PDA

View Full Version : Craven Short Shifter or Neuf Short Shifter

500ways
03-27-2013, 12:51 PM
Let's take a vote. Which short shifter would you recommend?

redred
03-27-2013, 12:53 PM
I personally like the Neu-F one myself. It keeps the stock height, but shortens the throw. I am tall and I like the height of the stock shifter a lot. I just didn't like having to reach so far forward for 1st, 3rd & 5th. Also makes the shift feel far more positive and really makes the entire driving experience feel a lot different (in a good way).

trevc
03-27-2013, 01:44 PM
I personally really like my TWM short-shifter.
It replace the whole cage/mechanism with all metal instead of the stock plastic cage. Expensive but they offer deals.

Deefourtay
03-27-2013, 01:48 PM
I do like the height of stock, but my Craven Shifter & Long Shift Knob is a great combo.. Never tried the Neuf, but I'm sure it should do fine paired with a round shift knob.

The TWM short-shifter sure looks great though.. I like the fact that it replaces the whole cage and converts to a traditional threaded shift knob.

scorpion_king
03-27-2013, 03:55 PM
+1 on the Neu-F by Neuspeed

Abarth Phreak
03-27-2013, 10:54 PM
I like the application of the Neu-F conversion...priced right too. However, it does not always allow a smooth shift, especially to first gear. I have learned to compensate by throwing to 2nd then back to first gear. I like it, but it has flaws. I can guess any other shift kit will too.

shagghie
03-28-2013, 12:01 AM
I went with craven..it's extremely well built and the metal ball socket makes a world of difference in feel. Shifting is a lot tighter, the throw is shorter, and with the Craven race lever knob, it's still easy to access for 'resting elbow on the arm rest' Sunday drives. the extra weight too of the whole mechanism is really a big factor in the feel and control improvements.

Mr. Man
03-28-2013, 05:22 AM
When the time comes to mod Bianca I will be buying the neu-f adapter. I too like the stock height being a newcomer to manual transmissions, I figure it wouldn't make enough of a difference to justify the extra hundred dollars for one of the other ones

BigDaddySRT
03-28-2013, 07:45 AM
Has anyone installed both on the same ABARTH?
arcadefreak

Crossfirecat
03-28-2013, 07:51 AM
I like the application of the Neu-F conversion...priced right too. However, it does not always allow a smooth shift, especially to first gear. I have learned to compensate by throwing to 2nd then back to first gear. I like it, but it has flaws. I can guess any other shift kit will too.

Odd! I wonder if anyone else is having this issue with the Neu-F kit. I was going to order one of them this Friday. Now I'm thinking I may just leave it alone. I prefer the stock height and look over the Craven and TWM offerings and other shift knobs as well.

redred
03-28-2013, 01:21 PM
Odd! I wonder if anyone else is having this issue with the Neu-F kit. I was going to order one of them this Friday. Now I'm thinking I may just leave it alone. I prefer the stock height and look over the Craven and TWM offerings and other shift knobs as well.

I haven't noticed any issues going into first at all (and I sometimes cheat and go from 3rd to 1st on a hard turn).

JackandSue
03-28-2013, 01:35 PM
When the time comes to mod Bianca I will be buying the neu-f adapter. I too like the stock height being a newcomer to manual transmissions, I figure it wouldn't make enough of a difference to justify the extra hundred dollars for one of the other ones
Just installed the nue-f adapter, took about 30 minutes and it works great going into all gears smoothly. I was inpressed with the workmanship of the adapter. Fifi loves it.

Willow1285
03-28-2013, 01:37 PM
im not expert but i dont know how good that is for your synchros

I haven't noticed any issues going into first at all (and I sometimes cheat and go from 3rd to 1st on a hard turn).

redred
03-28-2013, 02:26 PM
im not expert but i dont know how good that is for your synchros

It's not great which is why I always try to rev match to help them out a little bit. Again, I don't do this often, but in a pinch its a fun way to be on the power out of a tight turn. Point is though, I've never had an issue getting into any gear with the Neu-F adapter installed. It always provides a very positive feeling response with any gear that I choose.

NajeeDad
03-28-2013, 03:11 PM
I went with the Neuf, cheaper, easier to install and I like the stock stick anyway

Abarth Phreak
03-28-2013, 09:11 PM
Mine worked fine at first also, but then I noticed the issue a few days later. Neuspeed is nearby and one of these days Im going to make a point to stop by and share the issue with them. Not open on weekends however.

Just installed the nue-f adapter, took about 30 minutes and it works great going into all gears smoothly. I was inpressed with the workmanship of the adapter. Fifi loves it.

Mr. Man
03-29-2013, 01:27 AM
Has anyone installed both on the same ABARTH?
arcadefreak

I was curious about this too

WMWFiat
03-31-2013, 06:16 PM
We've sold several of both the Craven and Neu-f, but personally you can't go wrong with the Neu-f. (http://www.waymotorworks.com/neuf-fiat-short-shifter.html) For the price you can install it and try it out. If you like it your all set, if not you could always resale it and get most your money back, and if you loose a little it won't be much even if you don't resale it.

2Cool
03-31-2013, 09:36 PM
My NeuF is working smooth like butter. No issues at all.

500ways
03-31-2013, 10:33 PM
My NeuF is working smooth like butter. No issues at all.

2Cool - How long have you had the NeuF installed? Any issues with first gear as some others have mentioned?

EliRider
04-01-2013, 06:25 AM
I've only tried the Craven shifter and currently have 20K miles on my Abarth using the Craven product with no problems.
I'm sure that all short shifter kits (Craven, Nuef, or TWM) is a significant improvement than the stock shifter.

Still love shifting with the Craven and weighted knob even though some prefer the lighter weight or stock knobs which the Craven shifter will support.

Some on the forum have worked closely with TWM to fine tune the fit for our cars and have reported back that this is a great product. I could imagine that the TWM shifting pattern could be a bit tighter than all the other products based on the comments and description of the product. I'm very pleased with the reduced shifting pivot point angle and height of the Craven and do not feel that the side to side motion is a problem. The Craven product is an elegant and simple well engineered/machined design which I highly recommend.

goosala
05-06-2013, 07:36 PM
I have the Neuf shifter adaptor and could not be happier. The savings is nice too.

scorpion_king
05-06-2013, 08:22 PM
I have the Neu-F by Neuspeed and extremely happy with it

Tweak
05-06-2013, 09:14 PM
Welcome to the forum Ted.

DMilla
05-06-2013, 10:04 PM
I've got the Neuspeed unit and love it!

500ways
05-06-2013, 10:15 PM
Any notchiness with the Neuf adapter? Any issues when the car is cold?

Abarth Phreak
05-06-2013, 11:07 PM
Any notchiness with the Neuf adapter? Any issues when the car is cold?
S
yes and yes.....its not a game changer, but the NF is a bit touchy and more noticable when cold. As stated previously, I throw to second then up to first mostly when cold.

hownowcb
05-14-2013, 03:45 PM
I've also got the Neuspeed unit and love it. Shifting seemed a little bit stiffer at first, but 1500 miles and a few months ago it was eternal winter here. Even before the outside temps warmed up, the shifter had become as smooth/effortless as before; just shorter throws. I'd say it took about two weeks for the cable ends to "synch up" with the new pivot points. I'd noticed before reinstalling the console, that the ball ends were at one end of their pivot/twist travel, but without taking it apart again for proof, I'd bet they're just as lined up straight as when I first disconnected them. I've never had any issues getting my Abarth into first or reverse, either before or after installing the short shifter.

shagghie
05-14-2013, 06:29 PM
I've only tried the Craven shifter and currently have 20K miles on my Abarth using the Craven product with no problems.
I'm sure that all short shifter kits (Craven, Nuef, or TWM) is a significant improvement than the stock shifter.

Still love shifting with the Craven and weighted knob even though some prefer the lighter weight or stock knobs which the Craven shifter will support.

Some on the forum have worked closely with TWM to fine tune the fit for our cars and have reported back that this is a great product. I could imagine that the TWM shifting pattern could be a bit tighter than all the other products based on the comments and description of the product. I'm very pleased with the reduced shifting pivot point angle and height of the Craven and do not feel that the side to side motion is a problem. The Craven product is an elegant and simple well engineered/machined design which I highly recommend.

Pretty much, ... THIS ^^^ (all of it)

Jjm4life
05-15-2013, 01:18 PM
Really like my neu-f adapter. Installed in minutes, noticeably shorter more direct shifts. most important to me, the height remains the same.

GiuliaRoberts
03-16-2014, 10:11 AM
Anyone try the 500 Madness branded adapter?

RagingBullWinkle
03-16-2014, 06:24 PM
Just did this this week,

Short Shifter Adapter by Neuspeed
Great price compared to other options. Quick install I did need to do a few minutes filing for a flush fit no big deal. Firm, short throws a lot less slop than stock. Good bang for the buck!

crankin
03-24-2014, 09:46 PM
What and where needs to be filied on the Neuspeed?

Dfly1972
05-12-2014, 02:16 AM
Anyone try the 500 Madness branded adapter?

Just installed 1 last weekend. Works great. Tighter shifting was my main goal. Shorter throws was a bonus. Easy to install. No filling. I've never had a hard time shifting into 1st. Still don't.

D

Fasthound
07-10-2014, 11:34 AM
I just installed the Neu-f kit yesterday. Took about an hour including filing. OMG what a difference it makes. Suddenly the shifter feels solid and precise vs the stock long rubbery throws. It is absolutely worth every penny. It truly transforms the shifting quality of the car.

RRM chassis braces and rear bar are next....as soon as RRM gets off their butts and gets them shipped!!! Been on order for almost two weeks now. Getting frustrated waiting for them.

Racerflash
09-02-2014, 12:47 PM
I've been using the Neu-F adapter for about 8 months now. It was very "clunky" when I first installed especially going into first. I got a little used to it after awhile but still not as smooth as stock. Someone suggested greasing the shift rods, which I tried a couple of months ago. It seemed better at first, not it annoyingly clunky again! Had anyone had this problem and fixed it? Any further adjustments of the shift cables or such could help?

Thanks in advance for any help,
Flash

Babel
12-11-2014, 06:00 PM
I just installed my neuf yesterday. Hella stiff. It actually reminds me of my 350z shifter. Clunk-clunk-clunk, first time I shifted from first to second I thought I went from first to neutral and had to double check the throw was so small and stiff. So far so good, huuuuge difference. Didn't grease, filed a little bit.