PDA

View Full Version : 500e pricing and other news:

Andree
04-14-2013, 11:22 PM
The Fiat 500e pricing is out, with $32,500 being the MSRP. After picking through rebates, the price can be as low as 20,500. Amazing. Also available as a lease, at $999 down and $199 per month for 36 months.

More Fiat news, on the 500e, includes charging stations at every Fiat dealership, nav and smart phone directions to chargers, a "matching" system to help consumers choose the right car for their commute.

Slashgear article:
http://www.slashgear.com/california-exclusive-2013-fiat-500e-is-priced-at-32500-14277774/

Marketwatch copy of Chrysler Press Release:
http://www.marketwatch.com/story/fiat-brand-north-america-helps-make-it-easy-for-consumers-to-purchase-or-lease-all-new-2013-fiat-500e-2013-04-13

Andree
04-15-2013, 07:18 AM
I did have links and more text in the post, do not know where it went, sorry.

2Cool
04-15-2013, 08:27 AM
That lease deal is almost unbelievable considering the MSRP. I would be tempted to have one to use just for the weekly commute if I had a bit more garage space.

Robert Nixon
04-15-2013, 10:00 AM
Thanks for the links.

The charging stations and 500e models are still just being released in California this year.

Scootin159
04-15-2013, 01:06 PM
That lease deal is almost unbelievable considering the MSRP. I would be tempted to have one to use just for the weekly commute if I had a bit more garage space.

I suspect that the lease deal is very similar to the one they offered on the Volt a few years ago (at the same $199/mo) - in that it limits you to an annual mileage that is so low that it precludes nearly anyone who drives enough miles to justify an electric vehicle. The Volt lease limited you to something like 5000 miles/year IIRC.

Nothing against electric cars - personally I see a lot of potential advantages there (no pun intended), but until they are at least on par with their gas counterparts from a TCO standpoint, they're going to be a hard sell.

Scootin159
04-15-2013, 01:15 PM
As a side note - not all (or even most) dealers will carry the 500e, and even fewer are going to be able to offer any service on them. From speaking with our local dealership (Syracuse, NY) they revealed to me that basically they would have to sell something like 1000 500e's to even come close to breaking even after buying all the specialized tools and parts inventory necessary to service them - which is way more cars than they've even sold of the gas ones so far. That's pretty telling as well when you figure this is a dealership that is largely already setup to service electric cars (they already have the equipment to service Nissan Leaf's, Chevy Volt's and Mitsu MiEV's) as they're a large multi-dealership carrying 22 make's.

Andree
04-15-2013, 07:17 PM
I suspect that the lease deal is very similar to the one they offered on the Volt a few years ago (at the same $199/mo) - in that it limits you to an annual mileage that is so low that it precludes nearly anyone who drives enough miles to justify an electric vehicle. The Volt lease limited you to something like 5000 miles/year IIRC.

Nothing against electric cars - personally I see a lot of potential advantages there (no pun intended), but until they are at least on par with their gas counterparts from a TCO standpoint, they're going to be a hard sell.

On average, I drive less than 2,000 miles per year. The electric car is ideal for some people, and while the 5,000 miles seems very low to you, it's extremely high for me. I can barely drive enough to keep auto batteries charged. I'm a battery killer. Most of the cars in my life have had batteries die, simply because I don't drive much. Sitting in the car, idling, to charge the car is a waste, and so it driving when it's unnecessary. I have driven the Fiat about 900 miles so far (four months) though, because it's so much easier on my back pain. I actually CAN drive the vehicle more often without undue suffering.

There are quite a few people in this apartment complex that also drive very little. Retirees. They aren't making big trips and they don't have a daily commute. Students, who need to get around town, get to and from whichever school they are going to, but have little time to make long drives. They're busy studying, perhaps working part time.

There's public transit too, to get to farther places. Years back I'd drive the 4-5 miles to the BART train station, and could then get all over the Bay Area. This can be utilized by many of the people in the area. But you have to GET to the BART station. Where I am, it's kind of a mess to try to get there via the bus. And it's just too far to walk with my back pain.

So, it could work very well for many people.

Andree
04-15-2013, 07:19 PM
As a side note - not all (or even most) dealers will carry the 500e, and even fewer are going to be able to offer any service on them. From speaking with our local dealership (Syracuse, NY) they revealed to me that basically they would have to sell something like 1000 500e's to even come close to breaking even after buying all the specialized tools and parts inventory necessary to service them - which is way more cars than they've even sold of the gas ones so far. That's pretty telling as well when you figure this is a dealership that is largely already setup to service electric cars (they already have the equipment to service Nissan Leaf's, Chevy Volt's and Mitsu MiEV's) as they're a large multi-dealership carrying 22 make's.

It's a different kind of car. There are not many electric vehicles on the market. There are many gasoline vehicles. The competition isn't between all cars made, but between electric cars. Which is why it's possible to sell many more electric vehicles, considering the advantages of the 500e.