PDA

View Full Version : Issue plagued Abarth , and now Sport sold. Thank goodness

CarlosOne
05-05-2013, 08:46 AM
At the end of 2012 I sold my Abarth because it was just becoming ridiculous how many issues it had. Now, my wifes Sport has been sold as well. I really loved the idea of owning these fun, heritage filled cars but the lack of engineering prowess or manufacturer neglect trumps all.

2Cool
05-05-2013, 10:11 AM
Pretty sure you had made your point regards your issues with your Abarth back in August when you sold it. Coming back here to vent on a non-Abarth seems spiteful at best. Appreciate you had issues, but the majority of us have not and are pretty happy.

Your veracity is in doubt when you mention how the only car you had with more problems in the past was a VW, then you sell the Abarth to return to... a VW. You are not a good spokesperson to convice people to kick their Fiat addiction.

Good luck in the future, likely you will really need it with your current car.

FTY
05-05-2013, 11:26 AM
If you want very few issues with a car buy a corolla or civic and Enjoy your appliance. Going from FIAT to VW you will be in the same boat with minor quirks and maintanance. Im sorry you had bad luck your FIATs but you are the minority as many of us daily drive our FIATs with very little issues, let alone maintnance. I couldnt be more happy with my Abarth, it got me home and to work in the NE's heaviest winter in recorded history, not once but 3 round trips, it gets me to work with minor maintnance and puts smile on my face whenever I drive it. Your attempts to dissuade people to buy FIATs will go in vain especially on a forum full of enthusiasts, in fact I think it will have the opposite effect.

FootScoot
05-05-2013, 12:00 PM
I too was a VW guy, but quickly learned it was a maintenance nightmare. Always some little thing wrong with it. I bought it used, actually traded my '92 Corvette coupe for it, of which I had absolutely no problems with, only to start fixing things every month or so. When it got to where the repairs were worth more than the car I got rid of it last Sept. and bought a 2009 Pontiac Vibe GT. Nice car but more than what I needed, but my wife liked it. When she passed away in March of this year I could hardly stand to drive it anymore, so April 1st I bought my Abarth, and couldn't be happier. I do have a minor issue with the rear wiper coming on with the front wipers when I haven't turned it on. That's what I have a 4 year warranty for.
Why would anyone that was unhappy with their cars and have gotten rid of them come back in here to complain. Not to be rude, just go on with your bad self.

500ways
05-05-2013, 12:49 PM
There is an agenda here. Just carry on.

CarlosOne
05-05-2013, 01:04 PM
Pretty sure you had made your point regards your issues with your Abarth back in August when you sold it. Coming back here to vent on a non-Abarth seems spiteful at best. Appreciate you had issues, but the majority of us have not and are pretty happy.

Your veracity is in doubt when you mention how the only car you had with more problems in the past was a VW, then you sell the Abarth to return to... a VW. You are not a good spokesperson to convice people to kick their Fiat addiction.

Good luck in the future, likely you will really need it with your current car.

Um.... I also pointed out that I am a vw tech and other than fuel rail issues, the TDI is mechanically rock solid. No transmission leaks, body weld issues, leaking axles, electrical issues or suspension clunks. As for appliance and agenda? Please guys, grow up. Your prejudicial self shines through as you look down upon those who drive something different than you. Funny how I am the only one with issues until the plethora of different issues are shared on the 'issues' section. Good luck gentlemen.

CarlosOne
05-05-2013, 01:10 PM
I too was a VW guy, but quickly learned it was a maintenance nightmare. Always some little thing wrong with it. I bought it used, actually traded my '92 Corvette coupe for it, of which I had absolutely no problems with, only to start fixing things every month or so. When it got to where the repairs were worth more than the car I got rid of it last Sept. and bought a 2009 Pontiac Vibe GT. Nice car but more than what I needed, but my wife liked it. When she passed away in March of this year I could hardly stand to drive it anymore, so April 1st I bought my Abarth, and couldn't be happier. I do have a minor issue with the rear wiper coming on with the front wipers when I haven't turned it on. That's what I have a 4 year warranty for.
Why would anyone that was unhappy with their cars and have gotten rid of them come back in here to complain. Not to be rude, just go on with your bad self.

I can appreciate your VW experience having owned GTI and Corrado's myself. This is why i bought the TDI. The reason I posted was because my wife sold her 500 Sport yesterday and I absolutely am venting. Hands down, the Fiat experience has been the worst automotive nightmare I have ever had. Sorry, but this is the truth for both cars.

CarlosOne
05-05-2013, 01:16 PM

FootScoot... I also would like to express my condolences concerning your wife. God Bless sir.

William M Jacocks Jr
05-05-2013, 03:08 PM
I do have a minor issue with the rear wiper coming on with the front wipers when I haven't turned it on.

If your front wipers are on, and you shift into reverse the rear wipers come on automatically. Freaked me out a few times before I realized that.

Corrnaus
05-05-2013, 03:39 PM
If your front wipers are on, and you shift into reverse the rear wipers come on automatically. Freaked me out a few times before I realized that.

Yes sir.. This is a safety feature. If you front wipers are on it is most likely raining on the back window also so it makes sure you can see out the back while reversing

FootScoot
05-05-2013, 04:44 PM
Learn something new everyday. In the words of Johnny Carson,"I did not know that". I know now. Here I thought something was wrong electrically, duh. Boy do I feel crunchy. Slinks out of room.....

Dr. FIAT
05-05-2013, 10:48 PM
It's OK FootScoot- I just had this epiphany yesterday....I was looking for the damn switch to turn that sucker off.. LOL

My driveway is REALLY long, and it's been raining for 4 days straight. That rear wiper has been working overtime while I back out of this sucker...

Sorry about your experience Carlos- there are bad eggs in every carton- no issues with mine thus far!

Seafarer61
05-06-2013, 03:14 AM
I can never understand people who get out of a car and then log into that very forum to complain about it. That's like parking outside of your ex's house so you can stare into the living room.

shabba
05-06-2013, 09:39 AM
Um.... I also pointed out that I am a vw tech and other than fuel rail issues, the TDI is mechanically rock solid. No transmission leaks, body weld issues, leaking axles, electrical issues or suspension clunks. As for appliance and agenda? Please guys, grow up. Your prejudicial self shines through as you look down upon those who drive something different than you. Funny how I am the only one with issues until the plethora of different issues are shared on the 'issues' section. Good luck gentlemen.

You've been a member here going on a year and before this thread you started, you had 14 posts. 14. I understand your need to vent. On every automotive forum, there are always a few who experience major issues with said car. It's just a natural occurrence based on the law of odds (so many cars sold, certain percentage have issues). But when you get on with 14 posts in 10 months, barely more than one a month, you lose credibility and look like a troll. I've fed you...now please carry on.

erland
05-13-2013, 04:25 PM
My Abarth has been perfect, so has every other one I know of. I think this whiner is a troll possibly trying to stir is up, or possibly with more sinister intentions

Ryephile
05-13-2013, 04:37 PM
I can appreciate your VW experience having owned GTI and Corrado's myself. This is why i bought the TDI. The reason I posted was because my wife sold her 500 Sport yesterday and I absolutely am venting. Hands down, the Fiat experience has been the worst automotive nightmare I have ever had. Sorry, but this is the truth for both cars.

Very best of luck with your TDI, you'll need it.

I had to sell my Mk6 Golf TDI because at 30k miles the HPFP was starting to disintegrate and I observed aluminum shavings in my fuel filter. No thanks VW for not redesigning the HPFP to survive the USA's 530um scar score. Oh, and of course, the entire fuel system is explicitly excluded from the warranty. Figures. Of the 21 vehicles I've owned, the TDI is the 2nd one I got rid of for reliability reasons, the other being an E36 BMW.

Curiously, the current Passat TDI has the new redesigned/fixed HPFP, but VW has decided to keep the old self-destructing HPFP in the Golf and Jetta. I hope you didn't get one of those.

Deefourtay
05-13-2013, 06:00 PM
I agree, the Abarth isn't a perfect car.. But it is much better than a lot of other cars I've owned for sure! The Abarth is like the Ex-GF that you keep in your life because she's too damn hot to let go.. Ahaha :highly_amused:

Mr. Man
05-13-2013, 06:14 PM

:gtfo: :spam: :fart:

MAZ
05-15-2013, 09:09 AM
http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m4oed9b12X1r325xuo1_400.gif

Vaejovis carolinanus aka lowconabarth
05-15-2013, 10:09 AM
At the end of 2012 I sold my Abarth because it was just becoming ridiculous how many issues it had. Now, my wifes Sport has been sold as well. I really loved the idea of owning these fun, heritage filled cars but the lack of engineering prowess or manufacturer neglect trumps all.

Karma only a bitch if you are. Or maybe it is your carma.

Scorponix
05-15-2013, 12:41 PM
I don't like VW! I know a lot of people who've had a ton of issues with their Vdubs. I got rid of my R32 because of all the crap it gave me. The R32 MKV had that stupid DSG issue that took forever to get fixed thanks to VW realizing they had a recall on their hands. The fact that there were a few R32s that actually caught on fire should've threw up a red flag for them. It also made a loud sound much like how whales sound when they are having an orgasm whenever I went into reverse on an angle. Why it did this I have no idea. Of course the stealership couldn't reproduce this issue. Add the fact that the car contained a video game shifter and well that's why I traded it in. I did it for an Abarth and it was the best choice I made. Now I'm not about to rant about it on a VW forum six months later because it's not very logical.

sjmst
05-15-2013, 01:31 PM
Sorry you had problems with your FIATS. As someone else here said, every car forum, every one, has people saying they got a lemon. That said, the best source for info on reliability of cars is that gleaned from statistically significant polls. So far the new FIATS come out fine.

Plainsman
05-15-2013, 02:46 PM
Not at the table Carlos....

sjmst
05-18-2013, 10:59 AM
"...the FIAT 500s in TrueDelta’s survey remain nearly repair-free. "

"J.D. Power, on the other hand, not only gives the 500 two stars, but the FIAT brand (with the 500 its only model so far) tied smart for last:"

"How might this huge disparity be explained? I checked an active forum for the 500 to see if owners were reporting many problems. Active forums tend to make cars seem more troublesome than they actually are, as people with car problems tend to be vocal while those without them keep quiet."

"With J.D. Power’s survey, owners can report anything they don’t like about the car, even if they have no plans to have it fixed. Notably, none of these problems suggest that the 500 is a lemon that should be avoided."

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2012/06/truedelta-and-j-d-power-iqs-updates-how-bad-are-the-fiat-500-and-vw-passat/

Abarth Phreak
05-18-2013, 06:55 PM
My Fiat Abarth has a few MINOR issues...none of them decision regretting. ALL of my previous cars have had some minor issues. Only my very first car had a major issue requiring a new engine under warranty. My cars have included: Nissan, Honda, Dodge, Chevy, Acura, BMW, Fiat. I would bet I would have some minor issues with Ford, Audi, Porsche, Lexus, Mercedes, Kia, Toyota and Hyundai...etc. as friends I know with them have had issues.

BUT WHO REALLY CARES AND BUYS A CAR BECAUSE OF A SURVEY ANYWAY???

Berliner
05-18-2013, 07:14 PM
I have more trouble with the Girlfriend/ Wife than I had with my 500 C or now my Abarth. That Honey to do List is killing me!!!!!! I swear my G/F gives me more Head Aches than all our 3 Fiats combined.

Tweak
05-18-2013, 08:49 PM
I have more trouble with the Girlfriend/ Wife than I had with my 500 C or now my Abarth. That Honey to do List is killing me!!!!!! I swear my G/F gives me more Head Aches than all our 3 Fiats combined.

As long as you don't let the g/f know about the wife and vice versa it shouldn't be too bad...lol. :D

Leotxn
05-20-2013, 07:29 AM
Any car has small or large issues. My Abarth has had a couple small (very small) issues, which have been addressed. Side skirt issue being addressed by studio, skirts on order. Otherwise I love my Abarth and have almost 29k on it now. Good luck with your VW, sorry you had issues with your Fiat.

BTW ty for informing about the rear wiper thing, I never really knew why if wipers were on the rear would come on automatically in reverse, lol. Never really thought about it but now that i know, I think thats pretty cool. Fiat on... have fun... Drive the hell out of em! I know I love driving mine.

johniew398
06-01-2013, 10:45 PM
Sorry you had issues. I'm still waiting for all these issues. I have had my Abarth one year, drive it daily to work and yes, the rear windshield wiper dribbles a little; but, other than that, like I say, I am waiting on the issues.

CarlosOne
06-22-2013, 11:58 PM
Its so funny how we only cherry pick the survey we want to believe. Anyway, I only shared my experiences with a very poor unit. I shouldnt have posted so soon after my issues because my frustration was at its peak and was dispropotionate to the issues. This in no way is meant to let Fiat off the hook for the one i bought, but i dont think all Sport and Abarth are as poorly screwed together as the ones we owned. Good luck guys.

500ways
06-23-2013, 09:24 AM
Its so funny how we only cherry pick the survey we want to believe. Anyway, I only shared my experiences with a very poor unit. I shouldnt have posted so soon after my issues because my frustration was at its peak and was dispropotionate to the issues. This in no way is meant to let Fiat off the hook for the one i bought, but i dont think all Sport and Abarth are as poorly screwed together as the ones we owned. Good luck guys.

You still seem to be at peak frustration.

BigT
06-23-2013, 09:34 AM

Didn't you already ditch your fiats and go with a VW... Not sure if your aware but you typed fiat500usaforum instead of vwvortex.

CarlosOne
06-23-2013, 07:38 PM
Didn't you already ditch your fiats and go with a VW... Not sure if your aware but you typed fiat500usaforum instead of vwvortex.

Nope, no mistake here. I know where I am.

Felnus
06-23-2013, 07:46 PM
Vote #1 for locking the thread. Can I get a second? The OP's opinion has been duly noted and this had ran its course. I feel stupidity will begin to ensue shortly.

Small&Wicked2013
06-23-2013, 08:33 PM
#2^

CarlosOne
06-23-2013, 09:43 PM
#3, Fair enough

Tweak
06-23-2013, 09:44 PM
Vote #1 for locking the thread. Can I get a second? The OP's opinion has been duly noted and this had ran its course. I feel stupidity will begin to ensue shortly.

#2^

#3, Fair enough

Good enough for me seeing the frustrations of several members and requests to lock in this case a thread that seems to no longer add anything else, locking it down and if it needs to be discussed Chris can re-open or let me know of the need to open it and allow it to continue. Thanks.