PDA

View Full Version : Hesitation after cold start

Scootin159
04-22-2013, 12:14 PM
I've been getting some really odd hesitation immediately after a cold start, and was wondering if it's an issue unique to me or a "just the way things are" type thing.

Specifically, what I'm noticing is that after a cold start (only happens if the car's been sitting for several hours), for the first few hundred feet of travel, there's VERY poor engine performance. It's almost the same effect you get if you were to drop the clutch at idle (that violent jerking motion, but not going anywhere). The odd part is... I'm normally around 1500-2000rpm when this happens. Also, if I give it WOT when that happens it will start to sound like a WRC car sitting on anti-lag.... but still doesn't go anywhere.

Then once I get to the end of the block, clutch in, raise revs to 2500 and pull away it's perfectly fine for the rest of the day.

Possibly unrelated info I'll post anyways:
Seems to be getting worse as time goes on, but it's happened as long as I've owned the car
It was 35* this morning when it was doing it. Didn't happen back in the < 20* winter weather, and even happens on warm days.
My driveway is a pretty steep incline (nose up)

SunRedRX7
04-22-2013, 12:36 PM
I get the exact same thing in my Abarth. The temperature here in Western NY has been in the 30s-40s the last few days, and the car just has a hesitation that disappears once I've driven it down the street. My thoughts been its just how the car is.

I can't wait till the car stops warning me of possible ice on road.

paook
04-22-2013, 02:23 PM
I experience this in my Abarth on colder mornings, too. Kinda 'non-acceleration' when pulling away from a stop. After a few hundred feet (two full stops and accelerations) it's gone. For me, giving a bit more throttle is enough to start the acceleration smoothly for the first bit.

And by acceleration, I mean simply 'get moving' and not 'fly like a bat out of hell'.

Deefourtay
04-22-2013, 02:35 PM
This is normal, when the weather is colder out..

I warm the car up & run without sport mode for a couple blocks taking it easy. When the car gets up to normal operating temps, I bust out the sport mode button and start giving it more gas coolgleam

dsmithpdx
04-22-2013, 05:42 PM
Mine does the same exact thing. Sounds like it's normal!

Scootin159
04-23-2013, 01:10 PM
Well glad to hear its not just me...

FootScoot
04-23-2013, 10:05 PM
Mine does it too. I normally let mine drop RPM after a cold start, then leave the driveway. It will kind of sputter for a few seconds with poor acceleration, then run normally. Couldn't be more than 20-30 seconds. I just assume this is normal now.

nerdvana
04-24-2013, 11:36 AM
I've been getting some really odd hesitation immediately after a cold start, and was wondering if it's an issue unique to me or a "just the way things are" type thing.

Specifically, what I'm noticing is that after a cold start (only happens if the car's been sitting for several hours), for the first few hundred feet of travel, there's VERY poor engine performance. It's almost the same effect you get if you were to drop the clutch at idle (that violent jerking motion, but not going anywhere). The odd part is... I'm normally around 1500-2000rpm when this happens. Also, if I give it WOT when that happens it will start to sound like a WRC car sitting on anti-lag.... but still doesn't go anywhere.

This does not sound like normal behavior to me. My 2013 has shown no sign of hesitation or jerking motion, even on cold days, though I let the car idle for 30 seconds or so before heading out.

Also, please do not go wide-open on a cold engine: this is likely to do more harm than good. :(

Tweak
04-24-2013, 08:03 PM
This does not sound like normal behavior to me. My 2013 has shown no sign of hesitation or jerking motion, even on cold days, though I let the car idle for 30 seconds or so before heading out.

Also, please do not go wide-open on a cold engine: this is likely to do more harm than good. :(

I agree, my 2013 is also not showing this type of behavior regardless of the current temp outside at the time or if the car is being started "cold". Certainly has never done so warm for what it's worth.

dsmithpdx
04-25-2013, 05:20 PM
If I let it idle for 30 seconds, it doesn't do it. If I immediately set off, then it sometimes does (especially when it's quite cold outside).

squeeze
04-25-2013, 08:42 PM
Yeah, I frequently get that hesitation too, but only in the morning when it's been sitting all night.

OhioMade
04-25-2013, 09:41 PM
I let it idle in the driveway for 30-60 seconds before driving off, and I don't hit the sport button for a couple of miles.

Tweak
04-25-2013, 10:28 PM
I let it idle in the driveway for 30-60 seconds before driving off, and I don't hit the sport button for a couple of miles.

I maybe let it idle for all of 15 seconds if that and I do not get or have never noticed this happen.

Dr. FIAT
04-25-2013, 11:17 PM
Could it be that the ECU is in "Closed Loop" mode until proper engine temps are reached? My SRT-4 was the same way- ran like crap while cold, but was fine once the engine came up to temp.

FootScoot
04-26-2013, 06:06 PM
I assumed this was normal as mine only has a little over 800 miles on it, kind of a computer learning curve maybe? If it keeps doing it I'll have it looked at. That's why we get a warranty.