I took the car on the freeway and the shifter had full play and wasn't shifting anymore so luckily I had time to pull over.. I pulled the boot up, and saw the the bottom shift linkage ball joint popped right out of the Craven Unit, I popped it back in by hand and drove it back home right away! Anything like this happen to anybody else? The bottom linkage seems to move quite roughly, I may have to install the stock unit soon just to be safe.

shagghie
05-12-2013, 09:02 PM
I just got my car back from the studio on Friday and haven't drove the car since! Today I took the car on the freeway and the shifter had full play and wasn't shifting anymore so luckily I had time to pull over.. I pulled the boot up, and saw the the bottom shift linkage ball joint popped right out of the Craven Unit, I popped it back in by hand and drove it back home right away! Anything like this happen to anybody else? The bottom linkage seems to move quite roughly, I may have to install the stock unit soon just to be safe.

wow! glad you are safe! I haven't had that happen, no. Wondering if the ball maybe wasn't fully pushed into the plastic socket the first time? I really had to bang on it with a rubber hammer to get it to seat, and it did have an 'initial' seat before the 'final click!', IIRC. Did any of the white plastic tabs break during the initial install? Also, what type of grease did you use when you first installed it? As you know, i've had mine since January, and have done several auto-x events and other hard driving with no issues. Have you taken it apart to inspect again yet? Glad you're OK! Defo contact Tarin at CravenSpeed and let her know!

Deefourtay
05-12-2013, 09:58 PM
It wasn't the center ball assembly SHAGGIE, it was the oem linkage and lower arm on the craven assembly, the small male ball joint connecting to the female oem shift linkage. I'll give craven a ring about it! No broken tabs but I see plenty of black plastic shavings residue in there, everything is seated correctly.. I used a rubber mallet too during the install and some prolong ep2 grease in the main large shifter ball joint

shagghie
05-12-2013, 10:28 PM
ahh sorry, yes, I mis-read your OP. Damn, man!

Crossfirecat
05-12-2013, 11:01 PM
Unrelated but, I had an issue with the Allen screw that holds the shift shaft in the pivot ball. I had to take it out and retighten it. The shaft is starting to wobble around again so, this time it's going back in with loctite!

Back on topic: What are the black plastic shavings coming from? The socket in mine is white and my oem cable ends are steel. Is your linkage coming in contact with the console or the rest of the shifter frame? That could have caused the cable to bind and pop off the shifter.

500ways
05-12-2013, 11:15 PM
Whoa, this is disturbing! Luckily, you are safe and no one else was put in harm's way and you were able to safely pull over. You would think the manufacturer would have used semi-perm loctite on the screws. Also disturbing is the shavings you noticed.

In any case, I hope this gets straightened out for you and that all is well with your car. Let us know how you make out and what Craven tells you.

Deefourtay
05-12-2013, 11:53 PM
Most of importantly for sure is that I didn't get into a car accident because of this happening, knock on wood.. I'll let you guys know what happens when Craven can get back to me!

Abarth Five O
05-13-2013, 01:20 AM
Sorry to hear about your trouble. Thankfully you got out of that tenuous situation safely. I've had mine for 8 months with no issues. Shifting between gates actually became smoother as it broke in over time. When I installed mine, I made sure the ball joints and linkage rods lined up as squarely as possible and snapped it together as firmly as possible. The black shavings would indicate some kind of rubbing or scraping issue going on. Hopefully Cravens can assist you. You should also contact the vendor from whom you bought it for assistance. EC is also very helpful as they sell the Cravens SS.

FootScoot
05-14-2013, 08:41 AM
This thread is disturbing as I was considering a CravenSpeed SS, but I think I'll hold off a while and see what happens here.

Deefourtay
05-14-2013, 04:23 PM

Every gear has a sloppy loose "play" feeling in it.. It doesn't click into gear like the OEM Unit would. I dealt with it for awhile, but what pushed me over the edge is the main fact that the shift linkage would pop right off of the Short Shifter Unit which still scares me.

500ways
05-14-2013, 04:32 PM

Every gear has a sloppy loose "play" feeling in it.. It doesn't click into gear like the OEM Unit would. I dealt with it for awhile, but what pushed me over the edge is the main fact that the shift linkage would pop right off of the Short Shifter Unit which still scares me.

This is scary. I have postponed consideration of ANY aftermarket short shifter (complete unit or adapter) until further notice, especially while the car is still under warranty.

Deefourtay
05-14-2013, 04:54 PM
I'm a really analytical person and I know when something is not right. When I raced at the Abarth Experience using the Factory Bone Stock cars, I've noticed that the stock shifter units on them felt a lot more solid and clicked into every gear flawlessly. That's why I made another thread regarding the Bonalume SS because it looks very similar to the stock unit in size, so I may end up liking it more.

This is scary. I have postponed consideration of ANY aftermarket short shifter (complete unit or adapter) until further notice, especially while the car is still under warranty.

Fiat500USA
05-14-2013, 04:57 PM
I am assuming the cable popped off the ball and the ball is still attached to the short shifter. Take a look at the cable's ball socket for damage as well as the ball on the Craven unit. Maybe the ball was machined to small? You could measure and compare to the OE shifter you have. Let us know. I don't think there is too much to go wrong, besides what I mentioned and maybe the shifter's arm being out of alignment and putting a strain on the cable enough for it to pop off.

Deefourtay
05-14-2013, 05:19 PM
I am assuming the cable popped off the ball and the ball is still attached to the short shifter. Take a look at the cable's ball socket for damage as well as the ball on the Craven unit. Maybe the ball was machined to small? You could measure and compare to the OE shifter you have. Let us know. I don't think there is too much to go wrong, besides what I mentioned and maybe the shifter's arm being out of alignment and putting a strain on the cable enough for it to pop off.

Good Idea, I'll check when I have a chance

shagghie
05-14-2013, 06:18 PM
Good points. Maybe just a firm (But careful, don't over crimp) of the socket holding the cable ball in place is all that's needed. Mine was a SOB to get into that cable socket, so yes, perhaps your balls too small!

Deefourtay
05-14-2013, 06:29 PM
My thumb is still sore from popping that thing back in when I was on the freeway.. I wanted to it fast because the last thing I would have wanted was for a car to plow right behind me. haha.

Seafarer61
05-14-2013, 08:42 PM
The irony of short shifters and/or heavy shift knobs is one week after install, it becomes the new normal. I actually found the Craven sphere knob was all the stock unit needed to firm up things. I actually prefer the mid-distance throws over short throw units. For me, it makes fast shifting more accurately an easier task. Gotta say though...such a malady while on the road is definitely a scary thing. Hope this gets resolved.

Deefourtay
05-15-2013, 04:15 PM
So 500Madness is awesome as always, they are willing to help me make an exchange for a different setup :positive:

Craven on the other hand called me on the phone personally & did not want to give me a refund for their product other than store credit, I did send them Videos & Photos per their request though so they can figure out what's going on and implement changes in their products if needed. They said they want to prevent any future issues with other consumers that purchase their products. They were still hands on with me trying to figure out what's going on at least, I just decided that I wanted to go a different route now. Well may be out of the many people with this setup, I happened to be the unlucky one with it? Who knows.

djhace
05-15-2013, 05:52 PM
bad service from craven. i must say. if product is defect, they should take it back.

Deefourtay
05-15-2013, 06:19 PM
bad service from craven. i must say. if product is defect, they should take it back.

I totally agree Djhace, a good company should stand 100% behind their product and do whatever is needed to make the customer happy.

wilbmeister
05-15-2013, 07:47 PM
I am wondering if this is a one time thing. I don't think we jump on Craven until we know why this happened. Maybe I missed it but we don't know the cause or if there was an installation problem. Has anyone else had this problem?

Deefourtay
05-15-2013, 08:07 PM
I am wondering if this is a one time thing. I don't think we jump on Craven until we know why this happened. Maybe I missed it but we don't know the cause or if there was an installation problem. Has anyone else had this problem?

Nobody is jumping on anybody, I was just stating an issue.. If you take the time to read through this thread, you might understand better. :)

And yes, there can be a 1st time for everything. You have no idea how many times people have said how perfect theirs are, but may be I was just an unlucky bastard and got a bad one or something. Anyhow, I'm over it and moving onto another product heh

Kellen@Craven
05-16-2013, 01:11 PM
Nobody is jumping on anybody, I was just stating an issue.. If you take the time to read through this thread, you might understand better. :)

And yes, there can be a 1st time for everything. You have no idea how many times people have said how perfect theirs are, but may be I was just an unlucky bastard and got a bad one or something. Anyhow, I'm over it and moving onto another product heh

It does feel like that could be cleared up, D40. I know that I couldn't get you a refund since you bought the product through Madness not Craven, but I did offer to replace it, right? Then, I set you up with an appointment at Madness to get the problem solved, right? If it wasn't intentional, the thread you started here makes it sound like we just told you that you were up a creek and we didn't care, I don't feel like that is the case, do you?

I don't think you have meant to mislead anybody here, but I just read the whole thread and it feels like I got dragged through the mud, but I am not sure what I did to deserve it. If you disagree, this is the place to share your thoughts. I just think that your words may have been misunderstood in case you want to clarify.

-=Kellen

Deefourtay
05-16-2013, 01:31 PM
Kellen,

Sorry if you think it's anything personal, but it's really not.. I've stated clearly that I may have just been the only one unlucky with the product so far, but to stay on the safe side. I would personally prefer to not use the same product again, Madness has offered to check out the issue and put the stock unit back in for me which is what I'm content with right now. There's plenty of guys on here that like their Craven Products, but apparently I'm the only one having issues. Don't get me wrong, you guys are awesome for your hands on custom service! Hopefully you understand, don't get offended.. Make the best of what happened and prevent future issues from happening again with your products. Nothing in the business world is 100% perfect, all mistakes can learned & fixed. I will see if 500Madness can confirm the issue for you, and we will keep you updated.

BTW sorry if I misunderstood the refund situation, I was probably over thinking it.. 500Madness is the Vendor I was suppose to contact first since I've purchased it from them but I wanted to keep you guys in the loop too.

Thanks,

-Ryan.

It does feel like that could be cleared up, D40. I know that I couldn't get you a refund since you bought the product through Madness not Craven, but I did offer to replace it, right? Then, I set you up with an appointment at Madness to get the problem solved, right? If it wasn't intentional, the thread you started here makes it sound like we just told you that you were up a creek and we didn't care, I don't feel like that is the case, do you?

I don't think you have meant to mislead anybody here, but I just read the whole thread and it feels like I got dragged through the mud, but I am not sure what I did to deserve it. If you disagree, this is the place to share your thoughts. I just think that your words may have been misunderstood in case you want to clarify.

-=Kellen

Kellen@Craven
05-16-2013, 02:18 PM
Kellen,

Sorry if you think it's anything personal, but it's really not.. I've stated clearly that I may have just been the only one unlucky with the product so far, but to stay on the safe side. I would personally prefer to not use the same product again, Madness has offered to check out the issue and put the stock unit back in for me which is what I'm content with right now. There's plenty of guys on here that like their Craven Products, but apparently I'm the only one having issues. Don't get me wrong, you guys are awesome for your hands on custom service! Hopefully you understand, don't get offended.. Make the best of what happened and prevent future issues from happening again with your products. Nothing in the business world is 100% perfect, all mistakes can learned & fixed. I will see if 500Madness can confirm the issue for you, and we will keep you updated.

BTW sorry if I misunderstood the refund situation, I was probably over thinking it.. 500Madness is the Vendor I was suppose to contact first since I've purchased it from them but I wanted to keep you guys in the loop too.

Thanks,

-Ryan.

No worries, Ryan. It didn't seem intentional, I just don't want anyone to get the wrong impression of how we do things. Thanks for clearing that up, and thanks to Madness for helping you out!

jcct
01-07-2014, 03:00 AM
Don't want to thread-jack, but I just installed my Craven Speed Short-Shifter and it binds badly. I wish in their instruction they warn people to add liberal amount of thick lithium grease onto the ball and the white socket before reassembly. Just my 2cents. Other than that, the shifter is well-made and the amount of throw is great.