PDA

View Full Version : Oh Noes! CEL came on!

Scorponix
04-09-2013, 03:18 PM
So I have a short ram CAI installed along with the ECU mod & Power Pedal upgrade installed on the car, and well this weekend while driving a CEL came on. Not sure if these mods are the cause. Anyone else experience a CEL coming on from these mods? I'm taking it to the stealership this weekend since they installed these parts on the car they are covered under warranty ^_^ I'll give an update prolly on Monday or whenever I get my scorpy back.

Forgot to mention car has 803 miles on it, mods have only been on the car since 100 miles? I think...bought it back in November I can't remember.

Ryephile
04-09-2013, 03:39 PM
Another gas pedal + piggyback CEL problem. :( Sounds like this combination of hardware is volatile.

My advice is to remove those bits, clear the code, and determine the base-line engine hardware isn't having a problem. From there you can deduce whether specific hardware or combinations are inducing the CEL.

VTEC Mini
04-09-2013, 03:48 PM
What box do you have?

shagghie
04-09-2013, 03:57 PM
What box do you have?
Guessing the MM since he's running the PP and the dealer installed them (they usually only install the MM ones from what I've read).

I would try resetting the ECU completely, removing the PP, and see where you're at. If you throw it again, then take of the piggyback to and re-baseline. Also if you have an iPhone you can get DashCommand to help read the codes and also delete them. The $15 ebay KIWI OBD2 wifi boxes do the trick for this great to go along with the App.

Did you check your gas cap to make sure it's on tight? Perhaps did you top off the gas at your last fill? (this can cause a code on our cars, pfft). Could be water in gas too. Are you running at least 91 octane? just throwing out ideas to cover some quick bases.

VTEC Mini
04-09-2013, 04:06 PM
Guessing the MM since he's running the PP and the dealer installed them (they usually only install the MM ones from what I've read).

.Thats my guess as well but I want to be sure.

GoFiatGo!
04-09-2013, 04:11 PM
What is the code? If you don't have a scanner go to any parts store and they can scan it for you.

Scorponix
04-09-2013, 04:36 PM
Hi thanks for all the questions and follow ups! Okay so yes I do have the MM ECU + PP mod, got it off of Maddness back in the winter. This was installed and I've only driven my car three times since it was installed, this was the first time the code was thrown. I spoke to the awesome folks at the studio and they told me they will take a look at it to see if that is the culprit. It sounds like the PP + ECU mod has given some folks issues eh? So far they haven't had any other complaints/issues from the other customers who had this combo installed on their Abarths. Maybe it's a defect in the actual piece of aftermarket hardware? Either way I'll find out for sure once they take a look at it. I don't have a scanner and I'll just let them look at it rather than getting the code myself through an auto store. I had em install it for this reason, it is under warranty ^_^.

Btw Shaggie you are awesome! I am going to order this now ^_^ This would be so much easier to do rather than pay mucho dinero for a scanner or bother an auto store employee. You made my day! I will buy this once this whole issue is resolved that way if I ever receive a CEL again I'll be able to provide more info! Also the gas door is closed. I do have a cold air intake on the car so maybe the MAF is having issues and throwing a code? It could be a number of things really guys. I was just wondering if anyone else with these mods had any CEL issues, just to be aware of any issues they could be causing. Thanks for the follow up I'm glad everyone is so cool!

Jjm4life
04-09-2013, 04:41 PM
Before we hop all over the pp+mm bandwagon, have you pulled the code yet?

My car has gone into limp mode twice for throttle position sensor... But I don't have the pedal. Cleared the code, haven't seen it again in 2k. Car has 4500 on it

04-09-2013, 04:56 PM
Were you using cruise control at the time?

Scorponix
04-09-2013, 05:01 PM
@fidgell nope, I was driving on the freeway with Sport mode on going about 69mph (the usual speed I go). I had a little less than a half a tank in the car, which is 91 octane from Shell (only brand that has been in the car since day 1). Weather was 45F so it was quite cool. I have the Sila Concepts CAI on the car too.

04-09-2013, 05:52 PM
I wouldnt worry till youve read the code. Many on here have thrown the odd code, and some had mods some didnt! Ive run both MM products and an intake for 32k problem free all the way. I think our little Scorpion can get picky at times. Sure itll be nothing like 99% of those youll read here.

Let us know

BigDaddySRT
04-10-2013, 08:00 AM
Pull the Code.... don't ever jump to conclusions.

If the car wasn't kicked into Limp Mode, and the CEL wasn't flashing... then it's probably a minor easy fix code.

VTEC Mini
04-11-2013, 01:40 PM
Pull the Code.... don't ever jump to conclusions.

If the car wasn't kicked into Limp Mode, and the CEL wasn't flashing... then it's probably a minor easy fix code.Not necessarily. Mine kicked out a code with out flashing or going into limp mode that nobody knows how to fix it and Fiat Engineers are supposedly working on it so they cleared it , and kicked it out the door with crossed fingers.

Scorponix
04-12-2013, 05:08 PM
Update: So it turns out there were two codes that were thrown on the car. They are: boost side evap purge sytem and check config failed. They said it was most likely due to the mm chip and power pedal that's installed on the car. They said another customer had this similar problem, came in and had this cleared and hasn't had this occur again. Anyone else get these two codes? I'm picking up Skorpy today and will be driving this weekend so if it comes up I'll let you all know.

VTEC Mini
04-14-2013, 07:24 PM
Update: So it turns out there were two codes that were thrown on the car. They are: boost side evap purge sytem and check config failed. They said it was most likely due to the mm chip and power pedal that's installed on the car. They said another customer had this similar problem, came in and had this cleared and hasn't had this occur again. Anyone else get these two codes? I'm picking up Skorpy today and will be driving this weekend so if it comes up I'll let you all know.YES THIS IS THE EXACT SAME THING MINE DID!!! I don't have the the MM or power pedal so they are full of crap. I have talked to corporate back in MI about this and supposedly Fiat is working on a new flash for our cars for this problem. They cleared it on my car and it has not returned. You can read about in the link I provided on this thread.

Scorponix
04-15-2013, 10:23 AM
YES THIS IS THE EXACT SAME THING MINE DID!!! I don't have the the MM or power pedal so they are full of crap. I have talked to corporate back in MI about this and supposedly Fiat is working on a new flash for our cars for this problem. They cleared it on my car and it has not returned. You can read about in the link I provided on this thread.

OOOOO I shall! I will definitely let the studio know about this being a overall Fiat issue and not a MM issue. Wonder if any 2012s experienced this issue?

Scorponix
05-06-2013, 11:20 AM
AND the CEL is back on! Same driving conditions, the car was even warmed up. The service rep asked if I had the car warm up prior and the engine was already warm since it was in use prior. Was in the process of doing a mini roadtrip so it was pretty warm. Not sure what the code is will find out on Thursday.

500MADNESS.com
05-06-2013, 03:48 PM
AND the CEL is back on! Same driving conditions, the car was even warmed up. The service rep asked if I had the car warm up prior and the engine was already warm since it was in use prior. Was in the process of doing a mini roadtrip so it was pretty warm. Not sure what the code is will find out on Thursday.

Sorry to hear about the light, but it is mostly likely not the controllers that caused it. It seems to be a common issue that we have seen an a number of cars (with and without mods). If there are mods, then the dealers at times will simply blame the mod since it is the easiest thing to do.

What we have seen is that if you have the MM combo and start switching programs back and forth while driving you may throw a light. That happens because you are stepping on the throttle and sending a signal that your pedal is at a certain position. If you press the remote button on the MM unit, press a button or a Sprint Booster or a button on our GOPedal (does not matter which unit) you then send a different signal out. The cars computer then gets a little confused and for safety throws on the light.

After driving for a while the light will eventually go off once the cars computer realizes there is nothing wrong.

A good way to avoid this is to always, always make sure you are stationary and have your foot off the gas when switching settings on your units (regardless which ones they are).

Hope this helps...

One last thing... if you have the MM unit with older programing you may want to download the new program for the controller. If you need assistance just give us a buzz and we will be glad to help.

We can also tell you and everyone else on here that since the new updated MM Modules arrived we have had absolutely zero issues of any kind with the units. It looks like the new software took care of the limp mode issue and the new hardware took care of the issue with the boxes loosing memory. One thing that also need to be restated is that there was less then 20 boxes that were sent back to MM for replacement out of 100's and 100's installed and in use.

500MADNESS.com
05-06-2013, 03:49 PM
YES THIS IS THE EXACT SAME THING MINE DID!!! I don't have the the MM or power pedal so they are full of crap. I have talked to corporate back in MI about this and supposedly Fiat is working on a new flash for our cars for this problem. They cleared it on my car and it has not returned. You can read about in the link I provided on this thread.

You are correct. There is a new flash in the works from FIAT that should correct the issue.

Scorponix
05-10-2013, 03:53 PM
Yes the Studio just confirmed this too after I passed this info on! Thanks for the info, I wasn't aware that the vehicle had to be idle. I feel a tad salty.

500MADNESS.com
05-10-2013, 04:02 PM
Yes the Studio just confirmed this too after I passed this info on! Thanks for the info, I wasn't aware that the vehicle had to be idle. I feel a tad salty.

No problem! Glad to be of assistance.

VTEC Mini
05-10-2013, 06:46 PM
You are correct. There is a new flash in the works from FIAT that should correct the issue.

Now I am confused a baby in a strip club. Yesterday I went to get an oil change and asked if they had a new flash for this issue and they said "No." and said they had another Abarth that got this CEL code. Oh, well... See you tomorrow Boris ;).