PDA

View Full Version : What voids warranties???

John O
03-28-2013, 10:11 AM
Hey All,

Since this is a concern of mine, this seemed the right sub-forum to post in.

I have in mind to do a few little things to my Abarth, but having new owned a new car before, I’m just not sure where the “void your warranty” line is. How far can I go?

In order of importance, my list is like this:

K&N Drop-in Filter
28mm Rear Torsion Bar
500Madness Upper Strut Brace
MM Power Pedal …tested a friend’s MM-PP on my car this weekend and it is exactly the improvement I’m looking for.
MM Bambardone Exhaust

What’s going to get me in trouble??? Anything???

Thanks for your advice.

John O.

trevc
03-28-2013, 10:20 AM
Not doing oil changes at the correct interval and keeping documentation that they were done.

Hey All,

Since this is a concern of mine, this seemed the right sub-forum to post in.

I have in mind to do a few little things to my Abarth, but having new owned a new car before, I’m just not sure where the “void your warranty” line is. How far can I go?

In order of importance, my list is like this:

K&N Drop-in Filter
28mm Rear Torsion Bar
500Madness Upper Strut Brace
MM Power Pedal …tested a friend’s MM-PP on my car this weekend and it is exactly the improvement I’m looking for.
MM Bambardone Exhaust

What’s going to get me in trouble??? Anything???

Thanks for your advice.

John O.

Haring
03-28-2013, 10:57 AM
I think it depends on your dealership. I had a issue with a clunking noise when driving in reverse. They said it was a tear in my dogbone mount. They wouldn't cover it because of the intake and top strut brace (this is on a Sport) "somehow" caused this so they wouldn't cover it under warranty. I picked up the car and it still made the noise. Luckily as I was about to leave the service manager was getting back from lunch. I told him the noise was still there. He then opened the hood and said when going in reverse the intake is bumping into the top strut brace. I took off the brace and the noise was gone....but now have a brand new dogbone mount from this experience. Dealership says Chrysler makes the calls on what is covered and according to Chrysler it's the dealership's call. I've no clue who to believe. I'm shocked they didn't say the broken armrest isn't covered because I put turbo tail lights on the car. :D

Mr. Man
03-28-2013, 07:45 PM
Excessive hooning will void your warranty.... if they ever find out :naughty:

Deefourtay
03-28-2013, 08:55 PM
My Studio told me today that as long as your Modification isn't the direct cause of an issue in your vehicle.. Your Warranty should be fine.

Example: Your Engine Blew (A sway bar or Coilovers is not directly related, therefore not a valid reason to void your Warranty.) Unless you lowered your car so low that you bottomed out and damaged Vital Components of course.

However, if you modified something Engine Related.. Such as your ECU/Tune, and your engine ran too lean or something & seized.. You could say goodbye to your warranty in that situation.

Most cosmetic & minor bolt on items should be no biggie. Don't quote me on this though, of course there may be some risk running any kind of non-factory modifications, it just depends if your Studio is Mod Friendly or not.. You can ask a few different Studios & find out what their take on modifications are too.

toddr124
03-29-2013, 11:42 AM
The warranty is void if they can come up with any reasonable reason such as a FATT. Keep and replace the original parts and remove the power pedal before having warranty work done. After that, act stupid. I know you are good at that.

John O
03-29-2013, 08:27 PM
...After that, act stupid. I know you are good at that.

It's not acting! I'm good because I practice!!! :smile:

John O.

Seafarer61
03-30-2013, 12:59 AM
Link below worth a read. I've never had a problem at dealerships with my modifications on previous sportscars but then again, I'm in my 50's and each time I've ever visited the dealership, my cars were detailed before arrival. The impression created was always "this fella babies his car" and combined with my age, they left me alone. However, if you're getting ECU-related problems and you've got a piggyback or other manipulators, that's another issue entirely. Air and exhaust, suspension mods tend to be dismissed by most dealerships...it's when you start taking over the computer that historically, you get a bit more critique from 'em. The stubborn service department managers want to put the entire car's operation on that tiny little computer and many will balk at warranty work if there is any chance in hell they can blame it on your piggyback.

http://autos.aol.com/article/warranty-and-aftermarket-parts/

Mr. Man
03-30-2013, 12:28 PM
Not doing oil changes at the correct interval and keeping documentation that they were done.

I have a question. I want to do some diy maintenance because I don't trust that my dealer can fix anything without ruining something else. How would I document that?

trevc
03-30-2013, 12:55 PM
Keep receipts for filters/oil etc. and a log book.

I have a question. I want to do some diy maintenance because I don't trust that my dealer can fix anything without ruining something else. How would I document that?

Abarth Phreak
03-30-2013, 01:45 PM
I think it depends on your dealership. I had a issue with a clunking noise when driving in reverse. They said it was a tear in my dogbone mount. They wouldn't cover it because of the intake and top strut brace (this is on a Sport) "somehow" caused this so they wouldn't cover it under warranty. I picked up the car and it still made the noise. Luckily as I was about to leave the service manager was getting back from lunch. I told him the noise was still there. He then opened the hood and said when going in reverse the intake is bumping into the top strut brace. I took off the brace and the noise was gone....but now have a brand new dogbone mount from this experience. Dealership says Chrysler makes the calls on what is covered and according to Chrysler it's the dealership's call. I've no clue who to believe. I'm shocked they didn't say the broken armrest isn't covered because I put turbo tail lights on the car. :D

The typical process:

Owner brings in subject vehicle
Dealership staff takes a look
If its an obvious and normal defect they will take care of it
If its not so obvious or normal they will contact Chrysler to get permission
Usually if it is escalated to this point one of two things will happen:
1) The dealer takes pictures and sends them to Chrysler
2) The dealer has a Chrysler rep come to the shop to see it in person as pictures won't work
The dealership staff and Chrysler rep determine the issue and warranty eligibility
The Chrysler rep does have the power to override the dealership as Chrysler is the covering party and the dealership won't work for free

I know this from experience several times with my modded cars...LOL

Chrysler never denied a warranty on me...but I also never tried to get something covered that was my fault either. There were a few of those too.