PDA

View Full Version : wilwwod abarth brake kit . do not use

ozabarth
04-27-2013, 02:59 AM
Hi all
I am in Australia
I mad a cenere grey abarth
I added the wilwood brake kit . Went through a set of pads in one performance day ,so I upgraded to the track day pads .
They lasted 18 laps before wearing out an destroying the rotors .rotors where completely grooved out unusable
I got a bad luck from wilwood no help
Do Not Buy this kit
Will post pics soon
Any recommendations for a good brake kit

Cheers

Mr. Man
04-27-2013, 05:13 AM
Did you use blanks or slotted rotors? If you used the x-drilled/slotted ones then that may be why your pads got eaten alive

13VaAbarth
04-27-2013, 02:35 PM
did you bead in the brakes before trying to track them there is more to this story I believe.

ozabarth
04-27-2013, 06:54 PM
I have done enough race days to know how to bed the brakes in
and used many different pads and discs mate
trust me these absolutely destroyed discs and pads
did you bead in the brakes before trying to track them there is more to this story I believe.

ozabarth
04-27-2013, 06:56 PM
Did you use blanks or slotted rotors? If you used the x-drilled/slotted ones then that may be why your pads got eaten alive

Yeah slotted and cross driiled
Never seen brakes like this before
Have used slotted and x drilled before without problems

Abarth Phreak
04-27-2013, 09:22 PM
Hi all
I am in Australia
I mad a cenere grey abarth
I added the wilwood brake kit . Went through a set of pads in one performance day ,so I upgraded to the track day pads .
They lasted 18 laps before wearing out an destroying the rotors .rotors where completely grooved out unusable
I got a bad luck from wilwood no help
Do Not Buy this kit
Will post pics soon
Any recommendations for a good brake kit

Cheers

Wilwood is down the street from me...I have been sponsored by them on a previous car...know a couple guys that work there. While I do not doubt you have issues with your pads, the customer service part is throwing me off. Who did you get the kits from??? I am worrying right now that you got a batch of the Chinese knockoffs....that would suck!

ozabarth
04-29-2013, 06:45 AM
Wilwood is down the street from me...I have been sponsored by them on a previous car...know a couple guys that work there. While I do not doubt you have issues with your pads, the customer service part is throwing me off. Who did you get the kits from??? I am worrying right now that you got a batch of the Chinese knockoffs....that would suck!

Hi
I made some enquiries and they are genuine wilwoods
As a business owner here in Australia I can't understand their business methods
I should try the no support methods
To me they are a bunch of ________________
If you know someone there you can pass this on
Cheers

Ryephile
04-29-2013, 11:46 AM
What pads were you running? The BP-10's that come with the Wilwood kit for the Fiat 50 (http://www.wilwood.com/BrakeKits/BrakeKitSearch.aspx?year=2013&make=Fiat&model=500&option=All+(except+Abrath)&whl=16)0 are unacceptable for track use. You should be using something like a Wilwood "H", Carbotech XP12, Raybestos ST-43, or similar. Add to that SRP rotors are not a good option for track use. You should be running GT series (http://www.wilwood.com/Rotors/RotorProd.aspx?itemno=160-12291), or at least the HP series rotors.

Wilwood makes very good quality brakes; I've been using their parts for over a decade with excellent reliability and success. On top of that, their overall racing success in the USA is excellent. Sorry to hear you're having trouble but my hunch is the wrong pads and rotors are being used.

500MADNESS.com
04-29-2013, 01:05 PM
We have been selling and installing Wilwood Brakes in house and have had excellent Customer Service from them. We had an issue with paint finish on one of the calipers and they promptly took care of it.

Every time we have dealt with them they have jumped on the issue and promptly taken care of it. If for some reason you cannot get through your channel to Wilwood drop us a PM with your contact info and we will pass it on to our rep. He is usually on top of it and maybe he can offer you some assistance.

Ryephile
04-29-2013, 01:13 PM
....We had an issue with paint finish on one of the calipers and they promptly took care of it. ....

Just like any powder coat, they will discolor when exposed to very high heat like being driven on the track aggressively. The black turns grey and the red turns pink. Driven hard enough, they'll both turn brown. This isn't Wilwood specific; the Evo guys know that when they take their cars on the track their red Brembo's turn into the famously called "Brownbo's".

This is why truly track-specific calipers are hard anodized, but the grey/bronze finish isn't terribly appealing for most street-only enthusiasts. For most owners that keep their car on the street, the Red powder coat will remain color stable for a long time.

500MADNESS.com
04-29-2013, 01:31 PM
Just like any powder coat, they will discolor when exposed to very high heat like being driven on the track aggressively. The black turns grey and the red turns pink. Driven hard enough, they'll both turn brown. This isn't Wilwood specific; the Evo guys know that when they take their cars on the track their red Brembo's turn into the famously called "Brownbo's".

This is why truly track-specific calipers are hard anodized, but the grey/bronze finish isn't terribly appealing for most street-only enthusiasts. For most owners that keep their car on the street, the Red powder coat will remain color stable for a long time.

This was not the issue we had. We had one of the calipers were not cushioned in the box well enough when they got to us and when we opened them up for inspection prior to shipping we noticed a little paint chip on the caliper. We notified Wilwood and they promptly replaced it.