PDA

View Full Version : 1500 mi. Check Engine Light - Warranty Work - Evaporative System Leak -- P0456

OhioMade
05-09-2013, 09:33 PM
On the way to work today, I rolled 1,500 miles and the check engine light came on. Since I have not had any troubles to date, I thought maybe it was a random code. I called the studio nearest my work (Fiat Strongsville), even though this is not where I purchased, and they said to come right in on my lunch break, they would check it out.

The code related to the evaporative system. They inspected and found a minor leak. The studio had seen a few just like it before mine, so they had the parts in stock to rectify.

I was in and out in 35 minutes. No hassles, no problems, all covered under warranty of course.

I was left feeling pretty good that my car diagnosed its own problem.

Question: I asked the service manager if he had heard about issue of side skirt separation happening after putting the Abarths on the lifts, and he said no. He said that they used truck lifts, and that he didn't think the lifts would rub against the skirts or cause any problems. I don't really understand the lift issue as it relates to the skirts coming off, so if anyone can explain and also answer whether the truck lifts would negate the cause of the problem, please do so. I want to know what I am talking about next time.

Dwaynek
05-09-2013, 10:28 PM
the only issue i am aware of side skirt separation when the vehicle were being transported

Ryephile
05-09-2013, 10:59 PM
Glad the dealership actually used the code to pinpoint the trouble!

Do you know exactly what was loose, or leaking? Did they have to replace anything or did they just have to fasten a line or something? Just curious as I'm discovering how sensitive the Evap system is.

OhioMade
05-09-2013, 11:26 PM
They had to replace something. "Replaced ESIM and seal" it says on my invoice. Not sure what that means. I was so happy they had the parts in stock that I didn't press for more details, sorry.

From the invoice, it looks like the parts nos. are "52855827AB Detector-Evaporative System" and "52129436AA Seal-Vapor Canister".

The service manager said it was "minor leak".

Ryephile
05-10-2013, 08:44 AM
Thanks! I'll look that up and see what area of the car that's in.

OhioMade
05-10-2013, 09:31 AM
Thanks! I'll look that up and see what area of the car that's in.

I've done a bit of research as well...seems EVAP is a bit temperamental... I had no trouble with turbo boost to 18 psi in sport mode before the warranty work. After the warranty work, seems to pull up a bit shorter now (17 psi). No noticable performance gap, so not going to worry about it unless I get another CEL.

My dad was a mechanic, and he always told me to avoid turbos due to higher maintenance needs. This is my first turbo, so I expecting it to need a bit more service/care than a non-turbo.

Dad never said how much fun it was to drive a turbo--maybe he didn't know? :)

FiatCares
05-10-2013, 05:22 PM
On the way to work today, I rolled 1,500 miles and the check engine light came on. Since I have not had any troubles to date, I thought maybe it was a random code. I called the studio nearest my work (Fiat Strongsville), even though this is not where I purchased, and they said to come right in on my lunch break, they would check it out.

The code related to the evaporative system. They inspected and found a minor leak. The studio had seen a few just like it before mine, so they had the parts in stock to rectify.

I was in and out in 35 minutes. No hassles, no problems, all covered under warranty of course.

I was left feeling pretty good that my car diagnosed its own problem.

Question: I asked the service manager if he had heard about issue of side skirt separation happening after putting the Abarths on the lifts, and he said no. He said that they used truck lifts, and that he didn't think the lifts would rub against the skirts or cause any problems. I don't really understand the lift issue as it relates to the skirts coming off, so if anyone can explain and also answer whether the truck lifts would negate the cause of the problem, please do so. I want to know what I am talking about next time.

Im happy the studio was able to address your concerns. As for the side skit separation, Ill look and see if truck lifts have any more success that the regular size ones.

Dr. FIAT
05-10-2013, 11:00 PM
Well, I can tell you that this car needs to be jacked with hand jacks when rotating tires. Discount tire tried to use a lift- and did not center the blocks on the frame rails, rather on the cladding. After yelling at him to let the car down, the cladding is dented in right behind the front tires. I have not seen adhesive tape separation yet, but Discount Tire will be paying for any and all damages. The car does not balance well at all on a lift either, due to the extreme front weight bias. With the 500, I would recommend manual jacks at all points, and no contact with the cladding AT ALL....Just my experience :)

OhioMade
05-10-2013, 11:40 PM
Well, I can tell you that this car needs to be jacked with hand jacks when rotating tires. Discount tire tried to use a lift- and did not center the blocks on the frame rails, rather on the cladding. After yelling at him to let the car down, the cladding is dented in right behind the front tires. I have not seen adhesive tape separation yet, but Discount Tire will be paying for any and all damages. The car does not balance well at all on a lift either, due to the extreme front weight bias. With the 500, I would recommend manual jacks at all points, and no contact with the cladding AT ALL....Just my experience :)

I am concerned about the lifts. The dealer had a couple 500s on the showroom floor with snow tires and snow rims on them (done at the dealership), and on one of them a side skirt was coming off near the front tire.. I can only think it was due to the lift.

Dr. FIAT
05-11-2013, 11:06 PM
Yep, the front is where it happens...the car is actually resting on the cladding- all 60% of its weight or thereabouts.

OhioMade
05-11-2013, 11:34 PM
Yep, the front is where it happens...the car is actually resting on the cladding- all 60% of its weight or thereabouts.

Crap. Seems inevitable that this will occur if I go back to the same dealer. Will try and find a dealer who is aware of the issue and knows how to put the car on the lift.

erland
05-12-2013, 02:00 AM
I have seen this problem too. The car has to be jacked up carefully and using the correct spots. Many of the dealers are used to other types of cars and our cars are still new to them. Watch them closely when they put your car on a frame lift and make sure it's not touching anything plastic.

Tweak
05-13-2013, 12:13 AM

Saw an Abarth at the local dealer with dented side skirts that were pulling from the car, looks like on that side at least someone put some serious weight on the skirt, then the front bumper bottom nearest the wheel is also broken a little so who knows how it actually happened. This is a big concern of mine though taking the car anywhere for any service. :(
I also hate the magnetic #s they stick on cars at some places!

luckymoi
05-13-2013, 12:43 PM
I think you'll find that dad built his impression of turbos back in the day.
Early Saabs, Volvos and so forth.Even BMW had metal issues with lousy valve train wear.
Metallurgy has done wonders for cars and that includes the turbos; in addition the designs have evolved, the abarth for example has the automatic cool down to extend bearing life.
Buy, drive, enjoy!

OhioMade
05-13-2013, 12:45 PM
I think you'll find that dad built his impression of turbos back in the day.
Early Saabs, Volvos and so forth.Even BMW had metal issues with lousy valve train wear.
Metallurgy has done wonders for cars and that includes the turbos; in addition the designs have evolved, the abarth for example has the automatic cool down to extend bearing life.
Buy, drive, enjoy!

After driving the turbo, I don't know how I could ever go back to a non-turbo... Just too much fun.