PDA

View Full Version : Lester CF Aggressive Rear Diffuser

Abarth Five O
04-03-2013, 01:17 PM
Jay,
How is the fitment on the NA Abarth? Any modifications needed? Does it come with mounting hardware or DIY instructions?

Abarth Five O
04-08-2013, 07:22 PM
Jay or someone at Madness, please kindly respond.

MADNESSLuckyJay
04-08-2013, 07:40 PM
Jay or someone at Madness, please kindly respond.

Checking into it for ya Gary!

Abarth Five O
04-12-2013, 01:10 AM
Checking into it for ya Gary!

Any info Jay?

Jjm4life
04-12-2013, 01:29 AM
If its anything like their carbon fiber abarth badge, it leaves a lot to be desired.In 500madness' defense, they were very Willing to work with me on it, but after a ton of work it looks pretty good. Shockingly poor fitment, and flimsy.

MADNESSLuckyJay
04-12-2013, 12:16 PM
Any info Jay?

Hey Gary, the diffuser fits the car fairly well, we recently installed the fiberglass one on a car and we did have to do some body work to it to get the gaps to match all the way around, not 100% sure about the carbon fiber one.

MADNESSLuckyJay
04-12-2013, 12:52 PM
Pics would be appreciated.

I can see if I have some pics of the car before it left, but the part that needed some work was the center top portion, we needed to add material in the body shop to the top/center to make the gap along the top nice and level. It wasn't all that surprising when I saw the part, over the years and all the cars I've been involved with building, quite often, if not every time you get an aftermarket body panel it needs to be worked to be perfect

Abarth Five O
04-12-2013, 01:20 PM
Hey Gary, the diffuser fits the car fairly well, we recently installed the fiberglass one on a car and we did have to do some body work to it to get the gaps to match all the way around, not 100% sure about the carbon fiber one.

It would be very disappointing if the customer had to do body work on the CF diffuser (added cost, time, etc.) since it's supposed to be already in show gloss finish and cost nearly $1k. It would be nice if Madness could do a pre-fitment to make sure all is good before shipping it to the customer.

MADNESSLuckyJay
04-12-2013, 02:04 PM
It would be very disappointing if the customer had to do body work on the CF diffuser (added cost, time, etc.) since it's supposed to be already in show gloss finish and cost nearly $1k. It would be nice if Madness could do a pre-fitment to make sure all is good before shipping it to the customer.

The one I saw was not carbon fiber, it was the fiberglass one.

Jjm4life
04-12-2013, 02:13 PM
It would be very disappointing if the customer had to do body work on the CF diffuser (added cost, time, etc.) since it's supposed to be already in show gloss finish and cost nearly $1k.

agreed. ive bought tons of carbon fiber parts for countless different cars, but i was shocked at how low quality the lester badge was. i would be weary of other parts by the same manufacturer.
i think the issue is that they are euro manufacturers. we all know the euro 500 is different, so uinless these guys are investing in NA fiat parts to use for their molds, its not going to be correct. even if they have the mold, its not like the have the car available to tweak the mold as needed.
again, this is no fault of 500madness.
jay- shot you a few PMs regarding parts...

shagghie
04-12-2013, 02:32 PM
FWIW, the MM CF diffusor fits like a champ and looks gorgeous!

Abarth Five O
04-12-2013, 03:31 PM
I would consider buying the Lester CF diffuser if Madness would do a pre-fitment on their NA Abarth rear bumper to assure proper fitment and quality control before shipping it out. Since I'm an overseas customer, it's not like I can drive over and see them for help any time.

MADNESSLuckyJay
04-12-2013, 04:03 PM
The Lester Carbon diffuser does come with self-tapping screws that hold the top line, if you wanted to know something will fit perfectly the MM one is the way to go. Carbon Fiber, like a lot of things, is a "get what you pay for" type of technology. Some companies invest whatever they need to, to make sure their molds and every detail are perfect. Sometimes they can get warped when they are shipped, they can just be a pain sometimes. The Lester one will fit on your car, but for those of us that like our custom cars perfect, it will take a little time to make sure you mount the screws in the right place to ensure a consistent gap

Abarth Five O
04-12-2013, 05:53 PM
The Lester Carbon diffuser does come with self-tapping screws that hold the top line, if you wanted to know something will fit perfectly the MM one is the way to go. Carbon Fiber, like a lot of things, is a "get what you pay for" type of technology. Some companies invest whatever they need to, to make sure their molds and every detail are perfect. Sometimes they can get warped when they are shipped, they can just be a pain sometimes. The Lester one will fit on your car, but for those of us that like our custom cars perfect, it will take a little time to make sure you mount the screws in the right place to ensure a consistent gap

Jay, thank you for your replies. The Lester Aggressive CF diffuser is only $50 cheaper than the MM diffuser (i.e. $949.99 vs. $999.99). With such a small price differential, one would assume that you would be getting a Lester product that is comparable in quality, fit and finish to MM, but in reality that might not be the case. Perhaps the Lester one is way overpriced? At any rate, I prefer the aggressive diffuser if I'm going to replace the stock one.

shagghie
04-12-2013, 06:04 PM
The CF weave on the MM diffusor is very fine, and has a really nice, thick gloss coat. It doesn't match the inox CF Vinyl I have on my rear upper spoiler, but no matter because the eyes can't take both pieces in at the same time. Like you, I would probably get the Aggressive diffusor style if I did it over again, and paint that sucker red.

Jay, thank you for your replies. The Lester Aggressive CF diffuser is only $50 cheaper than the MM diffuser (i.e. $949.99 vs. $999.99). With such a small price differential, one would assume that you would be getting a Lester product that is comparable in quality, fit and finish to MM, but in reality that might not be the case. Perhaps the Lester one is way overpriced? At any rate, I prefer the aggressive diffuser if I'm going to replace the stock one.

Abarth Five O
04-12-2013, 08:25 PM
The CF weave on the MM diffusor is very fine, and has a really nice, thick gloss coat. It doesn't match the inox CF Vinyl I have on my rear upper spoiler, but no matter because the eyes can't take both pieces in at the same time. Like you, I would probably get the Aggressive diffusor style if I did it over again, and paint that sucker red.

Painted would be cool too.

MADNESSJoseph
04-13-2013, 06:51 PM
Hi Guys,

I just wanted to chime in really quick in regards to the rear diffusers, fitment and the quality.

We have installed both the MM diffusers as well as the Lester diffusers and pretty much like any aftermarket part there is a little massaging that will need to be done to ensure proper fitment. Honestly, that's really my experience with any exterior modification that's not OEM.

Now in regards to the quality of the Lester products:
I deal with all different makes of carbon fiber on a daily basis and I would honestly say that Lester offers some high quality pieces. We personally run Lester carbon fiber on the majority of our own vehicles and have had no issues in regards to poor quality or problems with fitment.

I will say that for the front Lester Carbon Badge that we had great fitment on that product and we just used a light amount of epoxy on the install and finished off the edges with a black epoxy to have that OEM style look.

If any of you happen to have any questions though in regards to our Carbon Fiber products or maybe would like some more pictures please don't hesitate to reach out to me personally at jreyes@madnessautoworks.com.

I hope these details we of some assistance. coolgleam

Joseph

Mr. Man
04-22-2013, 02:55 AM
Painted would be cool too.

Or even cooler, tinted :cool:

Abarth Five O
04-27-2013, 01:24 AM
Look forward to installing the Lester Aggressive CF rear diffuser on my Abarth in a week or two.

shagghie
04-27-2013, 01:40 AM
Look forward to installing the Lester Aggressive CF rear diffuser on my Abarth in a week or two.

awesome!!! can't wait to see pics!!!

Abarth Five O
04-27-2013, 02:14 AM
Thanks Shagghie! Will employ the help of a professional installer and post some pics.

500MADNESS.com
04-29-2013, 03:21 PM
Abarth Five O,

Let us know when you get it and have it installed.

Abarth Five O
04-29-2013, 10:57 PM
Abarth Five O,

Let us know when you get it and have it installed.

Will do Boris! Thank you for asking! Much appreciated!

Abarth Five O
05-15-2013, 10:59 PM
Here are a few pics. As recommended by Madness, I used a professional body shop for the install. They did an excellent job with minimal issues. The diffuser gives the rear end a totally different look and should add more rear end stability from the aggressive diffusers at higher speeds.

shagghie
05-16-2013, 02:05 AM
Gorgeous!! Looks awesome on the grigio too!!
Now only question is: whats your next CF piece gonna be???

Here are a few pics. As recommended by Madness, I used a professional body shop for the install. They did an excellent job with minimal issues. The diffuser gives the rear end a totally different look and should add more rear end stability from the aggressive diffusers at higher speeds.

Abarth Five O
05-16-2013, 02:21 AM
Gorgeous!! Looks awesome on the grigio too!!
Now only question is: whats your next CF piece gonna be???

I ordered the R/R CF side skirt extenders. Should receive it in about 2 weeks.

Mr. Man
05-16-2013, 09:35 AM
Is it just me or does it look a little warped in the middle? Kinda like its getting squeezed

Ryephile
05-16-2013, 09:54 AM
Looks quite good, love the aesthetics. How far does it extend beneath the car, similar to stock? I wonder how much rework was involved in the install. The not-level center grill mesh is throwing me off though.

shagghie
05-16-2013, 11:27 AM
Looks quite good, love the aesthetics. How far does it extend beneath the car, similar to stock? I wonder how much rework was involved in the install. The not-level center grill mesh is throwing me off though.

damn didnt even notice that till u said something!
Maybe it's on purpose to drawyour eyes in...

MADNESSLuckyJay
05-16-2013, 11:58 AM

Looking good Gary!

MADNESSJoseph
05-16-2013, 03:37 PM
:thumbsup: VERY NICE!!!!! Excellent choice my friend!

Tweak
05-16-2013, 10:37 PM
CF and Grigio, perfect match!

Mr. Man
05-19-2013, 03:32 AM
Ok so I have a question. What caused the middle part to get kinda funky looking? Is it because of how it was attached or is it because if its too big? If its too big it'd probably be easier to modify the bumper than to modify the diffuser for the perfect fit wouldn't it?

sfhpawel
05-20-2013, 01:23 PM
Very very nice! On another thread we had the issue of dust residue on the rear hatch, and how it builds up so quick. After you drive around for a bit can you let us no if the rear of your car gets dirty less or more with a new diffuser.
Maybe NOJEEBS could chime in since he has the extended wing ... just curious if the change in aerodynamics will change the current of air and how residue settles.

Abarth Five O
05-20-2013, 02:13 PM
Very very nice! On another thread we had the issue of dust residue on the rear hatch, and how it builds up so quick. After you drive around for a bit can you let us no if the rear of your car gets dirty less or more with a new diffuser.
Maybe NOJEEBS could chime in since he has the extended wing ... just curious if the change in aerodynamics will change the current of air and how residue settles.
Thanks! I haven't noticed any additional dust residue with the new diffuser.

Abarth Five O
05-24-2013, 06:53 PM
more pics:

redred
05-24-2013, 06:55 PM
Definitely makes the car look more aggressive! Looks pretty great!!

Tweak
05-24-2013, 08:53 PM
Always like to see Grigio Abarth pics! Esp the rear of this one with that sweet diffuser. :)

Mr. Man
05-25-2013, 03:58 PM
Looks really good at that angle

lenswerks
07-07-2013, 05:23 PM

When being installed were you able to observe the installation and if so could you provide some information on what if anything had to be fabricated, what were the minimal issues and any other information that would help someone considering a purchase?

Thanks.

Abarth Five O
07-07-2013, 11:25 PM
Not able to observe installation, however, my trusted pro installer repositioned the OEM mounting points and used their own mounting hardware (nuts and bolts) for a more secure and better fit. Install is very solid with no rattling or other issues. No additional fabrication was necessary. As this install is not for an amateur, the diffuser is a beautiful and expensive piece, and CF is brittle, I would highly recommend using a pro body shop to avoid any mistakes.