PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else find it notchy getting into 1st in traffic? - Throw out Bearing noise.

deathshead
04-09-2013, 09:48 AM
I find myself going from Second to first when in traffic as its hard to get into first.
The colder the trans the worse it is. I will see how she goes since the weather has been warming up here finally here in the Northeast. but its getting kind of annoying.

Also, Have you guys noticed your throwout bearing can get a little noisey when cold?
you get a little tick-whirl, push the clutch in and it goes away. I thought it was the multiair solenoids at first.
until it went away when warm. Still not as bad as my old srt-4 was. When I put all solid motor and trans mounts it sounded like a supercharger, hah.

msjulie33
04-09-2013, 11:12 AM
Just a Pop here but not really, I do blip the throttle first of course and the temps here are warmer by a bit :)

04-09-2013, 11:23 AM
Id take that into the dealer. Had my Abarth a year and not experienced any of those issues with 32k on the clock. The only "quirk" with the box is that its easier to get into reverse by going from first rather than neutral. Personally I find the shift quite good for a car of this price point. I have a Craven SS kit which makes the whole thing feel tighter but even before then first was never an issue. Be careful if youre going from second to first on the roll...not a great way to treat the box!

Mr. Man
04-09-2013, 11:31 AM
I usually double clutch back into first. Does the trick most of the time

OhioMade
04-09-2013, 10:11 PM
I've noticed first gear is not as smooth to engage when I am moving in traffic. Not hard to get into, but just not as smooth as the other gears.

deathshead
04-10-2013, 10:37 AM
Over the past 2 days its been well over 70F. no strange noises to report.
I think it may have just been those 20 degree dead cold mornings where the car sat all night.

looking into solutions on the shifter slop-notchyness.
Delrin shifter bushings in my old SRT-4 made WORLDS of difference.

FootScoot
04-10-2013, 05:24 PM
Mine is a little tough getting from gear to gear sometimes, especially when it's cold. It's fine once it warms up. I'm just wonder if going to a higher grade trans oil would fix it, something like Red Line, which I used in the BMW I had. Putting the Red Line in was almost like the trans had been rebuilt. Very smooth and no more notchiness.

Deefourtay
04-10-2013, 07:33 PM
Seems like a normal thing with our cars.. In the morning I take an easy with sport-mode off, seems to be less stress on the tranny that way and no grinds.. I double clutch 1st and 2nd until the car fully warms up, and then I turn sport mode on. The car seems a lot smoother with sport-mode off in bumper to bumper traffic as well

Mr. Man
04-14-2013, 05:16 AM
Mine is a little tough getting from gear to gear sometimes, especially when it's cold. It's fine once it warms up. I'm just wonder if going to a higher grade trans oil would fix it, something like Red Line, which I used in the BMW I had. Putting the Red Line in was almost like the trans had been rebuilt. Very smooth and no more notchiness.

You may be onto something here. Anyone want to try this out and see if its a noticeable improvement? Being a student I'm always short on cash lol :slap: