PDA

View Full Version : Not sure if this is supposed to happen?

13VaAbarth
05-05-2013, 04:15 PM
Well yesterday I Decided to go for a lil mountain road carving on skyline drive and around there I was in sport mode with the Esc partially off and under heavy braking the car moved around a lot like it didn't want to brake straight is this common when the Esc is partially off I also notice it in daily driving when someone cuts me off. Oh and the drive was pretty awesome loving this car!

jguerdat
05-05-2013, 05:00 PM
Might want to check tire pressures and alignment. At autocrossing speeds I've had nothing similar. However, the rear does get very light (check the pic of the nodded Abarth under heavy braking with the rear wheels off the ground). I've been told that I've had the car looking like the rear was going to lift off at an autocross. Road surface can be part of the issue, too.

Robert Nixon
05-05-2013, 08:36 PM
With ESC partially off I would expect it to handle a bit differently, but without knowing the road conditions, how hard you were braking, etc, it is difficult to tell. If you could drive the same route with ESC full on you could compare it more. From what I remember Skyline Dr has a speed limit of only 35 or so doesn't it?

Tweak
05-05-2013, 08:46 PM
Hard or emergency braking has been said to cause the tail to get pretty crazy and I can only guess when the ESC isn't fully on it'd be more likely.

Fiat500USA
05-05-2013, 09:23 PM
The back end can move around under hard braking, especially depending on the road surface. The first time I experienced this was following a factory driver on a mountain road with no guardrails. He set a blistering pace and when we came up to a hairpin I got down hard on the brakes. Feeling the car move around and looking over the edge was a good reminder to dial it back a few notches. The problem with street driving is you never know when a wheel will hit a patch of gravel/dirt and things will get interesting real quickly! On the track, I like that the rear has some personality, but on the street I keep it in mind when I'm doing my thing!

13VaAbarth
05-06-2013, 01:57 AM
Thanks for the responses ill have to try with the esc on a few times and yes 35mph is the speed limit on skyline drive and I drove it about 40 to 45 mph but where I was driving at a faster pace was the road to get there 211 has some nice curves right before/after you get to skyline, I was going up hill mostly, but its more fun going down hill. and the road was pretty smooth imo. Tire pressures were all at 39 psi is what the car said when last checked before leaving. Also alignment seems fine no pulling to one side or the other on the hwy when I let go if the steering wheel.

Seafarer61
05-06-2013, 03:00 AM
Tire pressures were all at 39 psi is what the car said when last checked before leaving.

I thought TP was 38/32? I have mine at these numbers and occasionally under hard braking at speed, the rear wants to shake it's arse but with the weight distribution being what it is, I expect that. Otherwise, it tracks quite predictably using 38/32.

erland
05-13-2013, 04:24 PM
I find the tail gets a little loose under hard braking, I think it's due to the light back end, the car does have crazy nose heavy weight distribution. Not really a bad thing as it gives us more interior room with all the mechanical shoved so far forward, but it's going to require a trade off at some point.

jguerdat
05-14-2013, 08:10 AM
I thought TP was 38/32? I have mine at these numbers and occasionally under hard braking at speed, the rear wants to shake it's arse but with the weight distribution being what it is, I expect that. Otherwise, it tracks quite predictably using 38/32.

Yeah, I suspect this is a great place to start. I screwed up my first autocross by mis-reading the tire pressure placard and had 38 psi all around. 38/32 was a LOT better.