PDA

View Full Version : factory service manual?

mkawa
03-30-2013, 12:35 PM
Hey folks,

My first purchase for any car is the full tech manual. I've grown up on Hondas, so this is usually pretty simple, as Helms carries the manual at product launch, and it doesn't tend to evolve much (or change at all) over time. However, from googling, all I've found is a post from a Fiat rep that says that only subscription services for garages are offered, and this item: https://www.techauthority.com/en-US/Pages/FacetSearchResults.aspx?make=FIAT&catIDs=325651&producttype=Service%20Manuals&ptCatId=3083

however, it's not clear to me which trims this covers, and whether it comes with update service if in fact they are still actively updating the service procedures :eek:!. in fact, there are at least three variants of the multi-air engine that i know of, the base model's engine, the turbo engine, and the abarth engine, and at least three, if not four suspension configurations! (base, sport, turbo, abarth)!

Could someone from HQ chime in on what the part number is for the service manual for a 2013 abarth, and if/how an updating process might worth? obviously, as an individual owner, i can't afford and have no need for a multi-user general techauthority subscription, but I also don't want to buy the wrong service manual part number or be left without major updates if the service procedures are continually changing :(

trevc
03-30-2013, 12:48 PM
Available on CD from techauthority for $135. One for all the US Fiat 2012 models (including Abarth), one for the 2013
https://www.techauthority.com/en-US/Pages/FacetSearchResults.aspx?make=FIAT&catIDs=126604,126605,325650,325651&producttype=Service%20Manuals&ptCatId=3083

Nowhere near as good as the Honda manuals but better than nothing! No update service; you would need the on-line subscription service for that.

mkawa
03-30-2013, 12:52 PM
interesting. maybe i'll wait until the end of the model year to buy then

yes, helms manuals are almost universally excellent. love them!

DJ Sueno
03-30-2013, 02:19 PM
I also like to have the manuals and wiring diagrams, but prefer an actual book... I think the "CD" manuals are extremely overpriced... It costs nothing to replicate a CD... Do you get an actual OEM factory book manual with purchase of CD??? Thats the only way the CD version would be worth the money...

Just my .02 cents...

Pronto
03-30-2013, 02:30 PM
Available on CD from techauthority for $135. One for all the US Fiat 2012 models (including Abarth), one for the 2013
https://www.techauthority.com/en-US/Pages/FacetSearchResults.aspx?make=FIAT&catIDs=126604,126605,325650,325651&producttype=Service%20Manuals&ptCatId=3083

Nowhere near as good as the Honda manuals but better than nothing! No update service; you would need the on-line subscription service for that.
I checked out your suggested website to order the manual on CD and began the purchase process till I came to a complete stop when they wanted to charge me $35.00 to send me CD via UPS. Are F'in kidding me!

Wolfie
03-30-2013, 04:02 PM
I checked out your suggested website to order the manual on CD and began the purchase process till I came to a complete stop when they wanted to charge me $35.00 to send me CD via UPS. Are F'in kidding me!

Don't forget the $7.95 for handling as well!!!
Ordered a CD a few days ago - shipping to Canada included I had to pay a total of $197.00 (now I only hope I'm able to skip border duties...) :dejection:

mkawa
03-30-2013, 04:27 PM
hopefully said fiat rep will pop by and explain to us how to skip this completely ridiculous process. if techauthority has an online account and delivery system, why can't we use it as well for the cost of the cd copy or some equivalent (say 20$/year)? is there some reason why techauthority can't just create a very restricted account type that can only access a single make/model/year manual but can do so online?

Fiat500USA
03-30-2013, 08:16 PM
The TechAuthority repair guide is good. I use the online one, don't know what the difference is in the cd version. There wasn't anything available other than online for a long time, so the cd is good news. Factory manuals are expensive, though. I had to purchase a paper manual for my 1995 Audi 90 years ago from Audi (no Bentley manual available back then) and spent many hundreds of dollars.

Contact TechAuthority for specific questions on the cd. I'd say it's a good deal, especially when you see how much the online subscription is.

mkawa
03-31-2013, 08:43 AM
good to hear that the cd was itself a step forward, but -- and no offense intended here, as it certainly isn't your fault -- this is the 21st century, and everything should be online at this point. if fiat wants to target the younger enthusiast community, these kinds of modernization steps are eventually going to be required.

again, not to be confrontational, just some constructive feedback from an otherwise happy customer :)

Fiat500USA
03-31-2013, 11:58 AM
good to hear that the cd was itself a step forward, but -- and no offense intended here, as it certainly isn't your fault -- this is the 21st century, and everything should be online at this point. if fiat wants to target the younger enthusiast community, these kinds of modernization steps are eventually going to be required.

again, not to be confrontational, just some constructive feedback from an otherwise happy customer :)

No offense taken and just to be clear, I am not a Fiat representative.

The repair guide is online, but the problem is it is currently geared towards professionals (meaning an expensive online subscription). You can buy a three day pass that isn't too bad - I think it is $35. The CD at $135 isn't cheap, but I recall some Bentley CDs costing almost $100. I first contacted Fiat way back in early 2009 for service information so I understand the frustration of waiting for something to be available for the public.

I prefer paper manuals but would take a CD. The online manual is inconvenient, but does get updated. It is pretty good, so I expect the CD to be similar. I may get one for the heck of it.

trevc
03-31-2013, 01:33 PM
With so much electronics on these cars you really need a witech unit to be able to diagnose and perform some procedures. These are out of the price range of most folks unfortunately.

Pronto
03-31-2013, 02:25 PM
The TechAuthority repair guide is good. I use the online one, don't know what the difference is in the cd version. There wasn't anything available other than online for a long time, so the cd is good news. Factory manuals are expensive, though. I had to purchase a paper manual for my 1995 Audi 90 years ago from Audi (no Bentley manual available back then) and spent many hundreds of dollars.

Contact TechAuthority for specific questions on the cd. I'd say it's a good deal, especially when you see how much the online subscription is.
Perhaps it is a good deal in the end but it offends me to see a $35 shipping charge when I know darn well it only costs $1.78 to send it in a bubble envelope! They should have just built the shipping charge into the price and then I would not have anything to complain about and would probably consider that they are recouping the cost of research and development with a modest profit margin. That's all I'm saying. Happy Easter!

mkawa
03-31-2013, 04:55 PM
No offense taken and just to be clear, I am not a Fiat representative. whoops! i thought you were the fiatcares or fiatusa rep that has been posting recently..

mkawa
04-09-2013, 02:05 PM
sigh, i gave in and bought the cd. you win this time mopar, but next time... *shakes fist*

insult + injury: 8$ "handling fee" on a cd with nothing but a 50mb PDF on it. SIGH

Wolfie
04-09-2013, 02:09 PM
sigh, i gave in and bought the cd. you win this time mopar, but next time... *shakes fist*

insult + injury: 8$ "handling fee" on a cd with nothing but a 50mb PDF on it. SIGH

+1

mkawa
04-11-2013, 09:25 AM
and an extra slap! so far it's taken them two days to NOT FINISH PROCESSING MY ORDER FOR A CD WITH A SINGLE FILE I COULD HAVE DOWNLOADED IN FIVE MINUTES

thanks mopar! THUMBS UP (not really)

Wolfie
04-11-2013, 11:54 AM
and an extra slap! so far it's taken them two days to NOT FINISH PROCESSING MY ORDER FOR A CD WITH A SINGLE FILE I COULD HAVE DOWNLOADED IN FIVE MINUTES

thanks mopar! THUMBS UP (not really)

It's called "Customer Service" at his best ... :dejection:

SeaDawg
04-14-2013, 11:00 AM
This is NOT an endorsement! I have NO idea how good or bad this manual is, but I thought I'd provide the link as an alternative. It is NOT a 'factory' manual. The price listed is $26.99...that seems rather reasonable in comparison to the Techdata CD for $134.95 or whatever.

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/parts/2012-Fiat-500-Sport/Manual-Vehicle-Maintenance/_/N-k3ea9Z8gec7

mkawa
04-14-2013, 11:08 AM
i despise chilton manuals. in the past, the chiltons i've seen contain procedure explanations that are of the form "AXLE REMOVAL PROCEDURE -- remove axle; you may need an axle removal tool." with few/poor visualizations

SeaDawg
04-14-2013, 11:18 AM
i despise chilton manuals. in the past, the chiltons i've seen contain procedure explanations that are of the form "AXLE REMOVAL PROCEDURE -- remove axle; you may need an axle removal tool." with few/poor visualizations

Wow, shooting from the hip... It states Alldata as the provider. It is on a CD and an online subscription. If you KNOW this is a Chilton and if you don't want to use it fine, I just provided the link. My personal opinion is that you should research the item before using a blunderbuss on it.

mkawa
04-14-2013, 11:29 AM
oh sorry, you link brought me to a page full of chiltons. i didn't know you were trying to link to alldata. alldata is solid stuff.

edit: ...and now the link brings me to the correct alldata listing *shakes fist at autozone website*

actually, this is awesome, if alldatadiy(.com) has added fiat models, we can just pull them down online (in subscription form even!!). thanks for the info! apologies for the chilton mixup (but really, don't buy chilton manuals people :)).

DJ Sueno
04-14-2013, 01:23 PM
Nothing wrong with a Chiltons manual... Good stuff there... If OEM book manual is available I will get those, but I will also be happy to get a Chiltons as well... I have used them for other cars I have owned and they were great to have and use...

Also the Haynes manuals as well...

mkawa
04-14-2013, 02:01 PM
i'll stop the accidental thread hijack here, but i have been very unpleased with their honda manuals. that may be because the factory helms are so so so so so good and reasonably priced as well..

Small&Wicked2013
06-19-2013, 09:34 AM
Discount code for alldata "spring13"

Winston
01-27-2014, 10:53 PM
I have had Helms manuals and Bently manuals too, which were very well written , but yesterday I purchased a 3 day subscription to techauthority and was extremely disappointed. I was not able to find anything useful to me; I was looking for basic, home mechanic stuff like electrical diagrams and torque specs and spark plug type and gap.
I e-mailed them that I was not able to use their subscription and would like them to apply my $35 to the purchase of the CD.
Today I received a reply saying they don't do that , but would review my situation.
One would hope Fiat would provide a printed shop manual , some day . Sigh .