PDA

View Full Version : How's your hood/fender gap?

Seafarer61
04-19-2013, 02:32 AM
http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i288/SubMariner61/a65faff3-f052-44ef-9f0e-215dc2da6f64_zpsadf0a8bf.jpg

With the install of the white carbon fiber 3m Scotchguard 1080 on the hood, the contrast brought to my attention that the hood actually overlaps both sides of the fenders ever so slightly. Meaning when I place the palm of my hand on the wheel arch and move it north towards the side of the hood, it will touch the edge of it, my hand won't glide over it, which would indicate a flush seam.
http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i288/SubMariner61/8f8a8e51-511a-4254-aafd-eb1a44ecd8cb_zpsab85a159.jpg
The actual vinyl is quite thin so I know it's not due to the wrap. Never noticed it before but it's definitely there. You can also see up by the cowl it's not exactly a flush fit as well though to be honest, the macro shots make it look much worse than it actually is. Probably shouldn't have included this shot since it makes the gap look really sloppy when it's not.
http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i288/SubMariner61/cacd96cc-bd15-42cc-982e-7de9e8bd48ad_zpsf193169b.jpg
I'm curious...if you guys are so inclined, can you let me know how your own hood lines up and if there exists an overlap of sorts. I did a forum search and did find a post or two of hood alignment problems but this isn't so much an alignment problem because the overhang seems to be consistent on both sides of the hood. If I take my hand and press in on the side of the hood that rests just above the wheel arch, as long as I hold slight pressure there, it will line up perfectly, creating a smooth seam. However, once I release that pressure, the metal defaults back to its original position which is probably a 2mm overhang all along both driver and passenger sides of the hood. It's as if it was built .2 wider resulting in a .1 inch overhang on each side.

The gap from the front leading edge of the hood, running left to right, to the front fascia, as you can see above, is perfect. Weird. Well....not so much weird based on my past ownership of Italian cars. :loyal: Perhaps it's Fiat's way of reducing underhood temps? :p Not a terribly pressing matter. If this is the worst concern I have, I'll gladly accept it. I'm not sure even if the Studio can do anything about overhang on BOTH sides. If they loosen the hinges and adjust so one side is flush, that will just make the other side's overlap even more pronounced.

Perhaps I should call it a 500.2 (.1 inch of extra goodness on each side) and be grateful that those ingenious Italian engineers have found a subtle way to get those crazy temps under the Abarth's hood to vent out from each side of it....sort of like a snorting dragon......err, scorpion. :tongue:

Berliner
04-19-2013, 03:01 AM
Let me put it in plain English. The Gap in my 2012 Abarth between the Fenders and the Nose is terrible. If I would have that Gap in a Condom... I would take the Girlfriend to the Hospital in the Abarth giving birth 2 new Italian future Designers.

Ps. Love the Way your Ab looks.:) just call your Abarth a 499.9 ... almost a 500... Looks and Imperfections are so over rated..... what counts is the Smiles and Miles behind the Wheel of an Abarth.

WTH I just pissed 25 Years of Fun in my Life away been a loyal Mercedes Owner.

SuperTony
04-19-2013, 09:05 AM
My alignment is not pristine either - but I don't let it bother me. Like Berliner I am a long time Mercedes and (brace yourself) Land Rover customer. Oh if I could only get those years (and $) back - sigh.

Dwaynek
04-19-2013, 09:15 AM
Mine is fine no issues smooth when you run your hand over it.

Seafarer61
04-19-2013, 09:26 AM
Got to agree fellas. Time to just enjoy the Abarth driving experience.

Once the sun came out, it took away the shadows being thrown from the street lights (which were playing tricks, making the gap, visually, worse than it really is) and in daylight, the fit seems to be a bit tighter (visually).
http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i288/SubMariner61/41c358e1-66e8-4bc0-9aa2-a6427c1d316d_zpsd71c6a9f.jpg
Not great, but then again, this isn't a Zonda. I've been accused of being fairly an*l when it comes to my automobiles but it's been 30 years since my last Fiat and looks like I'll need to remind myself to enjoy the Italian-idiosyncrasies, so to speak. At least it ain't blowing blue smoke out the arse-end like my Alfa....and that was AFTER the second set of piston rings. :banghead:

Mini Cord
04-19-2013, 09:44 AM
Mine were bad alligned on the Sport, I fixed it myself by pushing on the sides of the hood.

If your dealer has a bodyshop on site, they should be able to address it.

Mr. Man
04-21-2013, 04:47 AM
Mines flush on the passenger side but out of place on the drivers side. Just noticed it yesterday actually

Berliner
04-21-2013, 06:58 AM
Thx for posting the Pictures. I feel your pain... if that would be a 2013 Abarth C i would be up in Arms !!!! at 30k. But since i stole my 2012 Abarth from the Dealer i have to accept it. My Neighbor is Body Men...he can not stand the Imperfection that comes out of the Fiat Factory because he has too fix it.

His saying was the OMG the Rambler has a better Line up .....

and not be an Ass on this Forum if i would find imperfections like this on a 2013 Abarth just spending 30k plus on a 500 C i would not have any Face buying an Alfa in the Future.

Fiat needs to get there Asses in Gear..... and listen to there Customers........ How I try to say this in the most polite Way. After you get the Call from Area Code 204 you take the Survey...... Fiat does not Care..... IMHO....

And to be fair..... to Jonathan... he is kinda overworked with all of you Complains......

Look you bought a Fiat... 500 Million Fiats just hit the World Market.

Sorry Chris... it was your Post...... I am fine with it..... I have a Blast with my Abarth on my own Time and honestly I do not give a bloody Hell from Area Code 204....

to improve the Image of Fiat in America....

I luv what I have in my Garage on my own Time what I enjoy most .... even if this Forum does not agree with me.

Honestly .. I don't Care.... if we agree or not with me... but this Forum is outstanding.... too share ..... have an honest Opt. share a bit what happens in your Garage.....

OhioMade
04-25-2013, 09:59 PM
Yeah, I have an odd gap (hood not flush with fender) on the passenger side, and driver side is smooth. It's OK. At least the paint matches on the panels!

I just traded in a 2013 Kia Koup in Titanium and the ass end of the car (plastic) did not match the rest of the car--not just my car, but all the Titanium cars on the lot were the same--wished I had noticed it before driving it away, it drove me crazy.

cmj912
04-26-2013, 09:06 AM
I believe there are some people here who learned how to adjust these gaps themselves and it was a relatively simple procedure.