PDA

View Full Version : FR-S onwer considering buying an Abarth

guygeo
05-05-2013, 11:11 AM
Good morning.
I'm from Mtl, Quebec and considering getting an Abarth 2012 Mopar Edition.

I currently own a 21013 Scion FR-S, but has many issues with the car in 8 months of ownership, went 7 times to the dealer..:

Water in the rear lights (rear light lenses changes)
Crackinh noise from under the rear window, the welds spots were crcking, had to be greased
Cold start problem- problem was related to a DTC P 1604
Reprogramming of the ECU - to no avail to cure the cold start problem
Change of ECU- so far so good, but the warm weather is finally here
Pingning at low acceleration- still there
Chirping noise from fuel pump in engine bay-- documentated at the dealer and on You tube
Now, they will change the fuel pump for a brand new one - another visit at the dealer

Luv the way the car drives, but I have red a lot here about little reliability problems and I'm a little bit concerned about the reliability of the little monster.

Test drove one, and was surprised by how fun it was for a FWD nose heavy.

We have winter here and lot of snow and not sure how the car will handle in snow with such a short wheelbase with winter tires (mandatory here anyway)..

Also, I know people are happy with their 500s, but do not want to end up in the same situation as I am right now with the FR-S..

Not wanting to hrm anyone here. just a little worried...

Thanks t al.

Red Dwarf
05-05-2013, 11:21 AM
I'm not sure I understand what car you have now. Is that a Scion? Whatever it is I'm surprised you have had so many problems. That does not sound good at all.

I have a 2012 Fiat 500 Sport. It is great fun to drive. The Abarth model is even more fun! I've only had mine for 6 months so it would not be fair to rate reliability. I've had no issues with it but then I best not after only 6 months and 4K miles!

2Cool
05-05-2013, 02:17 PM
FWD with snow tires is pretty amazing in the winter. So that shouldnt be an issue.

Handling of course is totally different. I looked at the FRS when I was shopping this car, along with the Miata. All were fun, all in different ways. FRS had classic RWD feel, albeit underpowered. The FRS seats are better for hard cornering, though the Abarth ones suit me better for daily use and trips. Hatchback in the Abarth allows for more stowage room, likely you will never have the rear seats upright unless there are small children you dislike whom you want to put into the rear.

I think the aftermarket is stronger for the Scion/Subaru twins, but you also see far more of those on the road now than Abarths. A Mustang has a huge aftermarket, but they are as common as bellybuttons, so who wants one?

Look around, drive more, make sure you won't miss your FRS and come to resent the little growly Italian that took her place. It is all up to what you want.

13VaAbarth
05-05-2013, 04:20 PM
Well I did look at the Subaru/scion twins when shopping this car and for me I love tq. and that intial get up and move off the line feeling and with the Frs didn't have much Tq down low in the rev range so that was a bit dissapponting for me, but I did love the seats more than the abarth cause I like seats to hug me lol. But since I am a car enthusiast I heard about the lil problems on the twins as well and decide the abarth was more the car for me.

Mr. Man
05-05-2013, 04:31 PM
I looked at the frs too before buying my abarth. But the engine issues kept me from buying it. And that torque dip.... as if it wasn't torqueless enough already lol

shagghie
05-06-2013, 01:59 AM
We beat both FR-S/BRz's today in yhe Abarth at the auto-X... and an STI too.
rear sway bar, coilovers, and ATM HCI is all thats needed to be in the money...

BigDaddySRT
05-06-2013, 11:18 AM
Good morning.
I'm from Mtl, Quebec and considering getting an Abarth 2012 Mopar Edition.

What is an "Abarth 2012 Mopar Edition"???
:feedback:

(I'd love to know what Dealers are doing to move the leftover/used 2012 ABARTHs.)

guygeo
05-06-2013, 11:53 AM
There u go:

Abarth Special Edition. It has the Mopar Special Edition package......CF mirror covers, CF rear spoiler, blacked out headlights and taillights and graphics, plus black roof.

http://www.fiat500usaforum.com/showthread.php?6480-Abarth-Special-Edition-in-Canada

Abarth Phreak
05-06-2013, 12:10 PM
There u go:

Abarth Special Edition. It has the Mopar Special Edition package......CF mirror covers, CF rear spoiler, blacked out headlights and taillights and graphics, plus black roof.

http://www.fiat500usaforum.com/showthread.php?6480-Abarth-Special-Edition-in-Canada

Ahhhh...okay. Nice set-up, looks good. Can you share the extra cost they charge for this edition?

Mr. Man
05-06-2013, 01:51 PM
You know, I find it shocking that the OP is considering an Abarth. I'm a member on FT86club and they despise the Abarth. Most of them swear the frs is automotive nirvana and everything else is garbage yet they refuse to compare the car to anything except its own variants. guygeo has earned my respect :rockon:

shagghie
05-06-2013, 02:08 PM
You know, I find it shocking that the OP is considering an Abarth. I'm a member on FT86club and they despise the Abarth. Most of them swear the frs is automotive nirvana and everything else is garbage yet they refuse to compare the car to anything except its own variants. guygeo has earned my respect :rockon:

One of the FR-S owners at the track yesterday was caught walking around our cars (mine and DeeFourTay's). We asked him about his FR-S and he had been on the fence between that and the Abarth. He actually knew a lot about the Abarth and its heritage, etc. so you could tell he did his research. You could also tell that he had some misgivings about getting the FR-S after seeing our cars tear it up out there (I beat both the FR-S and the BRZ handily by several seconds). Even though DeeFourTay and I tried as hard as we could to re-assure him that his car was better balanced and that he had made a great choice and couldn't go wrong with the FR-S, you could just see the lament all over his face. His car had less than 200 miles on it and he was already regretting the decision. :-(
What I think a lot of drivers forget when buying a car in this class, is the FUN factor, and how much the Abarth eggs you on to push harder and attack the track, especially the slaloms.

guygeo
05-06-2013, 02:20 PM
Diferent car, and diferent needs.

I'm a car fanatic, so everyone has the right to be a fan of the brand he owns, but I had so many cars in my life (37 since 1985), that I'll learned how to treat the cars depending on what you need.

Ryephile
05-06-2013, 04:49 PM
That's a lot of cars over the years. Serious bummer that your FR-S is being a hunk of junk. It seems they're proving to be either good-to-go or relative POS's in terms of reliability.

I actually had a BRZ on order, but passed on it after test driving it. I still appreciate the car and hang out on the FT86club forum, but as it stood off the showroom floor I didn't get a warm tingle like I do with the Abarth. Yes, they're totally different cars. I do feel the car is a great platform to mod the crap out of it to make it something the factory was too afraid to do, but I didn't want that for my DD, and the Abarth only needs a couple things to be amazing and still enjoyable.

shagghie
05-06-2013, 04:52 PM
That's a lot of cars over the years. Serious bummer that your FR-S is being a hunk of junk. It seems they're proving to be either good-to-go or relative POS's in terms of reliability.

I actually had a BRZ on order, but passed on it after test driving it. I still appreciate the car and hang out on the FT86club forum, but as it stood off the showroom floor I didn't get a warm tingle like I do with the Abarth. Yes, they're totally different cars. I do feel the car is a great platform to mod the crap out of it to make it something the factory was too afraid to do, but I didn't want that for my DD, and the Abarth only needs a couple things to be amazing and still enjoyable.

BTW, the FR-S owner at the track yesterday was commenting that the engine isn't as easy to tune as it is in other applications because of something Toyota has subaru do to the ECU/fueling. NO idea what he was talking about, but he was sad to see that he couldn't get as much out of the FR-S engine as he had hoped by the time Toyota implemented more boost/enviro controls on it. Any insight into what he was on about?

Ryephile
05-06-2013, 05:14 PM
BTW, the FR-S owner at the track yesterday was commenting that the engine isn't as easy to tune as it is in other applications because of something Toyota has subaru do to the ECU/fueling. NO idea what he was talking about, but he was sad to see that he couldn't get as much out of the FR-S engine as he had hoped by the time Toyota implemented more boost/enviro controls on it. Any insight into what he was on about?

Likely the D4-S system that uses both port and direct injection. Most tuners are confused as to why they need both, despite their application and implementation being specifically called out in the engine's technical documentation. That said, there are at least a couple ECU tuners that have a reasonable handle on the situation, so there's no reason for an end-user to think the system is entirely difficult. There are 86 twins already pushing 700wHP, so saying you can't get that much out of the engine is more of a function of money than knowledge even this early in the cars development.

The FR-S/BRZ are great cars if you love to tinker and you have a $20k mod budget floating around just for fun. IMO there are better value-to-performance propositions with fewer reliability question marks, and of course plenty of fun car options too. It all comes down to if you're loyal to a specific following or just want a fun car for yourself.

shagghie
05-06-2013, 05:20 PM
Likely the D4-S system that uses both port and direct injection. Most tuners are confused as to why they need both, despite their application and implementation being specifically called out in the engine's technical documentation. That said, there are at least a couple ECU tuners that have a reasonable handle on the situation, so there's no reason for an end-user to think the system is entirely difficult. There are 86 twins already pushing 700wHP, so saying you can't get that much out of the engine is more of a function of money than knowledge even this early in the cars development.

The FR-S/BRZ are great cars if you love to tinker and you have a $20k mod budget floating around just for fun. IMO there are better value-to-performance propositions with fewer reliability question marks, and of course plenty of fun car options too. It all comes down to if you're loyal to a specific following or just want a fun car for yourself.

Figured you'd know exactly what he was on about... and if I see him next event, I'll be sure to tell him to keep his chin up and do more research... thanks!
My God I wish I had $20k for the Abarth...

Deefourtay
05-06-2013, 05:46 PM
That FR-S guy was a pretty cool dude.. I can tell he really wanted to have an Abarth as well

Btw Shagghie..! If you saw at the end of the event, he was holding his front Floor Mats in his hands.. So I asked him what's up with the Floor Mats? He said that he didn't want them to get caught under the pedal while he was racing, hmm is that still an issue with Toyotas where the Floor Mat gets caught under the pedal? :confused For those of you that don't know what I'm talking about, think back when that Toyota Vehicle got into a car accident on the freeway because the Floor Mat was getting wedged between the pedals. Big big lawsuit and bad rep for Toyota ever since that and the stuck open throttle body systems.

shagghie
05-06-2013, 05:52 PM
It's funny, I had one tech-inspection where the inspector made me remove my driver's floor mat. It's only happened one time. Even though our floor mats have pegs to hold them in place, I guess there is still a chance that the far side down by the pedals can get 'flipped up' over the pedals, but I just can't see it happening... I mean I drive like a dick, and I wear big old Nike's usually, so if it was gonna happen to anyone it would have been me!

Mr. Man
05-06-2013, 07:14 PM
Poor guy at the auto-x. For awhile I had wondered if I had made a mistake in buying the Abarth over the fr-s. At one point I was almost getting depressed over it (wasn't sure if it was what I really wanted and I'd be stuck with it) but I stopped going on ft86club and just kept hanging out here and that pretty much gave me assurance that I chose the right car. I stopped worrying and focused on enjoying my little pill on wheels. I'd rather buy a ragged on 240sx if I want to enjoy drifting and such

FootScoot
05-06-2013, 07:57 PM
I too looked at the FR-S. Nice car, but just not my cup of tea. I had wanted an Abarth for years and years, from the 60's on. When opportunity arose I took the plunge. Best move I ever made concerning a car.

djhace
05-06-2013, 08:53 PM
i also looked at scion Tc and FR-S. really didn't like the interior.
a co-worker added turbo to his FR-S. not sure what the cost was though.
also hate that 86 logo on the side.

BRZ is made in the same factory as FR-S.

div2
05-07-2013, 12:50 AM

I was reading an article in a tuner magazine that stated that the FR-S/BRZ ECU is programmed to limit power increases to a maximum of 5%. In other words, if a CAI adds 5% and a CBE adds 5% the maximum power increase from both still only amounts to 5%. So a reflash is definitely a must- even for simple bolt-ons...

guygeo
05-08-2013, 08:24 AM
Looks like the Fiat wants to stay away from me:( I cannot get what I want at the dealer for my car, so I will live with the Scion for a little moment again...

Mr. Man
05-08-2013, 10:00 AM
Did you place an order? Might as well do that while you wait for one to show up

Mr. Man
05-08-2013, 11:02 AM
Have you tried placing an order for one? Might as well since you're waiting

guygeo
05-08-2013, 12:00 PM
No order. The car was at the dealer, os it was sold to another client.

shagghie
05-08-2013, 12:09 PM
No order. The car was at the dealer, os it was sold to another client.
I live in San Diego, but we got ours from Northside Fiat in Houston /Woodlands area. Give 'em a call!

b56.1m6
05-08-2013, 01:06 PM
I liked the look of the FRS/BRZ twins but the exhaust sounded like an Imprezza and the Prius tires on those ugly wheels didn't help either. These cars just don't have the sound, attitude or soul the Abarth's come with stock!

guygeo
05-08-2013, 01:08 PM
Shaggie, I live in Montreal Canada.

BigDaddySRT
05-08-2013, 01:17 PM
I liked the look of the FRS/BRZ twins but the exhaust sounded like an Imprezza and the Prius tires on those ugly wheels didn't help either. These cars just don't have the sound, attitude or soul the Abarth's come with stock!

They come with a 2.0-liter DOHC Aluminum-Alloy 16-Valve Horizontally Opposed SUBARU BOXER Motor.

Hence the "Imprezza" Sounds.

Mr. Man
05-08-2013, 01:26 PM
I kinda like the exhaust note with UEL headers but I read they're not good for a turbo if you go that route, which I would

Mini Cord
05-08-2013, 04:53 PM
Guygeo,

If you don;t mind the drive, I bought mine from Kawartha Chrysler in Peterborough, had an excellent customer service. They had 2 Abarths well equipped in stock,a grey one and a Red one. I live in Gatineau and decided to get the car there.

Ask for Tung (Tom).

b56.1m6
05-08-2013, 05:05 PM
They come with a 2.0-liter DOHC Aluminum-Alloy 16-Valve Horizontally Opposed SUBARU BOXER Motor.

Hence the "Imprezza" Sounds.
Exactly! Looks like a sporty fastback but sounds like a four door sedan. I knew what motor they came with I just expected a better sounding exhaust note. The WRX is a 2.0 turbo boxer and they sound better. I just expected more from a Toyota-Subaru colaboration.

guygeo
05-08-2013, 07:21 PM
Guygeo,

If you don;t mind the drive, I bought mine from Kawartha Chrysler in Peterborough, had an excellent customer service. They had 2 Abarths well equipped in stock,a grey one and a Red one. I live in Gatineau and decided to get the car there.

Ask for Tung (Tom).
Problem, no dealer want to give me an acceptable quote for my car, my loss is too great,, that sucks big time...even if I drive there, it will be impossible to get rid of my FR-S, leased as it is in Qc.

Mini Cord
05-08-2013, 07:59 PM
Private message sent.

Abarth6633
05-09-2013, 02:32 AM
I have a 2012 Fiat 500 Abarth, and my Brother has a 2013 Scion FRS. We switch cars every once in a while, they are complete opposite cars. ones FWD, Turbo'd, the other is RWD, Naturally Aspirated. Both are an absolute thrill. He hasn't had any problems with it, your situation might have been just bad luck, though i know his does have that fuel pump chirp, but Ive heard getting that replaced would only fix it for about 300 miles then usually it then comes back. the two are very fun cars, the abarth does feel faster but thats because it has more tq. i don't think you could go wrong with your decision of either keeping the FRS(even though you've had problems) or getting an Abarth. Good Luck

guygeo
05-12-2013, 08:39 PM
I've checked with your dealer, but it is a 5 hr drive and it was looking rather complicated with my leased car here inQc....
Still waiting for a decent price on my Subayota....

Abarthman
05-13-2013, 12:27 PM
Had my Abarth for almost 1 year - 27,000 miles of HEAVEN.
Absolutely reliability, and I drive the H*** out of it.
MM box, Eibach springs, RRM rear bar, CAI, and much better BFG Comp 2 tires. You will absolutely LOVE it!
AND you will easily outrun the FS-S.
And it sounds INCREDIBLE, as any good Italian car should.

It's a no brainer if there ever was one.

erland
05-13-2013, 04:21 PM
The Abarth with very few mods will easily out perform the Toyobaru, plus get better fuel economy and I find it to be more comfortable. It's also less money and I think it looks better. This just seems like an easy descision to me, but those on the Toyobaru forums probably disagree.

Mr. Man
05-14-2013, 09:55 AM
They swear the fr-s is the greatest thing since sliced bread. I still want one, but that rear end makes me cringe. And it needs a better engine. Then ill make the plunge

Scorponix
05-14-2013, 10:23 AM
The Toyotabaru is an awesome looking car, but for me that's all it is..awesome looking. Sure it handles great, but performance wise this car isn't all that fast. N/A cars if you are going to mod them tend to be less "accepting" when it comes to the amount of power received from the mods. Cars that are not N/A such as the Abarth are a tad more "accepting" with the added mods since more power is received. This is due to the vehicle not being N/A. IMO the Toyotabaru would be an awesome choice if it did come with a turbo option. It is a pain in the ass and $$$ if you want to add an aftermarket turbo or s/c since so much needs to be modified.

If I were you I'd wait and find the Abarth that you really really want. The good things in life, I mean the things that we really want are usually not easy to acquire. But once you receive it, it makes that challenge worth facing.

Ryephile
05-14-2013, 11:21 AM
Let's keep it in perspective. If you're going to mod both cars and want a track rat, the 86 Twins are a better option. ECU tuning readily available, boosted options out the wazoo, and already tons of suspension choices. Add to that the car easiliy accepts big sticky tires, has a legit low CG, and the 86 will always be a better track car than pretty much anything else within many grand of its $25k MSRP. That said, for about $25k, there are better platforms to start your track-day car than the Twins, but none of those options will be a new car.

The Abarth is crazy fun on the street, but it has lower limits on the track, no matter how much money and wisdom you can throw at development. Tall, narrow, high CG, modest suspension, and limited tire-stuffing ability hinders its ultimate capability. As long as we accept that, it's all good.

Stock for stock, I obviously chose the Abarth. If the 86 Twins had 50 more LbFt out of the box and weren't having all sorts of reliability and assembly problems, I probably would've gone that direction.

guygeo
05-14-2013, 12:39 PM
What about Highway travelling and long distance???
It is sooooo small:)

shagghie
05-14-2013, 01:01 PM

OK, no joke...first week I had mine, I took my wife, and 3 Swedish girls (in the back seat!) from SD all the way to Las Vegas (5 hour one-way trip). We did 99mph on cruise control the entire way... bumped massive techno/trance, and we all stayed cool in the AC. The back did get a little tight in the middle seat, so we rotated the blondes in the back every time we got gas or ice cream along the way. My wife stayed up front (which is proper). Was all I could do not to adjust the RVM a nudge. Anyway, we all had a blast, the swedes were happy, and at the end of the day, as long as you are not really really tall or wearing a helmet for an auto-x ride along in the back...there's plenty of room. As for the front.. mASSIVE room! had a buy at tacos and tuners meet last month that was 6'9" sit in it!... all he had to do was lower seat down, and he had plenty of space over his head!

DuckDodgers
05-14-2013, 11:02 PM
I looked at the FR-S...I sat in the drivers seat, asjusted it for me, bumped my head getting out, and looked at the rear legroo that resulted. The answer, none....no sale.

Andree
05-15-2013, 05:23 AM

You might want to sit down and have a discussion with yourself over what it is you NEED in a car.

Wants are so easy, they flutter into the mind, without being stationary, and you'll never FIND that car. Whether it's front or rear wheel drive, or what color it is, you do eventually have to choose.

This. Or that.

Do you make long highway trips? How often? With how many people? With how much baggage? In the past year, how many trips have you taken?

It's easy to start filtering through options, like you don't need off-road capabilities. And you don't need to tow a fifth-wheeler or a cigarette boat. And you won't even attempt to use the Abarth convertible as a "work truck" with lumber sticking out the back.

You know where you go and what you do. Nobody else here can really advise you on that part. That's why you have to do it, rationally, with yourself. Heh.

If you know you always go on vacations with four tallish people and big resort luggage, well, this might not be the car for you. And no, don't try the five people idea, not legal in my area for sure.

It's called by most a "city car" and that's what it's ideal for. Zipping around town or between cities with a few people and generally no big cargo. Commute, do errands, go to events, and sometimes participate in those events. The Abarth with the more powerful engine doesn't make it less of a city car, and it will never morph into a minivan with room for seven. Be clear on the KIND of car you are looking for.

Consider renting one for the weekend. Not to tear up the car, but just to see how it handles during daily usage, if you need a car for daily usage.

As you recently changed cars, it seems like you might not have known what you wanted. Don't buy anyone's hype, if it isn't the car for you and your needs. Unless those people are willing to buy the car for you. Because at the end of the day, the car you're driving has to work for you.

For me, the Fiat Lounge model is ideal. I don't take long trips and I don't pack people or luggage in the car. Just some groceries. It drives great, parks nicely, and has many features I love. For instance, today the back-up sensor beeper saved me from hitting a pole in my blind spot. They can put all the reflective tape on the pole that they want, but if it's not see-able, it's going to be hit. Not by me though. Not with my trusty back-up sensors.

And yes, that was one of the "musts" for me. I have hospital appointments in tight parking garages, that my Honda Fit was just too big to deal with. I saw my first Fiat 500 on the way to one of those appointments, and thought THAT IS THE CAR FOR ME. Just from the size. The more I learned about the car, the more I realized how much better it could make my life. And it has.

The ease of entry and exit. Oh, not perfect, thanks to my aching back, but about as close as I'll get. The heated seats are therapy for my back. Helps relax the tension, which lessens the pain. All the parts are in the right place. Like the shifter (I have an automatic) is exactly where it should be for me at my size. The headrest is useable (the Pop Lounge round one) and doesn't angle my neck down towards my feet (which was a safety hazard in the Honda). The transmission is smooth, no jerking, which is great for me. The way the car feels wrapped around me and as a mechanical part of my self, not like some separate entity that I am riding in.

With the back problems, the Honda Fit was like a floaty boaty jerky torture chamber, especially the seats. I tried all kinds of pillows/wedges/cushions to try to make it remotely comfy, but never could. The back of the seat stuck out right into the most painful area of my back. So no matter how good that car is for lots of other people, it was NOT the car for me, as my back got worse and worse.

Those are the kinds of things you have to think about for yourself. No matter how good a car may appear, it may not be the car for you. Take the time to look at several vehicles, there's no rush because you have a car as basic transport now. And yes, we all have a dream sequence of how much our current car will get at the dealer, but it's never that much.

Don't over estimate your needs. Otherwise we'd all buy semi-trucks with trailers just in case someday we have a lot of stuff to move. Most folks realize this and rent a moving van or professional mover as needed. Don't buy something you don't need "just in case".

guygeo
05-15-2013, 08:26 AM
Problem is I like the FR-S but had too many issues already...
And not being able to get a fair amount of money in the trade... Will continue to monitor the situation.. or might go back to a WRX....

trevc
05-15-2013, 08:58 AM
I wish I could have been there for that!

OK, no joke...first week I had mine, I took my wife, and 3 Swedish girls (in the back seat!) from SD all the way to Las Vegas (5 hour one-way trip). We did 99mph on cruise control the entire way... bumped massive techno/trance, and we all stayed cool in the AC. The back did get a little tight in the middle seat, so we rotated the blondes in the back every time we got gas or ice cream along the way. My wife stayed up front (which is proper). Was all I could do not to adjust the RVM a nudge. Anyway, we all had a blast, the swedes were happy, and at the end of the day, as long as you are not really really tall or wearing a helmet for an auto-x ride along in the back...there's plenty of room. As for the front.. mASSIVE room! had a buy at tacos and tuners meet last month that was 6'9" sit in it!... all he had to do was lower seat down, and he had plenty of space over his head!

Scorponix
05-15-2013, 11:09 AM

I've driven this thing across 3 states already and it was super fun! The gas was great too, was getting 28-30mpg, the only bad thing is the tank is only 10.5 gallons. Overall though the ride is nice. I even had to back up while at a toll since the change machine thing broke, the car responded super too! I was able to back up then go forward, pay the toll and be off in a matter of minutes. The Abarth is super fast with the right mods and driver. In September I'm going to be driving the Abarth from Chicago to San Diego which is over 2k miles. We'll see how this goes, but it should be a similar experience.

Also I looked up how much a turbo would cost for the toyotabaru, seriously? http://www.frsmod.com/products/full-blown-turbo-kit-for-frs-brz You might as well get an Abarth if you want a turbo! At least the Abarth has awesome scorpions on it. I am not gonna lie though, once the Turbo version of this vehicle comes out I might be tempted to cross over. The only thing that would stop me is the fact that our cars have scorpions on it and I love scorpions. :P

shagghie
05-15-2013, 12:01 PM
I've driven this thing across 3 states already and it was super fun! The gas was great too, was getting 28-30mpg, the only bad thing is the tank is only 10.5 gallons. Overall though the ride is nice. I even had to back up while at a toll since the change machine thing broke, the car responded super too! I was able to back up then go forward, pay the toll and be off in a matter of minutes. The Abarth is super fast with the right mods and driver. In September I'm going to be driving the Abarth from Chicago to San Diego which is over 2k miles. We'll see how this goes, but it should be a similar experience.

Also I looked up how much a turbo would cost for the toyotabaru, seriously? http://www.frsmod.com/products/full-blown-turbo-kit-for-frs-brz You might as well get an Abarth if you want a turbo! At least the Abarth has awesome scorpions on it. I am not gonna lie though, once the Turbo version of this vehicle comes out I might be tempted to cross over. The only thing that would stop me is the fact that our cars have scorpions on it and I love scorpions. :P

Well if you'd be willing to cross over over a silly turbo, then I would highly recommend contacting ATM first. The only thing better than ONE turbo is.... _____ ______ ________ !

Scorponix
05-15-2013, 12:26 PM
LOL! Well I just like the look of it and the potential the car has. I was read that some guy did a 6278 on a frs! Crazy huh? I doubt it looks like that though :P The car has a ton of potential, but the way it is now, well I'd choose an Abarth over it any day. Plus it's NEVER good to buy a car on its first year run. *cough* exhaust on 2012 Abarth *cough*

Deefourtay
05-15-2013, 02:05 PM
I drove both the FR-S & Abarth. During my comparison, the backseat of the FR-S was terrible like being stuffed inside of a mid-engined car's engine bay.. Haha, I wanted to get the F**K out in less than 30 mins since I had to sit sideways to fit. My GF and I sat in the back of the Abarth while my friends were driving & we were actually quite surprised on how much room is back there! We didn't feel uncomfortable at all being at the passengers point of view.