PDA

View Full Version : Fiat 500 Pop right rear tire wear.

fltrplntman
03-07-2013, 07:50 PM
For the last couple months, I've noticed a strange characteristic developing. I've notice the when we run across certain types of bumps in the road, (I live in NE Ohio) The car has a developed a skip to right or left depending on the bump.
Tonight I noticed accelerated tire wear on the right rear. We don't drive the car rough, and in the last month or so, I have been driving 90 miles a day during the week to school. (I'm always striving for fuel mileage.)
We have owned the car for a year, and had 11,500 at the beginning of Feb, and now have 13,000. So with the extra driving the tire wore more noticeably
Has anyone else noticed this?
Has anyone else had rear suspension problems??

Thanks,
Tim

TubeDriver
03-07-2013, 08:07 PM
For the last couple months, I've noticed a strange characteristic developing. I've notice the when we run across certain types of bumps in the road, (I live in NE Ohio) The car has a developed a skip to right or left depending on the bump.
Tonight I noticed accelerated tire wear on the right rear. We don't drive the car rough, and in the last month or so, I have been driving 90 miles a day during the week to school. (I'm always striving for fuel mileage.)
We have owned the car for a year, and had 11,500 at the beginning of Feb, and now have 13,000. So with the extra driving the tire wore more noticeably
Has anyone else noticed this?
Has anyone else had rear suspension problems??

Thanks,
Tim

Check tire pressure. Too high a pressure can cause "skipping" on bumps. Odd wear on a single tire suggests that the alignment is off. That could also account for odd handling. Get an alignment. I have had many new cars were the alignment from the dealer was marginal. Hit a pothole and you can throw off alignment as well.

Can you describe the wear pattern? Inside tread, outside tread, scalloped etc?

fltrplntman
03-07-2013, 08:34 PM
Check tire pressure. Too high a pressure can cause "skipping" on bumps. Odd wear on a single tire suggests that the alignment is off. That could also account for odd handling. Get an alignment. I have had many new cars were the alignment from the dealer was marginal. Hit a pothole and you can throw off alignment as well.

Can you describe the wear pattern? Inside tread, outside tread, scalloped etc?

Flat even just more wear than the other 3. Maybe with a slight more wear on the outside. 37psi in all four tires.
All the sipes on the Firestone Firehawks, are not present on the one tire. But all the others you can see them all. I had the right front strut replaced around 8,000 miles due to a clunk. I'm curious is this might be related.

TubeDriver
03-08-2013, 12:28 PM
Flat even just more wear than the other 3. Maybe with a slight more wear on the outside. 37psi in all four tires.
All the sipes on the Firestone Firehawks, are not present on the one tire. But all the others you can see them all. I had the right front strut replaced around 8,000 miles due to a clunk. I'm curious is this might be related.

I think the first thing I would do is get an alignment. Ask them to print out "before" and " after" alignment settings.

Replacing the strut in the front will affect front alignment but it should not have messed up the rear alignment. Did they realign the car or just eyeball it and call it a day?

Robert Nixon
03-08-2013, 02:54 PM
Have you been rotating the tires?

fltrplntman
03-10-2013, 05:30 PM
I think the first thing I would do is get an alignment. Ask them to print out "before" and " after" alignment settings.

Replacing the strut in the front will affect front alignment but it should not have messed up the rear alignment. Did they realign the car or just eyeball it and call it a day?
It was the Fiat dealer, so i take it as yes on that question. But here is the other thing I noticed. When I rotated the tires at 6000 miles, I put the rears straight to front, and the fronts, crossed to the rear. I noticed that the right front is worn more than the left front. So obviously the rear was out of alignment from the start?
Dunno. Calling the dealership on Monday.

fltrplntman
03-10-2013, 05:31 PM
Have you been rotating the tires?

Yes sir. I went to rotate them the second time, and noticed the difference. So I'm leaving them for the dealer to see.