PDA

View Full Version : Injen CAI for the Fiat 500

SuperTony
04-23-2013, 08:39 AM
Looks like they are done (or almost done) developing the cold air intake for the ABARTH & 500T.

https://www.facebook.com/InjenTechnology?hc_location=stream

trevc
04-23-2013, 09:42 AM
Same position as RRM for the filter.....

Plainsman
04-23-2013, 10:04 AM
Interesting idea compared to others on the market. Basically taking the stock air path and opening it up. But, then trying to seal it against the hood? In reference to recent threads regarding the effectiveness of CAI's for the Abarth and T, I would make damn sure that Injen has testing to back up any claimed hp advantages before buying...My opinion, I don't see this set-up being much different than stock and underhood heat is still going to make its way into the intake. We've seen what a hp killer that heat can be.

SuperTony
04-23-2013, 10:14 AM
Yeah. I like they are using plastic to avoid heat soak on the incoming air path, as long as it does not melt/deform when utilized with other mods like an aftermarket ECU etc. I am very concerned about my under hood temperatures and I am exploring a hood scoop/vent option now. I think the engine compartment simply needs all the cool fresh outside air you can throw at it.

nojeebs
04-23-2013, 11:31 AM
Our bays are tight so seeing similar designs to keep it at a certain price range is going to be the norm. Maybe have that pipe ceramic coated and we'll be in business...but it does look shiny. :-p

2Cool
04-23-2013, 11:32 AM
Injen was the first to come out with an intake for my '13 3.8L Genesis Coupe. Very high quality, bolted in perfectly and looked almost factory.

They also dyno test all of their products and post reasonable numbers. Of course you take it with a grain of salt, since they are pimping their own product, but normally people do see similar gains in independent testing.

I do worry about any plastic parts near that turbo. I had a DIY heatshield I made of 1/4" ABS plastic by the battery, it slowly was deforming over a two week period to where I replaced it with aluminum sheet.

Now I am back to the stock intake with a bit of tweaking internally, removing the prefilter, trimming any parts I see as airflow inhibiting or solely present for noise cancellation.

shagghie
04-23-2013, 11:36 AM
IMO, with the amount of design and engineering they put into this (obviously a lot), I am left wondering: "Why put the filter in the back of the engine bay when you can just put it on the other side of the Cowl and have all the cold, high-pressure air you want?". Seems like an enormous amount of trouble they've gone through trying to accomplish what the cowl already does in the first place. I'm sure their design will also include a hood intake port as well if they want to have enough air mass pointed at that filter element. All that work, and they could have just added a $30 OEM cowl and put the filter well out of harm's way from all the heat. They're also loosing a lot of space around the engine for free air-flow by cramming the filter under the hood and devising the plastic heat shield and air routing piece.
Now, alllll of that said.... once this is combined with a hood scoop, I think it might end up the best under-the-hood solution, though a silicone hose would have been better than the metal one as far as heat transfer and heat soak goes.

Seafarer61
04-23-2013, 05:48 PM
IMO, with the amount of design and engineering they put into this (obviously a lot), I am left wondering: "Why put the filter in the back of the engine bay when you can just put it on the other side of the Cowl and have all the cold, high-pressure air you want?"

There is a reason you're seeing month-old ATM intakes for sale in the classified section. The very upside of its filter positioning is what creates its downside. The perfect example of cause and effect. The intake honk is funneled directly into the passenger compartment. For many, having to turn your radio volume up to 25-30 to hear it over your intake is unacceptable. Injen (I've owned several) have to sort out these compromises and they probably came to the conclusion that the filter's adjacent location to the vent would make for noise, intolerable for the average owner. Performance-wise, I think there is little doubt, the ATM is the way to go but that performance does not come without its own inherent issues, which to their credit, ATM are attempting to address.

mkawa
04-23-2013, 05:50 PM
yes, injen is all about volume. on the upside, they move enough intakes that they will probably get this carb EO'd when the time comes and we have to start smogging our cars.

also, i drove a stripped out rsx-s on re11s with no sound deadening for a year. just try me HCI ;)

deathshead
04-23-2013, 06:17 PM
There is a reason you're seeing month-old ATM intakes for sale in the classified section. The very upside of its filter positioning is what creates its downside. The perfect example of cause and effect. The intake honk is funneled directly into the passenger compartment. For many, having to turn your radio volume up to 25-30 to hear it over your intake is unacceptable. Injen (I've owned several) have to sort out these compromises and they probably came to the conclusion that the filter's adjacent location to the vent would make for noise, intolerable for the average owner. Performance-wise, I think there is little doubt, the ATM is the way to go but that performance does not come without its own inherent issues, which to their credit, ATM are attempting to address.

Sound is a non issue with ATM intake for me.

Seafarer61
04-23-2013, 08:23 PM

Indeed. For many, sound is a non-issue. For others, it is. For me, I'm sort of in-between. I'm at that age where a bit of growl is desired but not if it drowns out this glorious exhaust note. When the balance becomes skewed and I'm hearing more intake honk than exhaust note, I'm not in.

I guess RRM should be flattered at being copied.

They weren't the first to put the filter there.

mkawa
04-23-2013, 08:33 PM
there are only so many options for where to put the air intake filter on a short ram intake in any given engine, and length must be tuned to avoid resonant peaks etc. so it's not really that surprising that two designs would look similar.

BigDaddySRT
04-23-2013, 08:38 PM
OMG... The nut hugging on this Forum is really getting out of hand.

Props to Injen for coming out with another option for an ABARTH Intake.

trevc
04-24-2013, 10:02 AM
But you are selling it anyway :clap: