PDA

View Full Version : Check engine light just came on.

Septiem
04-10-2013, 09:51 PM
Car is bone stock, 1350 miles, and the check engine light came on today. Bringing it in to the dealer in the morning. Fiat of Manhatten is close to work. Hope it is something stupid, like a loose gas cap or something.
:(

ukeluthier
04-10-2013, 10:55 PM
Car is bone stock, 1350 miles, and the check engine light came on today. Bringing it in to the dealer in the morning. Fiat of Manhatten is close to work. Hope it is something stupid, like a loose gas cap or something.

Must be contagious... mine (also stock, with 8k miles) came on yesterday. Just for grins today (and because my dealer is far away), I disconnected the battery for a few minutes. When I reconnected it, the light was no longer on, and has not come back on after running around town a bit today.

Thomas
04-10-2013, 11:03 PM
From what you are describing it doesn't sound like a big worry. My 2012 had a check engine light come on with under 1000 miles. Once it was re-set and went through a cycle, it never came back (touch wood). Am now at 17,000 KMS.

Dwaynek
04-11-2013, 12:55 AM
check that the gas cap is on tight.

Seafarer61
04-11-2013, 04:58 AM
Hopefully this won't be taken the wrong way but a scanner can be bought for $45 fellas. As a former Fiat, Alfa and Triumph owner, I now embrace the ability to read what HAL 9000 is coughing up. Most of the time, thrown codes are emissions or "breathing" related. Sure helps to know though. I highly recommend everyone, if not already, purchase one.

04-11-2013, 07:48 AM
Hopefully this won't be taken the wrong way but a scanner can be bought for $45 fellas. As a former Fiat, Alfa and Triumph owner, I now embrace the ability to read what HAL 9000 is coughing up. Most of the time, thrown codes are emissions or "breathing" related. Sure helps to know though. I highly recommend everyone, if not already, purchase one.

I bought one for $50 and it works great. Or you can go to a part store that will generally read it for FREE!! This car seems prone to throwing codes, most of which are something of nothing and would reset after an ignition cycle anyway. Least it has all those protections just in case though!

FiatCares
04-11-2013, 12:57 PM

Was the studio able to find the reason for the check engine light?

Septiem
04-11-2013, 03:58 PM
Going to pick it up in a few hours. Possible EVAP Leak. Nothing too bad, just a pain. Will confirm later when I pick it up.

As far as the scanner. The way i figure, i get to drive in to work, park a few blocks away (for free in manhatten) and possibly get a free car wash. Or i can buy a scanner, pay for parking, and get wet washing it myself. :)

DJ Sueno
04-11-2013, 09:32 PM
Going to pick it up in a few hours. Possible EVAP Leak. Nothing too bad, just a pain. Will confirm later when I pick it up.

As far as the scanner. The way i figure, i get to drive in to work, park a few blocks away (for free in manhatten) and possibly get a free car wash. Or i can buy a scanner, pay for parking, and get wet washing it myself. :)
You may also get free swirls from the dealer too... SpinningSmiley

I would prefer to wash it myself... coolgleam

Anyways, what did you find out ?

VTEC Mini
04-11-2013, 09:46 PM

Please check the last post on page two of this thread; http://www.fiat500usaforum.com/showthread.php?8966-Having-a-MINI-flash-back/page2. Ask your dealer for the code and compare it too mine for the Evap. Fiat engineers supposedly are working on a update for this issue but I can't get a confirmation at all or what is the progress on it even when I talked to Fiats hub in Michigan. They cleared the code and it has not come back yet and it has been about three weeks and 1200 miles latter.

Septiem
04-11-2013, 10:15 PM
Got the car back, seems to be a bad oxygen sensor, needs to go back Tuesday to have it replaced. They did not wash it, lol. But I still got it parked all day for free:)
FYI, Manhatten FIAT is moving to a new location a few blocks away. Will see the new studio Tuesday.

Septiem
04-11-2013, 10:21 PM
I will ask for the specific code Tuesday and post it. Just so we have a record of it.

I would prefer to be outside with my kids, washing the Abarth and the Stang. But not when it's 50 degrees out. ;)

Septiem
04-17-2013, 11:51 AM
Ok, So it was not the O2 sensor, But a faulty E.S.I.M. Code was a generic P0456 (evap leak)

BigDaddySRT
04-17-2013, 12:51 PM
Loosen Gas Cap, and Re-Install properly.

Disconnect Battery to clear Evap Code.

If the CEL comes back with the same code, then you have an issue.

If the CEL doesn't come back, then you need to learn how to properly tighten the gas cap at every fill up.

Septiem
04-17-2013, 01:39 PM
It was not the gas cap. It was, according to FIAT, a faulty E.S.I.M, and they are replacing it.

I live in New Jersey. We dont touch gas caps. Even looking at the gas cap can get you arrested here, lol. ;)

b56.1m6
04-17-2013, 04:47 PM
It was not the gas cap. It was, according to FIAT, a faulty E.S.I.M, and they are replacing it.

I live in New Jersey. We dont touch gas caps. Even looking at the gas cap can get you arrested here, lol. ;)
That is funny! I got yelled at when I topped off my tank at NJ Turnpike Sunoco. One pump jockey told me that the no self serve law goes back to the depression to save jobs and it is not a safety fire prevention ordinance?

Scorponix
04-18-2013, 01:32 PM
Hey I had one a CEL too! LOL I have a thread for this, maybe a thread should be made for all the CELs we encounter? Btw this was mine (copying from my thread) Putting it here in case you encounter this issue too:

Update: So it turns out there were two codes that were thrown on the car. They are: boost side evap purge sytem and check config failed. They said it was most likely due to the mm chip and power pedal that's installed on the car. They said another customer had this similar problem, came in and had this cleared and hasn't had this occur again. Anyone else get these two codes? I'm picking up Skorpy today and will be driving this weekend so if it comes up I'll let you all know.

VTEC Mini
04-18-2013, 02:39 PM
How about it Chris? A sticky thread dedicated to codes?

Tweak
04-18-2013, 06:18 PM
How about it Chris? A sticky thread dedicated to codes?

I'm not Chris but I am all for it. :cool:

This work for you?

CEL: Check Engine Light Codes and Info (http://www.fiat500usaforum.com/showthread.php?9413-CEL-Check-Engine-Light-Codes-and-Info&p=600981#post600981)

VTEC Mini
04-18-2013, 06:53 PM
I'm not Chris but I am all for it. :cool:

This work for you?

CEL: Check Engine Light Codes and Info (http://www.fiat500usaforum.com/showthread.php?9413-CEL-Check-Engine-Light-Codes-and-Info&p=600981#post600981)Thats Perfect!

Tweak
04-18-2013, 07:17 PM
Thats Perfect!

Glad that will suffice. ;)

New500!
03-11-2016, 07:00 PM
check that the gas cap is on tight.

I just picked up my Fiat from the body shop yesterday (boo-hoo) and the engine light was on. I got some gas, turned the gas cap 3 times as usual, but it didn't go off. The shop said "no problem, bring it back and we'll check the code." Well, it being early in the morning, I drove it to the shop, and when I got there, and the guy tightened the cap even more, the light went off! YAHOO. (Could have been off this morning, who knows, I hadn't had my coffee!

TIGHTEN YOUR GAS CAPS!

PS - Any GOOD mechanic will start with the smallest, insignificant thing first!