PDA

View Full Version : Radio Head Unit Paint chipping

Mr. Man
04-21-2013, 04:54 AM
I've had this problem for awhile now. Two of the buttons started losing their paint, making it look like the radios found in chevys. :rofl: Is there a way to just order the two buttons by themselves (like with computer keyboard keys?)

Andree
04-21-2013, 07:09 AM
Yikes. I thought they were colored plastic and not painted. So that the only thing that might wear off over time would be the printed symbols.

One thing that might be worth asking: Do you use hand lotions, sanitizers, anything that might leave a residue on your hands?

There are a lot of things can happen, that are not supposed to happen. I'd gotten my plastic grocery bags with the store logo wet, rain will do that, and I set the bags on the counter. Didn't put everything away, just left the wet bags on the counter. Came back later to put the rest away, and the printing on the plastic bags had transferred from the bags to my painted countertop (thank the landlord).

I let the store know, because that could cause some major problems in all sorts of household areas, or even in the cars while transporting groceries home. It could have been just water. It could have been the water + dye + whatever cleaner I'd last used on the counter. The cleaners are supposed to remove STUFF, and dye on bags counts as "stuff".

Another time I had one of those plug in oil fragrance things near a painted folding table, and went to move the table and got my hand covered with paint. Oil + Paint = liquifying the paint. I think there are warnings now about not putting them near furniture, but not at the beginning.

You just don't know what will happen in all circumstances. The manufacturers can't go through every single known hand lotion, sanitizer, soap, chemical, etc to see if the paint will rub off. So even if you get new buttons, whatever is happening will continue to happen, unless something changes. It could be as odd as fabric softener residue on your hands after getting dressed. Or something you've put on your face or in your hair or on your body, and then you've touched that part and then touched the buttons.

Since you have to use your right hand for the radio, and most people are right-handed, that would be where most things would collect. Could be anything. Cleaners, solvents, after shave, elevator buttons (hey, they use cleaner on that stuff, it's kind of greasy polish).

You want to see if you can track down the source at your end before getting new buttons.

Tweak
04-21-2013, 09:48 AM
If you don't want it to happen again use the steering wheel controls. :)

Mr. Man
04-21-2013, 02:14 PM
If you don't want it to happen again use the steering wheel controls. :)

That's the only reason it hasn't gotten worse! Ha

Mr. Man
04-21-2013, 02:17 PM
Theres nothing i could think of that would leave residue on my hands. :dunno: But if i do replace them i just wont use them anymore
Yikes. I thought they were colored plastic and not painted. So that the only thing that might wear off over time would be the printed symbols.

One thing that might be worth asking: Do you use hand lotions, sanitizers, anything that might leave a residue on your hands?

There are a lot of things can happen, that are not supposed to happen. I'd gotten my plastic grocery bags with the store logo wet, rain will do that, and I set the bags on the counter. Didn't put everything away, just left the wet bags on the counter. Came back later to put the rest away, and the printing on the plastic bags had transferred from the bags to my painted countertop (thank the landlord).

I let the store know, because that could cause some major problems in all sorts of household areas, or even in the cars while transporting groceries home. It could have been just water. It could have been the water + dye + whatever cleaner I'd last used on the counter. The cleaners are supposed to remove STUFF, and dye on bags counts as "stuff".

Another time I had one of those plug in oil fragrance things near a painted folding table, and went to move the table and got my hand covered with paint. Oil + Paint = liquifying the paint. I think there are warnings now about not putting them near furniture, but not at the beginning.

You just don't know what will happen in all circumstances. The manufacturers can't go through every single known hand lotion, sanitizer, soap, chemical, etc to see if the paint will rub off. So even if you get new buttons, whatever is happening will continue to happen, unless something changes. It could be as odd as fabric softener residue on your hands after getting dressed. Or something you've put on your face or in your hair or on your body, and then you've touched that part and then touched the buttons.

Since you have to use your right hand for the radio, and most people are right-handed, that would be where most things would collect. Could be anything. Cleaners, solvents, after shave, elevator buttons (hey, they use cleaner on that stuff, it's kind of greasy polish).

You want to see if you can track down the source at your end before getting new buttons.

Andree
04-21-2013, 08:11 PM
Theres nothing i could think of that would leave residue on my hands. :dunno: But if i do replace them i just wont use them anymore

I thought it was worth mentioning. I would think there would be many more instances of this occurring if it was common. Folks who bought in 2011 should have worn the buttons right off the stereo by now. Just little holes as reminders of the buttons that were once there. heh.

Tweak
04-21-2013, 10:22 PM
That's the only reason it hasn't gotten worse! Ha

Time to cut some tiny designs from painters tape and get some spray paint and fix it yourself, clear coat so it won't happen again. :D

I pretty much use my wheel controls exclusively.

Mr. Man
04-21-2013, 10:45 PM
Yeah i may just have to do that. it looks terrible on a car thats so new

Fiat500USA
04-22-2013, 12:16 AM
Hopefully your car is under warranty and they'll take care of that for you. fingersx

Mr. Man
04-22-2013, 12:50 AM
Yeah it is. Ill have to ask about it when I go in for service.

jettrue
08-28-2015, 09:44 AM
I know this is an old thread. But anyone know if we can order replacement buttons? My new to me 2013 Bianco Sport has done the same, even worse.

bryanintowson
08-29-2015, 09:01 AM
I know what you mean - my power button has a chip on it and it drives me NUTS!

MJAB
08-29-2015, 09:24 AM
There is kit with the buttons cover, ....
for example this is one kit 1TJ93JW4AA ivory color, You need to find the ones for your car.

http://www.fiatpartswebstore.com/products/14L-I4-MULTIAIR-16V--6-Spd-Aisin-F21-250-Auto-TransLOUNGE-HATCHBACK/CAP-KIT-Radio/8426983/1TJ93JW4AA.html

Usually are the nails that scratch little by little the button.

jettrue
08-31-2015, 12:13 PM
Hmm, this one says "black" lower down, but says ivory in the description:

http://www.fiatpartswebstore.com/products/CAP-KIT-Radio-RAB--IVORY--X9-Includes-pushbutton-cover--knobs--bracket--and-instruction-sheet-BLACK-BUTTONS-ONLY-AVAILABLE-WITH-RADIO/8426984/1TJ93JXWAA.html

Then says "black buttons only available with radio". I guess it's saying you have to buy the whole new radio?

an02wrx
11-10-2015, 02:48 PM
I just noticed this today on mine. This thread was the first and only from my search. Has anyone taken one in for this issue, or had luck sourcing buttons separate of the radio?

mama mia
11-10-2015, 09:36 PM
I have the same issue. Asked my local studio service manager about it and was told that it is a "wear and tear" item so is not covered under warranty. Seems like it more common of a problem than initially thought. I think it should be addressed by FOA as it a common problem with normal use, not abuse.

Tweak
11-10-2015, 11:26 PM
Find one from a junker then use the steering wheel controls more and the head unit buttons less. ;)

n2oinferno
11-11-2015, 11:56 AM
Find one from a junker then use the steering wheel controls more and the head unit buttons less. ;)

Our old cars spoiled me. They had a power button on the steering wheel.

m3racer
11-11-2015, 12:42 PM
This thread brings back the nightmares of my B6 Audi A4. The entire interior of that car peeled and chipped. You name it and it was painted with a soft touch paint that eventually peeled off.

Tweak
11-14-2015, 12:49 AM
Our old cars spoiled me. They had a power button on the steering wheel.

I don't push the power button much if ever, occasionally I mute it though. Plus I only listen to the radio at level 8-10 more than any other volume level...it is an Abarth so it creates music after all. :D

bryanintowson
11-14-2015, 09:31 AM
The chip on my power button is getting worse.

*OCD meltdown*

smark
11-14-2015, 11:21 AM
Looks like some kind of cleaning solution taken the silk screen printing off the button. The way it smeared off the buttons. Normal wear of you fingers would cause that.

Pedel
11-04-2016, 01:05 PM
I just picked up a used 2013, and one of the buttons had this problem. I saw the earlier link to the fiat parts site with Ivory buttons. I called them, and they have the kit in black as well. Here is the link:

1TJ93JXWAA (http://www.fiatpartswebstore.com/products/CAP-KIT-Radio/8426984/1TJ93JXWAA.html) part numberhttp://www.fiatpartswebstore.com/productSearch.aspx?searchTerm=1tj93jxwaa

bryanintowson
11-05-2016, 06:42 AM
That's awesome thank you!!!

tonysailor
12-04-2016, 07:55 PM
Yes my wife's radio is doing the sam thing, started un warrty, fiat would not touch it

Pedel
12-22-2016, 07:17 PM
CORRECTION: Although the description for this says it is caps and knobs, in fact this is just a kit to help you remove the radio and some replacement caps to cover the place where the removal tool goes. THIS DOES NOT SOLVE THE CHIPPED BUTTON PROBLEM!

Pedel
12-22-2016, 08:06 PM
Now I'm going to give this a try: http://www.ebay.com/itm/152344499685?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

It is really lame that Fiat doesn't just give you replacement buttons.