PDA

View Full Version : Some images of the 500L at the Dallas Auto Show from this weekend.

Leotxn
03-17-2013, 03:12 PM

They had it roped off, I really wanted to look inside and sit in it. Nice sized vehicle, alot bigger then the 500.

Andree
03-17-2013, 03:49 PM
It does look good! Thanks!

I like the body color bumper and side trim too. I think I would have straightened out that line that breaks at the exterior mirror, though.

Corrnaus
03-17-2013, 04:25 PM
This isnt a Lamborghini Aventador.. why is it roped off? I hate when car companies do that to an affordable car that they are trying to mass market. Auto shows are a great chance to see every vehicle in a class all together, with no sales people breathing down your neck. At the Toronto Auto Show they only have the 500L is preproduction trim and no 500L trekking. All the Focus and Fiesta ST's they were locked because they to were preproduction models

Fiat500USA
03-18-2013, 12:22 AM
...they were locked because they to were preproduction models

You answered your own question. If they let you in the car and a non-finalized pre- production piece - like a door handle for example - falls off, they would get killed on the internet here. I was at Detroit during press day and was allowed inside the car (only a very few of us were given access), however there were tons of media types trying in vain to gain access to the car.

Robert Nixon
03-18-2013, 09:27 AM
We saw a 500L at the Atlanta car show yesterday, same experience = it was roped off. Nice to see that it is so much bigger than the other models, but I think they missed a great opportunity to let folks get inside it. I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt on whether it was a pre-production model, but was still disappointed.

The Lexus LFA $300,000 car was roped off, but at least they had the door and the front hood open too!

Fiat500USA
03-18-2013, 10:40 AM
We saw a 500L at the Atlanta car show yesterday, same experience = it was roped off. Nice to see that it is so much bigger than the other models, but I think they missed a great opportunity to let folks get inside it. I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt on whether it was a pre-production model, but was still disappointed.

The Lexus LFA $300,000 car was roped off, but at least they had the door and the front hood open too!

It is definitely disappointing not getting in, but for every person willing to give them a break, there are a million others ready to gloat and slam them and that includes the media. Remember it is five months before the car arrives in showrooms.

Below is a pre-production Fiat 500. Notice the lack of carpeting on the rear seat backs. It gives the car an unfinished look and it was decided at the last minute to carpet the seat backs. If thousands of show goers saw this, it would have give them the wrong impression of the car. First impressions stick in people's minds and they can't take the chance of not being 100%.

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-eKYei-uu5qs/TOYKL6sv6tI/AAAAAAAAEZk/PxgdTyXWs7s/s640/DSCN4108.jpg

Corrnaus
03-18-2013, 11:07 AM
I cannot be that difficult to build a hand full of production ready model that can make the rounds to all the different auto shows in NA as well as hire some people in the booths that know a thing or two about FIATs, not just pretty faces, in short skirts.

Felnus
03-18-2013, 12:31 PM
Actually it is harder than you might think. Preproduction cars are, at best, vehicles that have ran down a test assembly line using parts that may or may not be actual parts used in a production car. At worst, they are hand built vehicles using parts that may or may not be like the final production pieces. In some cases, a preproduction car may not have a finished interior, parts like the nav system or radio may be mockups, the material on the seats or dashboard may not be what is used on a production car. And these preproduction pieces are often handmade, or in some cases 3D printed, and may cost quite a bit of money and aren't easily replaced if broken.

In the case of the 500L, these may be production European vehicles that have had the exterior trim, bumpers and headlights removed and replaced with North American preproduction pieces. The interiors may still be completely Euro with guages in metric, etc. and the materials used in Europe may be different than what ends up in the North American vehicle.

Until the actual production vehicles are available, I would expect them to be locked.