PDA

View Full Version : Having a MINI flash back.

VTEC Mini
03-21-2013, 03:04 PM
Today on the way to work I got a check engine light and boost has been limited. She has her appointment tomorrow at 8 AM and she has only 3700 miles on her. I instantly thought of my POS MINI I used to have that had 2500 miles when its check engine light came on. From then out it was a nightmare for the next four years/ 42,000 miles.

redred
03-21-2013, 03:11 PM
The boost limiting is odd, but at 3,700 miles I got a CEL and it was to change the oil.

VTEC Mini
03-21-2013, 03:24 PM
The boost limiting is odd, but at 3,700 miles I got a CEL and it was to change the oil.

I hope that is all it is. I did have the oil changed last week though but I doubt they reset the computer.

03-21-2013, 05:14 PM
It puts text " Change engine oil" on the EVIC if thats required. Reset it yourself, key to on but dont start it, press accelerator 3 times, turn key off. Job done (if its that) good luck!

VTEC Mini
03-21-2013, 05:41 PM
It puts text " Change engine oil" on the EVIC if thats required. Reset it yourself, key to on but dont start it, press accelerator 3 times, turn key off. Job done (if its that) good luck!

Oh, ok... Thanks for the tip I will have to remember that :). Mine didn't say that though. It just said "check engine". Thanks for the help!

Deefourtay
03-21-2013, 05:59 PM
Hopefully it's a minor issue that can be fixed by the dealer in a timely manner.. No issues with my engine so far (Knock on Wood)

VTEC Mini
03-21-2013, 06:03 PM
Hopefully it's a minor issue that can be fixed by the dealer in a timely manner.. No issues with my engine so far (Knock on Wood)

Thank you!

FTY
03-21-2013, 06:14 PM
Thank you!

Its probabley something insignifigant(hopefully), bad fuel could also cuase this. Good Luck!

Did the limp mode (6psi max Im assuming) go away after a restart?

VTEC Mini
03-21-2013, 06:32 PM
Its probabley something insignifigant(hopefully), bad fuel could also cuase this. Good Luck!

Did the limp mode (6psi max Im assuming) go away after a restart?I don't know yet. I am getting ready to leave work in about 30 minutes so I will know then. What happened I was accelerating through an intersection and as soon as I lifted out of the throttle is when the light and message came on. After that the car felt sluggish and, according to the gauge, wouldn't go over 12 PSI and mostly stayed about 6- 8 PSI.

Dwaynek
03-21-2013, 08:18 PM
check to see that your gas cap is on tight.

VTEC Mini
03-22-2013, 11:47 AM
yep, did that too. She is at the shop now so we shall see.

VTEC Mini
03-25-2013, 05:50 PM
Ok, apparently they have had the car since Friday but don't know the cause of the engine light..... They have an "Email" out engineering to see what they have to say.... Yeah...... This is so MINI it is not even funny. Now I am stuck with out a car.

VTEC Mini
03-26-2013, 05:19 PM
Just got a call from my dealer and supposedly there is nothing wrong with my car...... It appears it is a software issue and Fiat is aware of and is coming out with another update. The code that was spit out was not apparently an emission one but a turbo issue one. So they are going to clear the code and give the car back. Funny, why I am the only one on two different Fiat forums with this particular "turbo" issue/ code, but it is a big enough problem that Fiat is aware and coming out with a fix? The car did feel kind of sluggish after the light came on so my translation is this;

"We don't know whats wrong with your car so we are going to clear the code and cross our fingers."

Maybe I am being cynical and unfair because of my MINI experience but that's the way I feel now.

shagghie
03-26-2013, 05:30 PM
Blarg! So sorry... that's the worst feeling, not KNOWING what is going on and just being told to 'give her a go and you should be aright'. Say, would you mind asking your service department what code number was thrown for our reference here? Just by posting it on this thread, when and if someone gets one similar in the future, doing a forum 'search' will help us all string things together. As time goes on, this is an effective, if not indirect, way of capturing known-issues and root causes as they are discovered. Was very effective on the VWVortex forums, for example. Only code I've thrown so far is a P0105 MAP/BPC code.

Just got a call from my dealer and supposedly there is nothing wrong with my car...... It appears it is a software issue and Fiat is aware of and is coming out with another update. The code that was spit out was not apparently an emission one but a turbo issue one. So they are going to clear the code and give the car back. Funny, why I am the only one on two different Fiat forums with this particular "turbo" issue/ code, but it is a big enough problem that Fiat is aware and coming out with a fix? The car did feel kind of sluggish after the light came on so my translation is this;

"We don't know whats wrong with your car so we are going to clear the code and cross our fingers."

Maybe I am being cynical and unfair because of my MINI experience but that's the way I feel now.

Andree
03-26-2013, 06:24 PM

Don't feel bad about the cynicism, I fell apart when the overhead reading light burned out/became loose/didn't light up. Went into panic and anxiety mode, convinced the car was now a "lemon", that I'd been screwed over, and the engine was probably going to explode. LOL!

It's not because of the simple light bulb, because thinking a car will fall apart from ONE. SINGLE. LIGHT. BULB. is totally irrational. It's because of the previous experiences I've had with other cars. And like you, the whole nightmare of other cars comes back in a whirlwind of memories, ALL of the bad parts, none of the good parts.

Secondly, the computer stuff is weird. All the old cars I had were non-computer. If there was something wrong with it, a cause could be found. Bad plugs, distributor, alternator, carburetor, whatever it was, some power tools would find the source and FIX the problem.

With the computer stuff, there's nothing for us to look at. To KNOW it's gone bad, and to KNOW how to fix it. And the mechanics are NOT the computer geeks who wrote the code. They do the "makes-sense-to-me" repairs of parts gone bad and maintenance of parts in use. It's NOT something the mechanics can fix. Which means taking your car into the service department may result in "we don't know, we don't have a fix for it, we don't know what wrong".

Don't place the heavy burden of being unable to fix something in the computer stuff on the service department or any mechanic. They can't fix it. They can only do something to the car computer system if a fix has been made and provided to them.

Example: The 2009 Honda Fit reported mpg inaccurately. That's a computer thing. There was nothing to wrench on. Honda made something to fix it, and taking the car in and having this flash update fixed the problem. The fix wasn't available when we all first discovered the issue, it had to be created. I was sorta kinda part of getting the fix officially logged in a way that the company could see there was indeed a problem. And it took my car away for the day, just to PROVE the inconsistency. They can't create a fix for something that isn't broken.

There are probably other people who have the same thing as you do. That doesn't mean they are all on the forums. How many cars have been sold in the US? How many people are on the forums?

Hopefully the update will be available soon for whatever the mystery problem is, and you can relax. Because it's NOT a Mini.

VTEC Mini
03-26-2013, 06:25 PM
Blarg! So sorry... that's the worst feeling, not KNOWING what is going on and just being told to 'give her a go and you should be aright'. Say, would you mind asking your service department what code number was thrown for our reference here? Just by posting it on this thread, when and if someone gets one similar in the future, doing a forum 'search' will help us all string things together. As time goes on, this is an effective, if not indirect, way of capturing known-issues and root causes as they are discovered. Was very effective on the VWVortex forums, for example. Only code I've thrown so far is a P0105 MAP/BPC code.I sure will when I go to pick it up. That is an excellent idea! They are addressing a seal issue so I am hoping the car will be done today.

VTEC Mini
03-26-2013, 06:42 PM
Don't feel bad about the cynicism, I fell apart when the overhead reading light burned out/became loose/didn't light up. Went into panic and anxiety mode, convinced the car was now a "lemon", that I'd been screwed over, and the engine was probably going to explode. LOL!

It's not because of the simple light bulb, because thinking a car will fall apart from ONE. SINGLE. LIGHT. BULB. is totally irrational. It's because of the previous experiences I've had with other cars. And like you, the whole nightmare of other cars comes back in a whirlwind of memories, ALL of the bad parts, none of the good parts.

Secondly, the computer stuff is weird. All the old cars I had were non-computer. If there was something wrong with it, a cause could be found. Bad plugs, distributor, alternator, carburetor, whatever it was, some power tools would find the source and FIX the problem.

With the computer stuff, there's nothing for us to look at. To KNOW it's gone bad, and to KNOW how to fix it. And the mechanics are NOT the computer geeks who wrote the code. They do the "makes-sense-to-me" repairs of parts gone bad and maintenance of parts in use. It's NOT something the mechanics can fix. Which means taking your car into the service department may result in "we don't know, we don't have a fix for it, we don't know what wrong".

Don't place the heavy burden of being unable to fix something in the computer stuff on the service department or any mechanic. They can't fix it. They can only do something to the car computer system if a fix has been made and provided to them.

Example: The 2009 Honda Fit reported mpg inaccurately. That's a computer thing. There was nothing to wrench on. Honda made something to fix it, and taking the car in and having this flash update fixed the problem. The fix wasn't available when we all first discovered the issue, it had to be created. I was sorta kinda part of getting the fix officially logged in a way that the company could see there was indeed a problem. And it took my car away for the day, just to PROVE the inconsistency. They can't create a fix for something that isn't broken.

There are probably other people who have the same thing as you do. That doesn't mean they are all on the forums. How many cars have been sold in the US? How many people are on the forums?

Hopefully the update will be available soon for whatever the mystery problem is, and you can relax. Because it's NOT a Mini.Here is what I don't understand about this problem that nobody seems to have but me on two forums; The side skirt situation. This has been going on since its release. There are multiple threads on both forums with multiple people with this problem. Fiat is just now getting to it.

This "Turbo issue", which I am so far the only one I have seen so far, is a "Know problem that Fiat HAS been working on." yet I have seen nothing anywhere...

Amazing how one car company put you in a cynical position of all car companies.

Thanks for the great imput though :).

Abarth Phreak
03-27-2013, 12:28 AM
Don't forget that not all owners are in a forum...there still could be others. I don't post every issue I have with my cars either. Sounds like FIAT is working the issue out though...that is good. Lastly, make sure the service code is written (typed) on your service summary just in case you need to reference it again later. Have it recorded by the dealership.

Here is what I don't understand about this problem that nobody seems to have but me on two forums; The side skirt situation. This has been going on since its release. There are multiple threads on both forums with multiple people with this problem. Fiat is just now getting to it.

This "Turbo issue", which I am so far the only one I have seen so far, is a "Know problem that Fiat HAS been working on." yet I have seen nothing anywhere...

Andree
03-27-2013, 01:42 AM
Here is what I don't understand about this problem that nobody seems to have but me on two forums; The side skirt situation. This has been going on since its release. There are multiple threads on both forums with multiple people with this problem. Fiat is just now getting to it.

The side skirt would be frustrating. The part fits. No problem with that. And the adhesion is supposed to be good for life. But for some reason, the material the side skirt is made of is warping, and it's ability to warp is stronger that what is used to adhere it. That would mean to me that the part is made out of a material that isn't functioning as predicted and/or the process of making/painting/adhering part is causing the part to warp. So it may not be a simple replacement, if all the parts tend to warp. All the parts made so far would be of the same kind of material. So there are no parts to replace the side skirts with. They have to make either new parts out of some other material (not an afternoon project to cover ALL the cars with side skirts, LOL), or they have to get/find/create a way of adhering the side skirts so they will not pull away.

In this thread, several ideas were exchanged on the reasons why the side skirt thing occurs:
http://www.fiat500usaforum.com/showthread.php?7851-2013-Abarth-side-skirt-separation

This being the most important post:
http://www.fiat500usaforum.com/showthread.php?7851-2013-Abarth-side-skirt-separation&p=596857&viewfull=1#post596857

"notice from Fiat to hold off on any more repairs, that they are working on a new design that hopefully will work"

There ya go. Have to make new parts.

VTEC Mini
03-27-2013, 03:24 PM
Just got my Abarth back. I am still waiting on parts to replace the stereo (FINALLY!) and a hatch seal that attaches to the body. Those should be here in the next 5 days. I Also had "Mike" from headquarters in Detroit call me toady to talk about this light. He gave me his personal number in case it comes back. On the way to work I drove with the windows down and Chris Isaak blasting "Wicked Game" and such a fitting song it is. My Abarth, Sophia, is such a seductive, cunning, temptress that you just can't stay mad at her. As I was going through the switch backs blasting Chris Isaak all I could think was, "You're so bad but I love you anyway."

I have never been so seduced and P.W.'d by a car before, not even MINI.

Anyway here are the codes that were spit out of the computer; PICEA- 00 Boost side evap purge system performance and BI0AA- 4A Check configuration Fail.

shagghie
03-27-2013, 04:10 PM
. My Abarth, Sophia, is such a seductive, cunning, temptress that you just can't stay mad at her.

Anyway here are the codes that were spit out of the computer; PICEA- 00 Boost side evap purge system performance and BI0AA- 4A Check configuration Fail.

Great... my wife and I were thinking about the name Sophia if we succeed in making a baby together. Now it is completely out of the question after that description!

Those are both new codes to me... very interesting! Did they mention any 'root causes' or 'usual suspects'? Glad you got your baby back!

VTEC Mini
03-27-2013, 06:20 PM
Great... my wife and I were thinking about the name Sophia if we succeed in making a baby together. Now it is completely out of the question after that description!

Those are both new codes to me... very interesting! Did they mention any 'root causes' or 'usual suspects'? Glad you got your baby back!LOL! I can tell you this as a father of three girls; it wont matter what you name them they will have you wrapped around their little fingers.

No root cause. According to them it is a computer glitch and they are supposedly aware of it and coming out with a fix yet no one else that I know of has had this problem. Sophia does seem to perform like her old self where as before she seemed uneven and lacking power.

Andree
03-27-2013, 06:36 PM
Just got my Abarth back. I am still waiting on parts to replace the stereo (FINALLY!) and a hatch seal that attaches to the body. Those should be here in the next 5 days. I Also had "Mike" from headquarters in Detroit call me toady to talk about this light. He gave me his personal number in case it comes back. On the way to work I drove with the windows down and Chris Isaak blasting "Wicked Game" and such a fitting song it is. My Abarth, Sophia, is such a seductive, cunning, temptress that you just can't stay mad at her. As I was going through the switch backs blasting Chris Isaak all I could think was, "You're so bad but I love you anyway."

I have never been so seduced and P.W.'d by a car before, not even MINI.

How about a thread that is just for the codes, with the symptoms of what the car does. Then people can keep track of what is occurring. Many people read the forums without posting, so it helps them too.

And if/when there is an update for the computer system, that can be posted as well.

Like a reference section.

VTEC Mini
03-28-2013, 08:52 AM
How about a thread that is just for the codes, with the symptoms of what the car does. Then people can keep track of what is occurring. Many people read the forums without posting, so it helps them too.

And if/when there is an update for the computer system, that can be posted as well.

Like a reference section.That would be nice!