PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have a problem with their brakes?

FootScoot
04-10-2013, 09:28 PM
I took my Abarth in this morning to have the upshift light fixed. I noticed Tuesday afternoon while putting some tire dressing on that the left front brake rotor was rusty about half way up. The outer edge is nice and shiny. They looked at it and called this afternoon saying the brake pads are worn. The car only has 587 miles on it. Personally I think something else is going on like bent caliper mount, bad caliper, caliper not installed at the factory correctly. Something isn't right, and I'm not happy about it. Now I have to wait until Friday to get it back. Seems a bit odd they wouldn't have brake pads in stock. They are a wear item after all.:rant:

Tweak
04-10-2013, 09:46 PM
I'd suspect a problem they should likely correct. Myself and 20 other FIATs drove A LOT (some well over 1,000 miles) for several days for hours each day at high speeds at times and braking hard, we could smell both brakes and rubber often but no one had any problems with their brakes so to have less than 600 miles and what sounds somewhat serious I'd definitely push for some legit answers on what's going on and why. Good luck!

FootScoot
04-11-2013, 07:38 PM
I went to the dealer service center this morning to find out what was going. The technician said the backing plate on the outer brake pad was bent slightly so that only the upper corner of the pad was contacting the rotor. The rear pad was fine. Just something minor, so no harm, no foul.

Tweak
04-12-2013, 02:00 AM
I went to the dealer service center this morning to find out what was going. The technician said the backing plate on the outer brake pad was bent slightly so that only the upper corner of the pad was contacting the rotor. The rear pad was fine. Just something minor, so no harm, no foul.

Glad it was a simple fix! Back to enjoying the drive. :cool:

FiatCares
04-12-2013, 02:54 PM
I took my Abarth in this morning to have the upshift light fixed. I noticed Tuesday afternoon while putting some tire dressing on that the left front brake rotor was rusty about half way up. The outer edge is nice and shiny. They looked at it and called this afternoon saying the brake pads are worn. The car only has 587 miles on it. Personally I think something else is going on like bent caliper mount, bad caliper, caliper not installed at the factory correctly. Something isn't right, and I'm not happy about it. Now I have to wait until Friday to get it back. Seems a bit odd they wouldn't have brake pads in stock. They are a wear item after all.:rant:

Let me know how it turns out today

FootScoot
04-12-2013, 08:54 PM
Got my baby back this afternoon, yippee!gr_grin Pads replaced, and everything is fine now. I had a rental car for the 3 days mine was in the repair center. a Ford Focus, what a turd. I can't believe people would actually spend money for one. 43,000 miles and a 2012 and all it did was rattle.:crazy: The car I traded for my Abarth, a 2009 Pontiac Vibe GT with 113,000 miles didn't make a peep going down the road.:positive:

Dr. FIAT
04-12-2013, 11:28 PM
I now have 1900 miles on mine, and the fronts looks great- nice shiny rotors, well bedded. But the backs look like they aren't fully bedded yet- some striations around the rotor. Is this normal? I wonder what the brake bias is on these...

FootScoot
04-13-2013, 05:08 PM
My rear rotors are just starting to bed in a little, and they look a little odd with those lines in them, but that's normal. They will smooth out over time.