PDA

View Full Version : New Rotors/Pads needed, any recommendations?

04-21-2013, 06:53 PM
As you'll see, although pic doesnt quite show how deep it is, I need front rotors and pads. Something got into the pad and gouged a groove that I can get my nails into! Makes a bad rotation noise now!

So any ideas on stock or aftermarket rotors and pads? FTYs gonna look into prices for me. I need road stuff, Ive always been happy with EBC stuff but theyve not got rotors yet just pads on their site.

mkawa
04-21-2013, 07:02 PM
EBC, Hawk and stoptech for pads. they should have something that fits out cars.

that groove doesn't look all that bad. have the rotor turned and you'll probably be rid of it and still be over the service limit. if you need to know what the server limit is, holler and i can attempt to search through the infernal internet-explorer-only-mess that they sent me as what i can only assume was a substitute for a proper service manual..

NOT THAT I'M BITTER (i'm bitter)

keep in mind that true track pads have to be warmed up in order for their coefficient of friction to be non-zero. by warmed up i mean "do a couple of 80-10 in 400ft before trying to come to a stop from 25mph"

redred
04-21-2013, 08:04 PM
I am really, really happy with the Tarox rotors and Road Race brake pad combination. Amazing stopping power and minimal dust.

http://i282.photobucket.com/albums/kk263/staceydodds/file_zpsa23e097c.jpg

mkawa
04-21-2013, 08:33 PM
"On front rotors, Minimum thickness specifications (2) are cast on the rotor's unmachined surface on the inside of the rotor (1). "

"On rear rotors, Minimum thickness specifications (3) are cast into the rotor's unmachined surface on the outside of the rotor (1). This area also shows the maximum thickness specifications (2) for the hat section of the rotor. "

i think you can use your imagine for the pictures. they look like they were drawn by a 5 year old using her imagination as it is.

13VaAbarth
04-21-2013, 11:03 PM
http://www.carid.com/2013-fiat-500-brakes/ebc-usr-series-slotted-brake-rotors-4258756.html this is a link the Ebc rotors for the abarth.

mkawa
04-21-2013, 11:18 PM
note that carid has brembo has a GT series BBK listed as in stock that doesn't exist on the brembo site either. i have some doubts about stock. i would grab a micrometer and a tire tread meter and make sure the rotors can't be turned first. in the unlikely chance they can't, i'd stick with OEM, the floating discs are lighter than aftermarket one-pieces will be and are plenty to stop the car.

in general, rotors and calipers are the last things you should touch in a brake system. pads and fluid first.

shagghie
04-21-2013, 11:21 PM
http://www.carid.com/2013-fiat-500-brakes/ebc-usr-series-slotted-brake-rotors-4258756.html this is a link the Ebc rotors for the abarth.

Hoping they come out with the UPR series for street/track, yellowstuff pads...

Mr. Man
04-22-2013, 12:47 AM
You need these:
http://sicom-brakes.com/html/fiat_500.html

shagghie
04-22-2013, 01:25 AM
You need these:
http://sicom-brakes.com/html/fiat_500.html

Those are only about 4lbs each per wheel. Have you known anyone that's run them on the street on a US 500 / Abarth? I know they are $3200, but the weight savings alone might be just INCREDIBLE in terms of handling, acceleration, breaking, and gas savings over the life of the car... Anyone know how much the stock rotors weigh on the Abarth?

-shag

Mr. Man
04-22-2013, 02:32 AM
I'm contemplating buying them one day. The price is actually very good for CCBs but I see they make a big rotor too, I wonder if they would be compatible with BBKs?

Abarth Five O
04-22-2013, 02:32 AM
Planning to upgrade my brakes with R/R pads, SS lines, and Tarox front and rear rotors as tested and proven by R/R without breaking the bank.

Mr. Man
04-22-2013, 02:38 AM
Planning to upgrade my brakes with R/R pads, SS lines, and Tarox front and rear rotors as tested and proven by R/R without breaking the bank.

SS lines are always a must. Why don't car companies use them? Seems kind of dumb not to on a sporty/sports car

redred
04-22-2013, 02:41 AM

You're gonna love that combo! It takes some getting used to though! It's amazing how much better the stopping power is.

Abarth Five O
04-22-2013, 02:55 AM
You're gonna love that combo! It takes some getting used to though! It's amazing how much better the stopping power is.

Yup, Rob told me that's the way to go.

BigDaddySRT
04-22-2013, 07:16 AM
SS lines are always a must. Why don't car companies use them? Seems kind of dumb not to on a sporty/sports car

The Majority of People are used to the "flex" in rubber brake lines. If you need to "smash" the brakes to the floor... rubber lines eat up some of the response, and aren't as "grabby" to people.

If that same person "smashes" the brakes with a set of steel braided lines, the transfer of power to the Caliper is going to lock the rotor down solid.

The Majority of People don't like that. It becomes a safety concern when you tell people they have to learn how the brakes work.

FTY
04-22-2013, 08:52 AM

This is your best bet...without going Wilwood. Thats a great setup.

04-22-2013, 08:55 AM
I'm not wanting to get the disc refaced so it's getting replaced. I'm happy with the brakes as they are on the Abarth so I don't see upgraded lines and calipers as worth the expense on a road car. The Tarox do seem the best available option for the car and the price isn't too bad. I emailled EBC to see if they have anything coming our way but right now the Tarox stuff is leading the way.

deathshead
04-22-2013, 11:28 AM
how bad do the Tarox pads dust?

redred
04-22-2013, 03:08 PM
how bad do the Tarox pads dust?

Can't speak to the Tarox pads myself. I went with their rotors, but with Road Race's brake pads. They have been pretty great so far.

mkawa
04-22-2013, 03:40 PM
I'm not wanting to get the disc refaced so it's getting replaced. I'm happy with the brakes as they are on the Abarth so I don't see upgraded lines and calipers as worth the expense on a road car. The Tarox do seem the best available option for the car and the price isn't too bad. I emailled EBC to see if they have anything coming our way but right now the Tarox stuff is leading the way. if the tarox are cheaper and lighter than OEM, i don't see why not. i would say calipers are definitely not necessary on our cars, and the oem discs or brembo floating blanks (if/when they come out..) would be ideal. if you track your car regularly, you will need track pads and fluid and to know what you are doing, but you should be fine given that. if you don't track your car, there is plenty of stopping power available from the OEM brake system. SS brake lines I might sneak in next time I change the fluid, but I can wait until stoptech releases their lines.

also, i don't think i need to tell you that steel brake lines from the factory would be a disaster in a cheap road car. in fact, we moved from hard lines to rubber lines specifically for safety reasons. brake fluid is hydrophilic and worse, brake lines are exposed to tons of environmental corrosives. ultra-stable rubber compounds, modern DOT brake fluid grades, etc. save lives.

04-24-2013, 07:49 AM
EBC will have their rotors available within the next four weeks. Ive used their stuff several times and really like them and prices are always good. Part numbers will be

Front- D1618, UPR414
Rear- D1569, UPR414

Mr. Man
04-24-2013, 08:35 AM
Good to know. I always hear good things about EBC

Corrnaus
04-24-2013, 08:57 AM
EBC will have their rotors available within the next four weeks. Ive used their stuff several times and really like them and prices are always good. Part numbers will be

Front- D1618, UPR414
Rear- D1569, UPR414

Will you be getting these directly from EBC? i see on their website their are a few places in the GTA that carry EBC rotors and pads

ENZOSON
04-24-2013, 09:36 AM
Any one tried these?

http://www.amazon.com/Performance-Emil4Dsp708-Drilled-Slotted-Rotors/dp/B00CF72LW6/ref=sr_1_14?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1366810314&sr=1-14&keywords=fiat+500+abarth

Pietro

04-24-2013, 03:03 PM
Will you be getting these directly from EBC? i see on their website their are a few places in the GTA that carry EBC rotors and pads

I get them from First Force as its right next to the airport where I work. Ive had them on last four cars and currently on our minivan. Pity the weight means shipping is so high so have to get them locally. The guy orders them, takes about a week then I swing by and pick them up and pay.

Corrnaus
04-24-2013, 10:48 PM
I get them from First Force as its right next to the airport where I work. Ive had them on last four cars and currently on our minivan. Pity the weight means shipping is so high so have to get them locally. The guy orders them, takes about a week then I swing by and pick them up and pay.

Nice that is the place I saw on the EBC website. Ill have to keep that in mind when its time for my brakes to be changed

shagghie
04-24-2013, 11:46 PM
http://www.comarsport.com/CM_Pagine/48C730BB0BEF40EDAA27D620629E5C84.asp

http://www.a-trucco.com/

http://sagittario-corse.jp/en/en_abarth_brakesystem.html

djhace
10-17-2013, 03:44 AM
i am thinking tarox "corsa" or brembo pads for front. (something better then stock would be great, but i don't need racing pad).

Yorkman1
10-18-2013, 12:19 AM
This isn't comparing apples to apples but I have EBC's on my s2000 and after 40k of hard miles they are still great. Rotors and green stuff pads. I will def be adding these to the abarth

shagghie
10-18-2013, 01:43 AM
Ferodo pads all the way....

pk9394
10-18-2013, 09:04 AM
what about R1 concept Premium series, i have that in my list once my rotor needs to be replace. anyone have that on?
http://www.r1concepts.com/Fiat-500-2012-parts.aspx

djhace
10-19-2013, 03:26 AM
the only one i know who changed the rotors, has tar•ox rotors. and really likes them. with RRM pads.

DarthBrodius
03-27-2019, 12:29 PM
Hey so My brakes started to squeak quite a bit and I really want to upgrade to pads and rotors that don't put out as much brake dust. I found some options in this thread, but most of the links are dead. Id appreciate any help!