PDA

View Full Version : Question for the venders (might be a dumb question but..)

JackandSue
04-11-2013, 12:57 PM
The Nissan 370z Nismo has a built in (heel/toe) rev matching system which seems to work well, is that something that could be applied to a ecu reflash. (if one is developed for the Abarth) I'm asking mainly because i'm interested in learning how that works. For myself and many others the art of heel /toe shifting is not easy to learn.

FTY
04-11-2013, 05:24 PM
Yes it could be built into a flash....its very similiar to the VW DSGs throttle blip. There isnt a flash avail yet but its something you could maybe email eurocharged about.

http://www.eurocharged.com/

LittleEvil
04-11-2013, 06:35 PM
The Nissan 370z Nismo has a built in (heel/toe) rev matching system which seems to work well, is that something that could be applied to a ecu reflash. (if one is developed for the Abarth) I'm asking mainly because i'm interested in learning how that works. For myself and many others the art of heel /toe shifting is not easy to learn.

You have an S2K thats the best way to learn :)

KKaWing
04-11-2013, 09:55 PM
Random lurker tips:

"Heel - Toe" is kind of a misnomer. With top jointed gas pedals, "ball of foot - edge of foot" works better. What I mean is the ball of your right foot is firmly on the brake pedal and you blip the throttle with the right side of the foot. Heel-toe works best with bottom jointed gas pedals like BMWs. I wish I saved the video of Randy Pobst teaching the technique. It's floating somewhere on youtube.

As to timing the shifts, as in "oh no the blip is gone and I can't get it in gear in time -hugeeee lurch-", a good "crutch" would be to clutch-shift-blip-release. Now technically it should be clutch-blip&shift-release but splitting them up will help with muscle memory in terms of the feeling of getting the blip right. The synchros would probably work harder but I doubt it would be more so than not rev matching...

Hope that helps, and yes if/when there's ECU flashes it could be done. I've seen the ECUTek based tunes for the FR-S/BRZ/GT86 offer the "blip-shift" feature.

/backtolurking & /drool@Abarth500pictures

KKaWing
04-11-2013, 09:57 PM
Oh, I forgot to add. The FT86 cars have a gear position sensor even for a manual car. Not sure of the Fiats have it...

Edit: Hmmm, the original post got eaten by the first post mod approval process...

In short:

1. "Heel-toe" is more like "ball of feet-edge of feet" where ball of feet is firmly on brake pedal, blipping the gas with the edge of your foot (pinky side).

2. A timing "crutch" would be clutch in, shift, blip, release. It should be clutch, blip & shift, release, but separating the steps will help with the feel and muscle memory.

Hope this helps.

Edit 2: Found the video (ok it wasn't Randy but he's featured in the series :p)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VxGtx9xXhlM

mkawa
04-11-2013, 10:00 PM
almost certainly. i would say almost if not all modern manuals have this. i have a friend who has what i believe is the cheapest car on the US market: an absolute 100% base no option hyundai accent 3dr ca. 2010. it has the same dumb gear shift indicator we do (but it can't be turned off) with programmed shift points for maximum fuel economy over some assumed engine engine load.

Jjm4life
04-11-2013, 10:32 PM
successfully executing heal-toe downshift is one of the more rewarding aspects of driving a manual transmission. instead of hoping for a computer to sort it out like the Z, take the time to practice. if you can properly drive a manual, this technique shouldn't be all that much more difficult to master.

Mr. Man
04-12-2013, 01:54 AM
I've got it down pretty well in non performance conditions and I just started driving manuals last september. Just takes practice

Tweak
04-16-2013, 09:19 PM
Edit: Hmmm, the original post got eaten by the first post mod approval process...

Just got to this one, no internet last night and finding all posts awaiting moderation is sometimes time consuming. Good now. ;) Welcome to the forum.